“Returning locals - Will be back but some constructive criticism”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Monkey Tree Holiday Park
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Returning locals - Will be back but some constructive criticism”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stays - August 2013 & April 2014

Both times we have had fantastic short breaks at Monkey Tree the welcome is great, the facilities in Ash Field are modern, clean and warm and there is plenty of facilities to keep you occupied.

The Tarmac roads for scooters and playgrounds in every field are a huge hit with our kids (age 8 & 6).

It is in a good location being close enough to explore Cornwall in any direction but not actually in Newquay.

The only criticisms I do have which I shared with reception on our last visit is the outdoor pool area. The pool had been given a good clean and the surround a lick of paint on our last visit. However it still looks and feels slightly neglected, the surrounding sun beds being grey and looking dirty are a big part of this I think.

Also in comparison to other sites we have stayed on the food offering isn't great with a take away or a very small, un-inviting conservatory tagged on the end of the bar.

However this site is a favourite we will be back and I would and have recommended it.

Room Tip: Ash Field has the best facilities
1 Thank VLK39

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned home from a great week at monkey tree.
Fantastic location, caravan was the cleanest we have arrived to at any camp with beds made up and a decent welcome hamper including a cheeky bottle of white in the fridge :-)
Our little one loved the soft play area but at times it got let down by unsupervised older children
The Entertainment team made the week for us and the kids with something different each day they work long days tirelessly always with a smile thank you Liam Kirsty Charlie and all the multi taskers around the bar shop and arcade.
Nice fishing spot for family's day out but not great for the serious fishermen as is overstocked and tends to be the windiest part of the park but plenty of lakes nearby.
Would definitely return.

2 Thank LisaJonck
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

After returning home to Cambridge from my 3 days at Monkey Tree, I visited the park with my wife and two sons, and had a very enjoyable holiday.
The bar staff were friendly and we always had service with a smile. Bertie in particular is an asset to the holiday park as he was always professional in his duties.
I found the staff very accommodating, especially the entertainment team. It was nice to think that I could see my two boys with Charlie and Liam knowing that they were in safe hands and were with very responsible staff. I can not believe that Charlie has only been in this position for two weeks as she has a natural ability with children. We found that after watching Liam and Charlie, they worked well together as a team.
The rest of the park's amenities were very pleasant, especially the animal encounter, my children really enjoyed seeing the goats.
The only area of criticism was that the swimming pool was not yet ready. Maybe an indoor pool should be something to look for in the future.
But all in all a very pleasant 3 days in Cornwall, which I will be glad to bring my family back to.
After reading some of the negative reviews, I wonder if they were staying at the same park that we stayed at?!

Penryn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have just got home from a 3 night stay here at monkey tree. As a local Cornish family we just wanted a few days away as a party 12 in 3 tents we were welcomed on Monday lunch time by friendly reception. Our 3 pitches were in Palm field which were fairly central in the park near to the swimming pool and clubhouse. Our first night was horrendous for sleeping. It was stupidly cold and myself and my boyfriend ended up sleeping in my car. As I was the only one whose car stayed at the campsite I found that the shop was that over priced and only open for 3.5 hours a day that myself and another family member were forced to go into Newquay to go to morrisons to get fresh milk for the two toddlers ( aged 1 and 3) and get fresh food for meals.

We were pleased that the children had an indoor soft play area for the times where the sun was at its hottest and an outdoor area with trampolines and miniature golf for £2. The clubhouse had a reasonable priced bar and the children's entertainment with funky monkey was as standard. Liam and Charlie tried their best with entertaining the kids but I personally found that Charlie was lacking enthusiasm and was dressed inappropriately for entertaining kids.

The shower and toilets were very clean and pleasant to use and close to our pitch.

Now for a few points to improve on.
The arcade was enjoyable but the machines were not well maintained and quite a few were out of order including the change machine so you had to walk to the bar to get Change if they had it.
We were left very disappointed about it been the Easter holidays and the swimming pool been shut and everyday the reception staff promised it would be open the next day.
Educate your staff on improving techniques on talking to young children and teenagers. Rob in particular needs some help to remember the rules state that adults must supervise children within the kids play area but how can you supervise if you have rob coming in every five minutes telling us to get off the play equipment.

Apart from the points mentioned above it was an enjoyable break away

1 Thank Lauren R
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in monkey tree in August. We payed extra for a super deluxe pitch which you have your own private bathroom (which is great when camping) however, I was disappointed to the fact that I had paid more for this luxury but our pitch was based at the far back end of the site, which meant we had to use the car every night to go out to the onsite club as walking back with 2 young children would be possible, would have taken at least half hour. There are plenty of basic tent pitches a stones throw away from the facilities, so I think that could have been thought through better. The bathroom was fantastic and cleaned every day.

Having a 7 yr old and 5 yr old, the evening entertainment is important, but I feel for the size of the park, the club house is nowhere near big enough. I appreciate that if you want a decent table to get there early, but you expect to get a seat all the same. If you get there after 8, it is standing room only. We ended up going back to the tent most nights at about 8ish as the chairs and tables were too close to each other and we felt like we were sitting almost on other peoples laps, also kids struggled to get back to the table if they had been on the dance floor.

As we were camping, the price we paid seemed suitable enough for this park, however our friends stayed in a caravan and paid over twice the amount, so I would have had higher expectations.
Overall, the camp is nice, however, I think there are improvements to be made, especially on the entertainment facilities.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bianca F
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

theres not a lot to say about Monkeytree, it does what it says on the tin so to speak, there is something for everyone, here and dog freindly i have been coming here for the last 7 years now i have a seasonal pitch here with my caravan but the best of all i can use my caravan in the winter if i want thats how good they are here if i come down in the winter as i have been doing it only cost me £10 happy days and bring my dog as well lovr the place

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Very friendly and unobtrusive but we stayed in half term in October, so very out of season. Facilities good for children. Good clothes washing facilities available on site (£4.40 per wash) plus dryers. If you are camping the showers look OK. We rented a static caravan which was clean and functional and included a welcome pack of tea, bread etc. The main bedroom was damp and musty however which meant we didn't sleep in the room and on the sofa bed instead. The location is good - easy access to beaches and Newquay.

Room Tip: Choose the more expensive static caravan if you can - they look good
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Longbeach Hotel
Penventon Park Hotel
Penventon Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Redruth
Perran Sands Holiday Park - Haven

Been to Monkey Tree Holiday Park? Share your experiences!