“Great value place to stay”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Wimborne
“Great value place to stay”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I stayed at the Cliffdene for 3 nights with my 2 1/2 year old son. The hotel gave me a very good rate for a double room with breakfast and were very understanding that sharing with a small child is not the same as 2 adults using the room and having breakfast.

The room was simple, functional, with pleasant furnishings and very clean with crisp white bedding and soft white towels in the shower room. Everything worked just fine and the room was not in any way tired or scruffy. We had very cold weather but were easily able to maintain enough heat and ventilation. I didn't request a sea view so our room overlooked a courtyard but it was very quiet and out of the ripping wind.

The public areas of the hotel are basic but perfectly in line with expectations for this price range and the dining room was very pleasant with a light feel and not stuffy or too hot as they often are.

The staff were very friendly and were happy to store and heat milk at bedtime for the little one. The restaurant staff were very charming and we enjoyed the breakfasts where there was a decent choice of cereals, some fruit and a nice cook-up (they had a vegetarian option which was great for me).

The only slight issue for me was that parking directly outside was limited and I had to park in the off-site car park (only approx 200 metres) away twice at night. Normally it would be no problem at all, but the logistics of loading, unloading and taking kit to and from the room with a very tired small child made the process a bit more complex and physical than normal.

The location is great for central Newquay with a beach and clifftop walk directly opposite. Newquay is a bit scruffy generally with a few disused hotels and premises and lots of fast food/surf shops, but I knew that and enjoy both it and the amazing coast in the area. There is a derelict cleared site on one side of the hotel, which isn't attractive but neither is it dirty or an issue that affects a stay there.

We had a very pleasant stay indeed by any standards and taking into account the price, for me this was top value for a short break. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: I was on floor 2 in room 41 and it was fine if a bath and sea view are not needed.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Bernie and his team who will be pleased to read them.

Unfortunately, car parking is limited and I am sorry that this was an issue for you in your particular situation.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Newquay at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
BONNIE SCOTLAND
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Stayed for 5 nights with my first ever coach trip. Hotel was quite a bit better than expected with my single room being much roomier and more pleasant than is usually dished out to us solo travellers. The room and ensuite shower room were all clean and tidy. The staff were excellent and in particular the restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful even though they seemed to be understaffed and had their work cut out.

It was a great shame that their chef let the side down considerably. He or she appeared to enjoy burning much of the food i.e. the "full" breakfast each morning, apart from being a bit on the sparse side, always had one tasteless but burnt almost black sausage. When I tried poached eggs, one was virtually raw!. There was a very good choice for dinner which was encouraging but, again, the portions were minute and, yet again, burnt offerings appeared in the form of 3 or 4 tiny "roast" potatoes which were almost completely black. On one evening, a lady at my table couldn't even touch the fish as it was again raw inside.

As I believe this is meant to be a 3 star hotel, clearly the food is far from that and no self-respecting chef would have allowed burnt offerings or uncooked food out of the kitchen. If that was the standard in March when the place was almost empty apart from our coach trip, then I shudder to think how the chef would cope in the middle of the High Season. In my opinion, the meals are a very important part of any holiday and can sometimes actually make or break it so that side of things was very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank THEAULDFART
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I really was sorry to hear that whilst you found the hotel to be nice and clear, the food quality and quantities did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

We pride ourselves on the level of service and hospitality provided and it is very clear that on this occasion we were let down. We have taken steps to ensure that this is not able to happen again in the future.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.
Warfield, berks
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Spent 4 nights here. We were also there with the International students mentioned in a previous review, but had no problems at all. The slight drawback was that the bar was shut, but when we asked at reception, they did serve us a drink which we were able to enjoy in the sitting room! Despite the hotel being full on 3 of the 4 nights (when the students left some coach parties arrived!), we were served breakfast of tea, coffee, toast and full English with barely any waiting at all. The room (number 34) was at the front of the hotel, and had magnificent views of the beach and the ocean. It wasn't noisy at all despite being on the main road, as the double glazing was excellent. If I was being picky, I'd say it could have done with a slighty bigger tv!

We used the hotel really only for bed and breakfast, as we were up and out everyday, and also ate out as well. I can have no complaints on this basis. The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast service was corteous and speedy, and all the staff we had any dealings with were well mannered and helpful. For the money, this was excellent value!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have magnificent views!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

I was pleased to read you had enjoyed your stay during the student visit to Newquay as well.

I will pass your positive feedback to my general manager and staff I am sure they will be please to read them.

Once again many thanks.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Unfortunately there were 50 young people on a school exchange in the hotel. There was a set menu to suit them (we were told dinner would be served at 7pm although it was stated it was between 6 and 8 pm on hotel info) and the bar was not allowed to open. The noise as they partied in the room next door was unbelievable, so much so that we had to complain at 12.45 am and the night porter intervened. Breakfast was pretty average. I must state that Michael the young manager came to speak to us the next afternoon and offered us either a room on the next floor above them or a transfer to the Great Western Hotel, as we had eaten there the previous night, we chose the latter. The lady Assistant Manager needs more training in customer relations in order to bring her up to the standards of how Michael handled the situation. On the good side they did not charge us for this one night stay. I suggest they inform other customers in future if they have young people staying, on this scale, as it does disrupt the leisurely stay for others. Michael is a good manager for a much better hotel, thank you for your help young man.

Room Tip: They are good sea view rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann S
Thank you for your recent review.

I was sorry to read you have not enjoyed your stay but please to read that you had been looked after by part of the management team.

I will be speaking with my General Manager who was away at the time about other personnel and making sure we do not take other leisure business whislst taking large group bookings.

Once again my sincere apologies.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Booked a single room to have somewhere to sleep for a night. Didn't expect very much for the price, but I was very wrong. Friendly welcome at Reception, super room with view over the sea, comfortable bed, warm, very modern bathroom. Bar staff great, breakfast (included) excellent so a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank keith1001340
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013

I was pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay and that you got great value for money.

We look forward to welcomig you back at the Cliffdene Hotel.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Nothing much to add except to say that the Cliiffdene is an hotel with its own character and very friendly staff. We had a wonderful sea view room. Just like waking up to the Meditarranean each day, but it was too hot on account of the unseasonable heat wave we were experiencing, and there was no a//con. Food good but there is a lack of pleasant sitting areas. Could do with a nice sea-facing lounge!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dinonorwich2016
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Many thanks for your recent review and positive comments.

I will speak with my manager about the negative points. The restaurant is sea facing although you may not have had a table near the window.

Once again many thanks.

Darwen
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed here one night whilst visiting Newquay as it was one of the closest to Newquay Station and right on the seafront. We did not have to pay extra for single rooms which were only £22 each and both had en suite facilities. The rooms were basic but immaculately clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. Just a short walk to the Pizza Express if you are not eating at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ladieswholunchDarwen
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Many thanks for your review.

We quite often do special prices for some of our budget rooms and look forward to feedback. Once again many thanks.