“Nice View by the sea - that's all!!!!”

The Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
somerset uk
“Nice View by the sea - that's all!!!!”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I booked this at the last minute on Friday. I got a seaview room. Upon arrival the hotel seemed ok. Check in was nice and quick. Got to our sea view room and it looked like it had not been looked after. It looked like a storage room full of furniture no other room wanted. It had a double bed - too small and not enough bedding as it was a bit cold this weekend. It also had a single bed and bunk beds in. The room lacked any kind of homely feel to it. The bathroom was appalling. Shower was hard to use and water trickled out. Toilet was a bit dodgy and my little boy got stuck in the bathroom as the door was hard to open. The room smelt a bit funnny like a perm smell. We had an evening meal and my little boy had sausages and chips - the chips came out darkl brown looked like they had been in the fryer some time! My husband had soup he said it was alright and my menu said 5 king prawns - i got 3!!! There was no bowl of water to clean my fingers with so it was all a bit of a mess really. The tables were very small to eat on and we struggled for space. The main course my husband has lasagne - i saw other lasagnes and it looked nice but my husbands was cold and thrown onto a plate with no care and attention. I had the sea bass - interesting - it came with potatoes and a side salad and a mushroom sauce thrown over it !!! Quite odd especially as the sauce was all over the salad. Breakfast was our next treat. The hotel does not provide plenty to choose from - meat, bit of fruit, toast youghurt or a buffet fry up - the fry up food was cold and we went to eat as soon as it opened. I did not like the butter asit made me gag and also the scrambled eggs were like vomit. These were not locally scourced products as described on the menu. The staff were polite in the restuarant. The trables need to be bigger and the stafff need to clear the tables away as we were balancing our plates etc to get more room. I was told it was on Britain's finest website but I think the staff did not know what it was. The downstairs looks ok but the room we stayed in was definately not worth the price we paid for it. Try heading over to the Headland or Watergate Bay for a comparison. Oh and also we could not park in the car park at all and also there is no free internet - please get with the times!!!

Room Tip: Dont go there - try a travel lodge
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank michyandmatty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Shown on our brochure (Crusader Holidays) as a 3 star hotel, we were very pleasantly surprised on our arrival. The room, although not a seaview room, was large and comfortable. Alhtough advertised as Digital, the TV in fact had only the five terestrial channels. Also there was not much shelf / storage space in the bathroom for toiletries. Otherwise, the room was fine.
The food and service in the dining room were both excellent. We did not make much use of the bar or any of the other hotel facilities.
The hotel enjoys a fantastic position, overlooking the Fistral Beach, affording superb views from the Dining Room at breakfast and dinner. It is also just the right distance from the town; close enough for a short bus ride or walk, and far enough not to be disturbed by any noise from the town.
All in all, a very comfortable and enjoyable stay, and we would recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mike_jepson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Travelled in May with my husband for a special birthday. Upgraded to seaview room which was very disappointing. Small room and bed def not double. Does not reflect what is seen on the internet. Decided to upgrade to one of the two "Best" rooms the hotel has to offer. One is Contempoary and the other more Jane Austin in decor... lots of chintz!

We opted for the Contemporary, Although much larger with seaview for what is supposed to be the BEST room in the hotel the wallpaper was peeling away from the walls. One of the windows does not lock so remains open although didn't mind the noise from the sea however very cold at night! The wonderful looking shower not worth using as has no power and water just trickles out. We did complain but think this is a known problem and nothing was done. Has large spa bath toiletires supplied were the same as standard rooms. Would be nice to have something to use in th bath instead of using the shower gel! Also would be nice to have upgraded products. The Toilets is loose from the wall and had to be used tentatively! Flat screen TV but basic channels or freeview or sky!

Dissappointed with Breakfast which was cold each day and I had to request for it to be microwaved. They leave it out but do not turn on the warmers. The location is very good close to the beach. Would be better suited to families as we had a look at family rooms which were large and well catered for.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Seaview
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jonak_10
EspCustomerRelations, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate both positive and negative feedback. We are sorry that the Seaview room did not live up to your expectations on arrival and that the upgrade to one of our four best rooms was not of value to yourselves. All our rooms are different shapes and sizes due to the style of the property,
We have passed the problems you had with the room onto our Maintenance team who will be looking into these issues immediately.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Just returned from a five night stay at this hotel over half term. The hotel caters for all age groups and was very child friendly. We were impressed with the facilities, which include a pool, steam room, jacuzzi and indoor and outdoor play areas and my football mad son loved the football pitch. The laundry room was also very useful and inexpensive. The staff were friendly and very attentive and the food was very impressive, we planned to eat out but ate in the hotel every night. This hotel is in a perfect position to enjoy fantastic views of Fistral Beach. A lovely stay and we would definately return. Kids are still talking about it!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Becki36
EspCustomerRelations, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Thank you for your kind comments - we look forward to your return.
Tring
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed for a bank hoilday break with young children we rarely let loose to eat anywhere other than McDonalds. Food was good and service excellent. The staff were really helpful and the views of Fistral beach excellent. The kids already want to go back !

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tetsmoke
Thank you for your comments!
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Just returned from a 4 day trip to visit friends in Newquay and stayed at this hotel after getting a booking within my budget. It is a great hotel with lovely staff, room's, service, views and location. My room was better than I imagined it would have been when I placed the booking, this considering that I was a solo traveller on a tight budget and had only paid for what I thought was a value single room. However, the size of the room was very very good to me. It was spotlessly clean and fresh as was the bathroom, and kept to this standard every day of my visit! Great comfy bed! The hotel is also a green hotel, with a fantastic door card idea that controls the electricity usage in your room by inserting the card when you enter the room(turns all the power to the room on /off). The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, I even had a note posted through the door on my first morning to check that I was enjoying my stay and to remind me to ask if there was anything that I needed, which I think is great customer service and just a nice touch. I met a member of the housekeeping team this morning, although briefly, and again this proved to me what a great team The Espalande has, cheerful, happy and accommodating. I didn't stay at he hotel with any restaurant bookings but would in the future. The location is spot on, stunning views over Fistral beach for a start, with grassland and benches across the road from the hotel, that personally If I had the time I could sit and admire the view from all day long! The walk from the hotel into town is short and enjoyable, along either a coast path across Fistral or around the golf course that is opposite. I arrived by car but apart from a short day trip around the coast, I did not have to use it. I paid to have a space in the car park at the hotel and it was there with my name on it and a pillar to keep it there when/if I moved away. Many good things to say about my short trip to The Esplande, I even extended my trip by a day because I felt welcome and comfortable. All in all I would not and won't choose anywhere else to stay in Newquay on future visits.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank daveyorme
Thank you for your comprehensive comments. We hope you are able to return to The Esplanade again in the near future.
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Surprisingly good dinner. Comfortable clean room,helpful & cheerful staff. Lovely view over Fistral Beach. Great value

• Stayed May 2011