“Great place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the beginning of April.
The lobby of the hotel is nice and light and modern and so is the bar. The staff welcome you and were very friendly. You can have a coffee and sit in the comfortable chairs looking over the beach and watch the surfers. The dining room is very spacious and very clean. When we got to our room it was quite modern with excellent views. Unfortunately as soon as we unpacked some kid in the room above decided to play trampoline on the bed. I don't like to complain but we came to relax and we didn't want to put up with noise. Anyway, the staff couldn't do enough to rectify the problem and we were offered another room. It is a family hotel, something I didn't really think about when booking. The staff were very apologetic even though it wasn't their fault.
Every member of staff was friendly. I can't understand some comments on here that say they weren't. Perhaps they expect people to walk round with cheesy smiles on their faces all the time. They were very helpful and made conversation, especially the Bar Manager and his staff. The breakfast staff were also good. They rallied round making sure people had what they wanted.
We only had breakfast, but it was very good. Traditional breakfast, as well as fruit, cereals and lovely pastries, all fresh and plenty of them.
The location is great. Having stayed in Newquay several times I was a little concerned about the distance to walk into town, but it really is only about a fifteen minute walk. You can cross the road and go down some steps and you're on Fistral beach. Lewinnick Lodge bar and restaurant is a pleasant 20 minute walk and the views are amazing, so is the beer and the food.
If I was going to be picky I would only say that the two bedrooms I saw could really do with a little redecoration. But this hotel is definitely a three star hotel.
Overall it's a great place to stay and we will return and we would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nsimster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Bucks
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here overall. The public areas were nicely decorated and pleasant. However, the staff were not terribly friendly and tended to chat mongst themselves a bit too much. We booked a Family Room with a sea view. It was brilliant - great view as promised, spacious and clean. The evening entertainment was a bit dire though, and drove us out of the hotel. The swimming pool was good to have but could really have done with some lockers to leave your clothes in while you swim.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BucksRazz
LauraCameron, General Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall but disappointed that you didn't receive the high standard of service that we expect from all of our team. We are looking to put some lockers in the changing areas in the near future and hope to see you again soon
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I wanted a proper holiday for my family during the second week of Easter (no cooking or washing up for me!), so booked a family room with bed, breakfast and dinner. The website was good and thankfully the hotel lived up to it! I needn't have worried!
The hotel had everything we could have wanted, and more! The room we stayed in was a good size with good storage and bunk beds for the kids (3 and 5 year old) - good and functional. We had patio doors that opened onto the kids outdoor play area - the kids were in their element and outside on it as often as they could allowing my husband and I a coffee and chat! We opted for non sea view room, but you could just see it out of our room anyway. The bathroom was a little dated but I don't see that as a problem as long as everything works and is clean and tidy. Only downside was the bath which was a jacuzzi bath which I don't know if it worked or not, but the water jet holes are very inviting for little fingers! A standard bath would be better for a family room in my opinion.
We ate far too well this week - our powers of resistance were futile against the wonderful breakfast spread of full cooked English, pastries, cereal and yoghurts etc! The croissants were a little dry on a couple of mornings, but that is the only complaint I have. The 3 course evening meal was changed on a daily basis and was inviting and tasty!! The kids menu was good and they also offered small portions of the adults menu which I liked. So everyone was very happy and well fed. The waiting staff brought crayons and pictures to colour at every meal which was brilliant. The kids also had a bedtime story under the door every night which was a lovely touch.
A very friendly hotel with soft indoor play area for the kids, child friendly swimming pool and kids activities each day too (thanks Charlotte!)! So glad it wasn't one of those tacky hotels doing adult entertainment in the evenings!!!
Location was brilliant being a stones throw from Fistral Beach - fabulous views out of the front windows! All in all a fantastic holiday at a super hotel with brilliant staff and great food - what more could we want?! Thanks to all at The Esplanade - We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 301, 302 and 303 have direct access from the room via patio doors to the kids outdoor play are...
2 Thank Hopscotch2468
We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased that you managed to enjoy a lovely family holiday with no washing up in sight!
Midlands
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Just returned from a long weekend with the family. The Esplanade has to be the best hotel I have stayed in when considering its position (overlooking Fistral Beach). I never tired of sitting on the comfy chairs in the lounge area - just perfect. The hotel room was a family room with a double bed and a fold out sofa. The room was very roomy though a little dated it served its purpose as somewhere to lay our heads and was extremely clean. What was a nice touch was the bedtime story that was pushed under our door each evening, never seen that before but the kids loved it. The public areas - restaurant, lounge, bar and swimming pool are excellent. The breakfast was a serve yourself, again excellent as you could eat as much as you liked!!!! Would I stay at this hotel again ? - defo if I am down in that area again.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel - pity as the rooms at the front would have had an excellent v...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We look forward to seeing you again soon and would like to thank you for leaving a review after your stay with us
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Esplanade as a family over easter. Location is amazing, you can sit in the lovely lobby or enjoy a nice well cooked breakfast in the resturant with a stunning view of Fistral beach. The decor is modern and the hotel has a nice family atmosphere. Evening enternatinment for kids is good also. The bar/resturant staff are lovely and really helpful.

The problem are the rooms. You can see the management are trying to bring the hotel up to the modern standard. I also realise that hotel rooms are really only to get a night sleep in, and you enjoy your holiday away from them. But the mattresses in our room were the cheapest you can get, so uncormfortable. Me and my family hardly got any sleep in 3 nights. Add to that the carpets are so thin that you hear EVERYTHING from the floor above, the guests of which came in drunk two nights. We came back needing another holiday to get over this one.

Maybe we got a bad room, but I have stayed in alot better, for less money.

Like I said you can see they are trying, but get the simple things right first.

4 Thank BondiBirmingham
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I apologise that you were disappointed with your room. I will ensure that the problem with your mattress is immediately looked into and rectified. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and I hope that you would choose us again in the future
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

3rd stay at the hotel which is a compliment. The location is sensational and parking is not a problem. The breakfasts are excellent and staff very friendly. The only negative is the choice of evening meal and general hygiene / cleanliness of the pool and sauna. In the week we stayed I could see no sign of the sauna and pool having been cleaned.

Room Tip: If you have a family then room 108 has fantastic views of Fistral Beach and there is some privacy be...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We were very pleased to welcome you back again over Easter, I was disappointed that you did not seem to enjoy your evening meals on this occasion and will highlight this to the chef. We have regular cleaning of our pool area and also overnight cleaning but thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and I will investigate into this further, hope to see you again soon
wales
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed at the Esplanade with a coach party, the hotel was clean and the food was very good although as a coach party we were all crammed together in the dining room with no space to move unless you were banging into the next table a small matter but annoying as it is a large dining room. Lovely views from the lounge over the bay but not enough seats for everyone in the evening when there were a lot of children. I think it is more a family hotel as there was a very good programme for children but no entertainment for adults. We enjoyed our stay but please some higher and more comfortable seats in the lounge for us oldies!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the Restaurant Manager, hope to see you again in the future