“SHORT BREAK”

Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
london
“SHORT BREAK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

Originally booked for 1 night loved the hotel booked another 2 nights.Sarah on reception very helpfull Andy the night porter & barman top man.The breakfast manager very helpfull & professional,chambermaids very friendly.We had a seaview room wonderfull.GR8 value for money. Will be back. Phil & Pat Nichol

Room Tip: Sea view room a must.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james035
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Cliffdene Hotel. It is always encouraging to receive positive reviews from our guests and I am glad that you had an enjoyable time. Hopefully we may see you return in the future.
Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Bernie Korycki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

This hotel has a great location, opposite tolcarne beach. The staff were friendly and we had a nice view at breakfast. We had two single rooms, which were spacious. The bathrooms were modern with nice hot showers. rooms were very clean. downside was the rooms were very warm even with windows open. one had a view of a small enclosed courtyard. i had to keep window shut till late at 1am due to noise of other guests echoeing in courtyard, but slept well after spoke to porter, who was quick to help. one room had a view out from the side of hotel and was much quieter. The hotel is close to shops, cafes etc, great location, everywhere in walking distance.

Room Tip: ask for sea views . Cooking fan is noisy but goes off early at 8.30 pm and doesnt start till 7.30 am...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sunnyholidays321
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel. I am delighted to read that you found my staff friendly, you enjoyed our breakfast and found our bedrooms & bathrooms comfortable and clean.
Please accept my apologies for the noise coming from the courtyard next to the building.
On behalf of the team thank you once again for your kind comments and we hope to see you return in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

spent a week at cliffdene as part of coach party,all staff very efficient and friendly,food was good,my only complaint is the mattress in room 20 was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on,and the pillows not much better. A new mattress needed for a better nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel. I am delighted to read that you found my staff efficient and friendly, that you enjoyed our food and you found your stay good value for money.
Please accept my apologies for the uncomfortable mattress and pillows, which have been changed already.
Thank you for your comments again and I do hope to see you return to the Cliffdene Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

The staff were miserable. They had a set routine and made no effort whatsoever to provide a service. They say they have free parking, but the 'car park' can only handle about 5 cars, after that they suggest you pay £7 for every 12 hours nearby or shrug their shoulders. The bloke serving breakfast was hyper, but again had no idea that he could possibly stretch to accomodate your request. It was the breakfast they had on offer or nothing. You couldn't even say which bits you wanted or didn't, he effectively said that you could sort it out yourself on your plate. That said, he did do this with a big smile. An incredibly patronising smile, but a smile nontheless.

Stayed there as it was al lthat was left and certainly wouldn't do so again in a hurry.

It also smells a bit funny.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel in Newquay. I am of course grateful for your feedback, however I am disappointed that your review casts a negative image of our hotel.
We are often praised for the level of service and friendliness that my staff provide and you will notice from the majority of the reviews on Tripadvisor that many of our customers make comment to this. I am therefore surprised to read that you found them "miserable". If for any reason my staff failed to be friendly, helpful and professional, then I apologise, however I am very proud of my team and know that they are committed to their roles and try very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests.
If you would like to discuss the experience of your stay in greater detail I would be delighted to do hear from you.
In the meantime, thank you once again for writing a review and sharing your experience.

Bernie Korycki

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Tenby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Stayed here during August and was allocated a lovely room. Very comfortable and clean.
Went in for breakfast and was greeted by a Very Pleasant Gentleman who explained everything and showned us to our table. Shame his appearance was an open shirt and what seemed to be Jean type trousers. (Not very professional looking) but as i said very polite and pleasant. you have to order your evening meal at breakfast which felt a little strange as we have never done this before (but understand why this is done).
My only concern was on the back of the door in the room (as in Most hotel) were the evacuation procedures stating the alarm press button was next to the fire door opposite the room. we were a little disturbed and worried by the fact that this door actually had a lock on it and not a push bar or one of those glass tubes that you break and that in the event of the hotel having a fire we wouldn't be able to get out of the building using that door.

we would use this hotel again as long as they sorted this issue out.
we was unfortunate to be staying in the hotel that burnt down in Newquay about 6 years ago so this is the reason we look at these things. i know we should have mentioned it whilst we were there but every time we were in reception area they were busy and didn't want to alarm anyone else. I am sure i would have been ok but !!!!!!!!!!!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Advertised parking, no parking room filthy, hotel falling to pieces, food really bad, over priced. Will never go back!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Ryan080587
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Just returned from a 6 day coach holiday staying at this hotel, & am very suprised at the earlier negative review - I am even wondering if it was genuine. First, the food was excellent, with special orders and every possible request being enthusiatically attended to by the human dynamo Nick. The rooms were well furnished, in a style possibly more attractive to senior travellers, but that's just a matter of taste. They were warm and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. As I was travelling with my student daughter (she wanted to visit Cornwall) I didn't attend any of the entertainment put on every night but it certainly went down well with the rest of the group. The hotel is ideally situated opposite the beach, ten minutes walk into town and quiet and safe to go in and out of at night. We strolled home most nights around 11pm and would stop a while to look at the sea. On the last day the staff provided packed lunches for the journey home if requested, said goodbye to us on the coach and waved goodbye, saying they hoped to see us all again soon. I'm sure they will.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family