“Disapointed”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Nice clean hotel good location rooms basic but clean.lovely welcome greeted on arrival lovely pleasant young man. Food a bad let down. Food was badly cooked badly presented and a total let down even after complaning from day one. Toast was cold and hard, eggs under cooked, portions small even for a pensioner and young teenagers. meals did not come up to there description on the menu.The vegetables were cool and under cooked. soup 75% water. Yorkshire pudding impossible to cut or even brake into pieces

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank scottie308
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel following your recent stay. Your comments are very constructive and please be assured that we appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry to read that although you found the hotel to be nice and clean, I am of course very disappointed that you did not have an enjoyable experience in our Restaurant.
Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I was booked in there for a week on a Coach Trip on 21st July with loads of others..I went last year at the same time and although the Hotel was in 'Administration' then everything was OK.Not this year.It's got new owners.While the staff are good and do there best they badly need a new Chef and Manager who is not surly and abrupt and takes his part in the running of the hotel.The food at breakfast was ok but at dinner was abysmal.Soggy frozen vegetables,tough meat.I was told I was allowed 1 roll with my soup at dinner but I had eaten it before the soup arrived.Fish and chips on the last night was the last straw.Great big piece of batter but virtually nothing inside it.If they carry on like this they will go bankrupt.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.Some of the others have no outlook.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard C

I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about the aspects about the hotel that did not meet your expectation, in particular the hotel’s food quality for your evening meals and service times. We have genuinely received excellent feedback from other travelling parties who have recently visited the hotel regarding the food. The restaurant staff are assigned to individual tables but it appears that our standard restaurant service times and quality of food have not been met on this occasion, for which I must apologise. Thank you for you kind comments regarding the friendly hospitality, and the quality of the accommodation that you did experience. Your feed back is very important to us and we really your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We booked a late room at the Cliffdene. On arrival the staff were friendly and check in was quick. Our room was very basic but clean. The view was nothing special due to our room location but for £60 I didn't expect it to be. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were awful! Lumpy and hard. We didn't eat at the hotel it was literally just somewhere to sleep. The hotel could do with updating but overall not bad. On the plus side check out was very relaxed and we were told 11-1130am which was a bonus!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsCW1982

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will of course take on board your comments in relation to the pillows - as you know we do try very hard to exceed our guest's expectations and are always taking feedback on board in order to continually improve.
In the meantime thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cliffdene Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Having read some of the reviews on this site, I wasn't sure what to expect, but this hotel was a great place to stay for a week in Newquay. It's ideal if, like me, you want peace and quiet, stunning views from your window (room 35 - worth paying a supplement for a seaview) great beaches nearby and a friendly welcome from the staff. Bernie runs the place very efficiently, backed up by Csaba in the restaurant and a host of British and Hungarian staff, all of whom went out of their way to make me feel at home - especially important when you're a single traveller.

The breakfasts were very good and set me up for a day's bodyboarding, walking, running and a bit of work (the broadband wifi works well in the public rooms downstairs - not so well in the bedrooms). I didn't eat at the hotel in the evenings, preferring to sample local restaurants for variety. The Living Space bar and brasserie at the Watergate Bay Hotel was the best by far (as was the beach there for bodyboarding).

A word of warning. This hotel caters almost exclusively for over 65s coach tours during the week. The downside is the evening entertainment - not my cup of tea (but very popular with the oldies). The upside of course is that everyone is in bed with a hot cocoa by 10.30pm - some of the quietest nights I've ever spent in a hotel - and a week of sleeping like a log!

Room Tip: Room 35 is on the top floor, away from the lift and any air conditioning units, with a great view of...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TravellingMan1963

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We very much appreciate our guests taking the time to do this and to speak favourably of our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Thank you for your kind words again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cliffdene Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

spent a couple of days at cliffdene ,friendly staff,good value room and breakfast .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark T
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback so on behalf of the team thank you for your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We spent an week at Cliffdene Hotel Newquay. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and dealt with any request promptly. However the hotel is very tired and certainly needs updating. Our room overlooked what can only be called a derelict bomb site, and some a brick wall. Rooms at the front of the hotel had a sea view. The television in our room was old and flashed from black and white to colour frequently!
The breakfasts were good, however, the dinner can only be described as terrible. The menu sounded good but when the food arrived it was a disaster. Where did they find the chef? If you are looking for good food you will be disappointed. We will certainly not be returning to the Cliffdene.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea may be better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra H
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I will of course take on board your comments in relation to dinner and will set into motion improvements so that I do not receive similar comments.
I am glad however that you were impressed by my team.
In the meantime thank you once again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cliffdene Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

stayed 4 nights .bedrooms very comfortable.food very good .good variety.
staff very friendly.entertainment every night.came with applebys coach tour.
would definatly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bobbyskegness
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend people to stay with us.
In the meantime thank you once again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Newquay in the near future.