“great views and location”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Swansea, United Kingdom
“great views and location”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business and got a great rate on booking.com.I booked a single and was given a double the room was good and very comfortable.the staff are very pleasant and helpful.The hotel does need a little tlc in places but is a cliff top hotel and will always need money spending on it.The public rooms down stairs are very wecoming. My breakfast was freshly cooked in the morning and was excellent,I would certainly come back again,if you want a top 4 star hotel this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: try to get a seaview
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ollypip
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here on the 15th Nov for one night. For the cost I can't find any fault. I agree with other reviews that the decoration is a little tried but hey ho!! The room and bathroom were clean, the bed was comfy and the breakfast was adequate. What more can you ask for!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tomwill06
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. It is nice to get complementary comments along with the constructive comments and it was pleasing to read you had enjoyed your stay.

Once again many thanks.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during summer and this is best place to stay in newquay in terms of location, food and view from hotel. There are excellent restaurants in walking distance from this hotel and there is a parking arrangement nearby. All in all a great place to stay

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vini_g1983
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I will not be coming back here and advise no one to book here I think the customer service was appalling! the breakfast was very bad no wonder they do not have a 5 star on food hygiene, the room was ok but mold on the walls. The only good thing about this hotel is the location as it's 5 minutes walk from the town centre and opposite the beach.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Missspphiek
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

Whilst we know we have improvements to make around the hotel, we really do pride ourselves on our quality of food and hospitality so I was very sorry to learn that the food quality did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be assured that all of your comments have been taken on board and we are sorry that you do not feel able to return to us again in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here as part of a tour (1 night), so didn't make the choice myself!

The hotel wasn't terrible but it was very dated. I was in a twin room which seemed to back onto the kitchen/service area so was noisy until about 23:00 and again early in the morning.

The bathroom was nice and modern but the room was very dated and tired looking. The beds were divans which had seem better days and weren't not very stable and creaked a lot.

Breakfast was OK but the cereals on offer were low quality - a bit like the Tesco Everyday brand Weetabix I purchased by mistake a while back! I can't comment on the cooked meals as I didn't sample them.

I didn't mind staying here for one night but any more would have been pretty tiresome!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Many thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Spent two nights here in September. The view was great overlooking the sea. The hotel is a bit dated, with textured walls in the bedroom and a bsdly worn stair carpet. The room however was clean and comfortable with adecent shower. There was a really irritating street light across the road which was like a spot light shining in through our window on the second floor, hardly the hotels fault but irritating none the less.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is limitef parking infront of the hotel and we had to use another hotel carpark arond the corner.

This is a 3 star rated hotel and is good value for money. Breakfast wad very nice and you are only 5 minutes from the town on foot.

Room Tip: Sea view is very good, but the road is very busy and noisy (and I live in London!)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vince P
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your comments and we do hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week on a booked trip overall the holiday was good. I was disappointed to see the hotel manager smoking in the kitchen. As the restaurant staff was bringing the food out my table could see the hotel manager smoking. And again he was doing it at the reception desk. We saw that it was an electronic cigarette but be that may it dose not give a good impression. And the way he spoke to guests on the table next to us was rude.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Isabela1313
Gemma A, Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay with us recently.

I agree that smoking an electronic cigarette in the kitchen or in reception is clearly not acceptable and I must assure you that the staff member involved has been reprimanded and this will not happen again. I can only offer my sincere and genuine apology for this.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and do hope that you will be able to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Many thanks