“Glad to be home”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We spent an week at Cliffdene Hotel Newquay. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and dealt with any request promptly. However the hotel is very tired and certainly needs updating. Our room overlooked what can only be called a derelict bomb site, and some a brick wall. Rooms at the front of the hotel had a sea view. The television in our room was old and flashed from black and white to colour frequently!
The breakfasts were good, however, the dinner can only be described as terrible. The menu sounded good but when the food arrived it was a disaster. Where did they find the chef? If you are looking for good food you will be disappointed. We will certainly not be returning to the Cliffdene.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea may be better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra H
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I will of course take on board your comments in relation to dinner and will set into motion improvements so that I do not receive similar comments.
I am glad however that you were impressed by my team.
In the meantime thank you once again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cliffdene Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

stayed 4 nights .bedrooms very comfortable.food very good .good variety.
staff very friendly.entertainment every night.came with applebys coach tour.
would definatly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bobbyskegness
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend people to stay with us.
In the meantime thank you once again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Newquay in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed just 2 nts in April on room only basis. The hotel had nightly evening entertainment but didn't use it, but as the location was central it was easy to get to the many pubs and restaurants in this lively town.

My room was adequate but being located at the back had a view only of broken down garages and an empty building plot adjacent being used as a skip by the looks of it. However I was not there for the hotel refineries, the town is where I wanted to be at a very keen rate, which I got through Laterooms

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank GaryCI
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted that you had a good time and that you enjoyed our hotel and Newquay.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Hotel is very dated and the rooms do need to be brought into the 21st Century. However we did have wonderful views of the beach. The food however is another matter. It was very poor for the evening meal and I wondered whether their chef had gone on holiday. The meals were not sufficient, lacked taste, no sauce with starters (like prawn cocktail without sauce!) and the soups were tasteless. We sometimes felt that we were only having a starter and dessert rather than a 3-course meal. Also the veg was very overcooked and did they only have carrots for dinner, where was the green veg! The only redeeming feature was that breakfast was just ok (no porridge for 2 days, why?). Some of the staff were pleasant but some were not. I certainly will not be going back to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lily E

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I do take your comments on board about the issues you experienced in the dining room and will look into them.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have just returned from a fantastic coach holiday with Glenton holidays staying at the Cliffdene hotel for 7 nights. Everything about the hotel was fantastic the staff were very friendly and helpful nothing was to much trouble for them. I was booked into a single room but what I got was a very spacious twin room it was very clean and comfortable. The food and service in the resteraunt was excellent. This hotel is in a great location far enough from the town centre to enjoy the peace and quiet but close enough to walk to the town if you wanted to.We also had fantastic nightly entertainment on every night of our stay. Overall I found this hotel excellent and would not hesitate to recomend it.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a view of a wall.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Janeg02
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write such a favourable review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We strive very hard to provide high standard service on every occasion and I am pleased to read that you found the Cliffdene Hotel excellent. Thank you very much for your custom and support, please be assured that this is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Me and two friends stayed in the Cliffdene Hotel for one night during a road trip through Cornwall. The location is quite nice on a road along the coast, a ten minute walk into downtown Newquay. The interior is quite dated and our room was very cold. The electric heater didn't work well enough to make us comfortable. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. We booked a single and a family room, as the biking website said the family rom would be too small for three adults - it was big enough for 4 people even, so we asked, if we could only get the family room. The receptionist was kind enough to give us a refund for the single bedroom, even though it was late in the evening and there was no chance he could get another customer to take it. The downside of the hotel was cleanliness, however. We had a balloon in the shower and doubted the bathroom ws cleaned at all. We found crisps crumbles in two of our three beds and the bed linen was crumpled which suspiciously looked as if someone had slept in the beds before. Breakfast was the based full English and toast with jams, nothing special. We were glad we only stayed one night and saved some money thanks to jot having to pay for the single room...

Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to our hotel. I am of course very disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience. I have already discussed your review with my Housekeeping team in order to rectify any shortcomings that may have existed on that day. Please be assured that we normally deliver a very high level of cleanliness both in bedrooms and public areas of the hotel.

I am pleased to read that the service you received in the reception was very friendly and that the receptionist was really helpful.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board. Please also accept my apologies for any shortcomings that you experienced.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Spacious, clean room with lovely en-suite but my sleep was ruined by constant, unbearably loud noise from the large kitchen extractor fan right outside my window, which woke me up at 0630 every day & ran until 2040 - even with the window closed it was torture! The room could only be accessed through the bar or lounge (a pain when it was busy) and situated on the side of the hotel, quite dark & facing wall of hotel next door, so no view. Was woken at 0500 one day by noisy new arrivals shouting & slamming doors. Service was a bit "Fawlty Towers"; only received booking confirmation after 3 phone calls (booked direct with hotel). Reception not always staffed, had to wait over 15 mins. one time for room key. Got wake-up call early one morning but I hadn't booked one, staff used wrong list! Fire alarm went off twice 'by accident' according to staff, "set off by glasswasher in bar"!

Room Tip: Rooms on kitchen side of hotel have no view and very loud noise from extractor fan. Some ground floo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SaraW350
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I'm sorry to read that although you found the hotel to be good, there are a number of areas which you feel could be better. I will of course take your comments on board as I very much appreciate constructive feedback.