“Great location but very uncomfortable”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Great location but very uncomfortable”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in this hotel for just one night and unfortunately didn't get any sleep at all. The room was incredibly hot and the towel rail in the bathroom was on full so that made using the shower a very hot experience! The bed was rock hard, we had to sleep on top of the quilt to pad it out a bit. The pillows were very lumpy and mine both had brown stains on them. As this was a full price room, £80 for the night with no breakfast, we thought it was going to be a lot nicer than it was. The decor was very old fashioned and there were marks all over the mirror where stickers had been peeled off and left their backing behind. The location was the only saving grace as it is just across the road from the steps down to the beach.
On our arrival we were dealt with by a mature woman who had a funny idea of how a hotel should be run. She made a mistake with our booking and said we had two single rooms. When I said this was not what we had booked she made a silly "aaahh you want to be together? " comment which was rather rude. Customer service was not her strong suit!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah072
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay or find the hotel to be to your liking, we do believe that we offer value for money compared with other hotels in Newquay. We know that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and we have an ongoing maintenance programme for this. We are always looking at aspects which could be tackled in the short term and have certainly taken your comments on board to aid this process.

If any of our team appeared to be unhelpful or rude I really must apologise. This is not what we would expect from our team members and they have all been reminded that it is very important to ensure that guests are made to feel welcome and indeed are dealt with professionally at all times.

Thank you once again for your review.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Cliffdene with Leons travel. Restaurant a shambles. Waiters did not know what decaf coffee was. Breakfast disappointing. Having to sit on a small table with three other couples. Cramped.
One evening there was one sprout each in the dish !!!!!
Will not travel with Leons again especially as they use run down hotels.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Lakeslover186377
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was sorry to note that you did not enjoy your dining experience, not least because we received some good feedback regarding this aspect of our service recently. As a direct result of your comments however a “mystery guest” visit has been arranged to the property so that we can assess the ongoing standards there and make any changes needed.

Thank you again for your review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

With Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Lichfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

the Cliffdene Hotel the service overall was ok the staff was friendly and the rooms was clean but the restaurant was very disorganised and the service was not brilliant. The carpet was very rippled over the hotel with could be a danger to some people. the headboards was ripped or very worn and not all beds was comfortable. and the hotel did not look appealing or inviting from the outside
I wound proble not stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank thewatchdog12
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was very sorry to read your comments which have been taken on board and investigated with the Management Team at the hotel.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case on this occasion.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and we are sorry that you do not feel able to return to us again in the future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The location is superb just across the road from Tolcarne beach with views right round the bay. Comfortable bedroom and good shower. Lovely, freshly decorated dining room with views to the sea. Good breakfasts with range of options. Local buses for the town centre and nearby resorts stop at Cliffdene. Hotel staff obliging and helpful. Cliffdene is good value for money - this was my second stay. The hotel is old and is showing its age but all areas I saw were clean and tidy.

Room Tip: Views best at front. Rooms at back are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank jennymatthew42
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to the Hotel Team who will be pleased to read them.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Kind Regards.
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Beds unbelievably uncomfortable - they were probably past their best about 20 years ago!
Pillows lumpy and worn. Carpets smelly and stained( It looked like someone had been sick but it hadn't been shampooed properly.) I kept my shoes on the whole time. Torn and stained headboards.Wardrobe broken. Furniture old and tatty. Torn net curtains.(Didn't need curtains as the windows were so filthy). Spent two VERY uncomfortable nights.
In my opinion this hotel needs a complete refurbishment. It is part of The Grand Hotels Group -
Grand - it is NOT! The dining room was the best public room in the hotel. You wouldn't want to sit in the other public areas as they are completely uninviting and drab.
It is situated opposite a nice beach and a short walking distance in to town.
There was plenty of hot water and the towels were white and fluffy. The reception staff
were extremely helpful. Breakfast was ok. Our room overlooked housing at the rear of the hotel, but at least it was quiet. Overall not worth the £80 for B&B per night.
Would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at front have a busy road and street lights. Rooms at rear are quiet but overlook housing.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank supergran11
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Many thanks for your recent review.

I was very disapointed to read your review and the comments you have made.

I am visiting the hotel next week and will look into your comments and the room in particular.

I will forward your review to my general manager for his comments before my arrival in Newquay next Monday.

Please except my sincere apologies for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Avoid this room at all costs, disgusting view out of the window of a filthy wall, window ledges & pipes covered in pigeon droppings as this was a roosting area for the said birds. They were noisy at night coming & going & woken up every morning at 5.30am by the dozens that were landing there. Also rubbish hanging from some netting which birds were sitting on & ground filthy with various discarded items.
Went on a group holiday & while some of the rooms were ok eg. sea views, mine was of a low standard, carpet stains, hole in wall behind bed head, hole in wall caused by door knob (this could be fixed by using a door stop on the floor).
Bed very uncomfortable, rock hard gave me aching bones, had to sleep on the duvet to get any sleep.
Food bland & some veg hardly cooked.
Staff friendly enough but seemed rushed when it came to serving meals.

Room Tip: if you cannot see the room before accepting, avoid staying at this hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your recent review.

I was sorry to read that you had not had a very good experience at the Clffdene Hotel. I was wondering if you had discussed these problems with the general manager? As I am sure he would have moved rooms for you should he had one available.

I am visiting the hotel next week and will take these points up with him.

My sincere apologies for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed for 4 nights with my partner. The hotel is ok, the room we stayed in was clean and tidy although decor could do with an update and the pillows were very lumpy! Our view was houses and bins which was disappointing.
The hotel was quiet which is a bonus as most hotels we have stayed in been bit noisy!
Staff in the Cliffdene were nice and friendly, inc the hard working restaurant staff, the breakfasts were ok but sadly the evening meals were in our opinion tasteless or overcooked!
I only gave hotel 3 stars as the food was a real let down and I feel the Cliffdene should take this
on board and discuss with their chef.
Cliffdene is a reasonable priced hotel with lovely beach at doorstep which to be honest made the holiday for us.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room if you can get one
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Izzy092
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Many thanks for your recent review.

I was please to read the positive points of your reveiw but disapointed to read you did not enjoy the food. I was there myself a couple of weeks ago and ate in the restaurant and found the food to be very good. I will have a discusion with my general manager and Matt the head chef when I visit again next week.

Once again many thaks for your comments.