“good value for money”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 7 September 2011

spent a week at cliffdene as part of coach party,all staff very efficient and friendly,food was good,my only complaint is the mattress in room 20 was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on,and the pillows not much better. A new mattress needed for a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel. I am delighted to read that you found my staff efficient and friendly, that you enjoyed our food and you found your stay good value for money.
Please accept my apologies for the uncomfortable mattress and pillows, which have been changed already.
Thank you for your comments again and I do hope to see you return to the Cliffdene Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
Bernie Korycki

There are newer reviews for Cliffdene Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2011

The staff were miserable. They had a set routine and made no effort whatsoever to provide a service. They say they have free parking, but the 'car park' can only handle about 5 cars, after that they suggest you pay £7 for every 12 hours nearby or shrug their shoulders. The bloke serving breakfast was hyper, but again had no idea that he could possibly stretch to accomodate your request. It was the breakfast they had on offer or nothing. You couldn't even say which bits you wanted or didn't, he effectively said that you could sort it out yourself on your plate. That said, he did do this with a big smile. An incredibly patronising smile, but a smile nontheless.

Stayed there as it was al lthat was left and certainly wouldn't do so again in a hurry.

It also smells a bit funny.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel in Newquay. I am of course grateful for your feedback, however I am disappointed that your review casts a negative image of our hotel.
We are often praised for the level of service and friendliness that my staff provide and you will notice from the majority of the reviews on Tripadvisor that many of our customers make comment to this. I am therefore surprised to read that you found them "miserable". If for any reason my staff failed to be friendly, helpful and professional, then I apologise, however I am very proud of my team and know that they are committed to their roles and try very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests.
If you would like to discuss the experience of your stay in greater detail I would be delighted to do hear from you.
In the meantime, thank you once again for writing a review and sharing your experience.

Bernie Korycki

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Stayed here during August and was allocated a lovely room. Very comfortable and clean.
Went in for breakfast and was greeted by a Very Pleasant Gentleman who explained everything and showned us to our table. Shame his appearance was an open shirt and what seemed to be Jean type trousers. (Not very professional looking) but as i said very polite and pleasant. you have to order your evening meal at breakfast which felt a little strange as we have never done this before (but understand why this is done).
My only concern was on the back of the door in the room (as in Most hotel) were the evacuation procedures stating the alarm press button was next to the fire door opposite the room. we were a little disturbed and worried by the fact that this door actually had a lock on it and not a push bar or one of those glass tubes that you break and that in the event of the hotel having a fire we wouldn't be able to get out of the building using that door.

we would use this hotel again as long as they sorted this issue out.
we was unfortunate to be staying in the hotel that burnt down in Newquay about 6 years ago so this is the reason we look at these things. i know we should have mentioned it whilst we were there but every time we were in reception area they were busy and didn't want to alarm anyone else. I am sure i would have been ok but !!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Advertised parking, no parking room filthy, hotel falling to pieces, food really bad, over priced. Will never go back!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Ryan080587
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Just returned from a 6 day coach holiday staying at this hotel, & am very suprised at the earlier negative review - I am even wondering if it was genuine. First, the food was excellent, with special orders and every possible request being enthusiatically attended to by the human dynamo Nick. The rooms were well furnished, in a style possibly more attractive to senior travellers, but that's just a matter of taste. They were warm and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. As I was travelling with my student daughter (she wanted to visit Cornwall) I didn't attend any of the entertainment put on every night but it certainly went down well with the rest of the group. The hotel is ideally situated opposite the beach, ten minutes walk into town and quiet and safe to go in and out of at night. We strolled home most nights around 11pm and would stop a while to look at the sea. On the last day the staff provided packed lunches for the journey home if requested, said goodbye to us on the coach and waved goodbye, saying they hoped to see us all again soon. I'm sure they will.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank OutoftownWales
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Just spent a week at cliffdene hotel food was disgusting.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank andycad
NewquayManager, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

i feel this review is unjust and has not given any reason for the comments, could it be the guest alone did not like the selection of the food.
have not received any other complaints during this time.
plus feel that the reviews on rooms, cleanliness, service and value is unjust and not justfied.
at no time was any of these issues brought to my attention

Reviewed 9 July 2011

Just had a five day, four night holiday at this hotel. Great location with just a steady five minute walk to the town centre and straight across the road from a stepped/sloped access onto a beautiful beach. We didn't try the climb back that way as to much for our age so waled along the beach and came out by the harbour to use the gentle slope followed by a walk back through the town. The staff were amazing and the food excellent with a wide variety each day to suit all tastes. The hotel provided entertainment each night which was quite good and the drink prices were comparable to pub prices. All in all a great place to stay but more likely to suit the older generation rather than a family with young children.

Room Tip: Room 35 at second floor with a sea view. Lift up to 2nd floor with a small walk to the room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family