“relaxed and friendly family hotel”

The Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“relaxed and friendly family hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We just returned from 4 nights at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. We have a toddler with us and the hotel was particularly family friendly and caters well for children. Our little one loved the little extras provided such as a bedtime story posted under the door for her, toys provided in the lounge area, a soft play area and out door pirate ship and even buckets and spades we borrowed for our visits to the beach. We especially loved the sea views from the restaurant and lounge areas. Breakfast was excellent and again catered well for families with children with a varied menu on the buffet as well as offering to make fresh pancakes etc. I thought the food was fresh and hot each morning and of a good standard. We ate at the hotel on our first evening, I had steak which was cooked to perfection, my other half wasn't as impressed with his pulled pork burger which was cold and he felt it was a little expensive even with the 20% discount we were given. I however thought the food was very nice. we also had snacks in the bar, sweet potato chips were delicious as was the pizza for our little girl off the children's menu. The hotel is just a short walk from the beach where there are lots of rock pools to explore, there are some steep steps to it so not good for the less physically able. But the beach is beautiful and you can walk from one end to the other and find more eateries and bars etc. The hotel bar entertainment left a lot to be desired and drinks were quite expensive. we decided to go out of an evening and into Newquay town to find entertainment. The pool is very nice and again good for the kids. Found the staff to be very helpful and friendly however room service very steep with a charge of £8 regardless of what you order so would not recommend using that. Our room was spacious and comfortable, we had a huge queen sized bed and our little one had a double sofa bed all to herself. All in all a very relaxed and enjoyable stay, would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Gemma B, General Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for the lovely review and I am glad that you enjoyed your family holiday with us. It sounds like you took advantage of all the facilities and I am glad you enjoyed the food. We hope to welcome you back to the Esplanade in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed for one night at the Esplanade in an ocean view room priced at £132 for the night.
I cannot complain about the room, it was perfectly clean and tidy, maybe a little small for the price but the view was fantastic.
After a 5 hour drive we didn't want to drive anywhere else, so had our evening meal in the hotel taking advantage of the 20% discount off your meal when staying.
The food was average at best, my main meal came wrong and so my wife ate hers while I waited for mine to arrive which was not too much of a problem as mistakes happen, but when my meal arrived you could tell it had been rushed through the kitchen, undercooked battered fish which I end up leaving most of, I would rather have waited a little longer. My wife agreed hers was nothing special either.
Unfortunately the breakfast was pretty similar, for the price of a room at £132 and an extra £24 for breakfast you would expect the best and it just wasn't worth the price we paid.
I cant see us staying again its just too expensive for the overall standard, don't get me wrong the staff were helpful, the hotel is clean and tidy but at £156 per night, too much.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
I am glad that you liked the hotel and and found the staff helpful. I will be talking to the kitchen in regards to your fish and I am sorry you felt that the food was not to your standard. If you were to visit again please talk to me in regards to your meal.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Expensive for what it was. Shower temperature went from scalding to really cool in seconds randomly. Breakfast was £12 per person...had to ask for drinks, had to ask to order from the menu. The pancakes were served cold, they were also very bland. The breakfast was self service, also cold. It was dried up like it had been out a long time.
Won't be returning, will be sticking to the Lewinnick up the road.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Karen S
Thank you for taking time and leaving feedback about your stay. I am sorry you felt we were expensive this summer. The breakfast your received should have never been cold and I am disappointed that the pancakes were bland. I will be talking to the departments involved. if you were like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me.
Saint Germans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed for one night at the Esplanade in May 2013. The service was fantastic and the hotel was very fresh and modern. There was a lovely atmosphere in the lobby whenever we passed through.
I reserved a parking space (at a cost of £10) because i wasn't sure what the parking was like, however there turned out to be ample parking on the road outside the hotel, as well as in the hotel's moderate car park out the front.

Our room was lovely and clean with comfortable beds, tea/coffee making facilities, a TV, desk and sofa and coffee table (a nice addition as we ended up staying in for the night after an exhausting day). Room service is available however they charge a flat rate of £8 per order, so ordering just a £4 sandwich will actually cost you £12. A bit much if you ask me.

The bathroom was wonderfully large with two sinks, however the shower jet was very weak (environmentally friendly, they say) but it was more annoying than anything. Robes and towels were provided, along with shampoos and soap.

The hotel looks directly onto the famous Fistral beach and there's a very convenient path down to the beach just across the road. There's also a nice cafe on the path where we ended up stopping for breakfast. We didn't use the hotel restaurant but the menu looked lovely and i'm sure the service would've matched what we experienced elsewhere in the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to stay again soon.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Gemma B, General Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for the review and I hope you will return next time for more than a pit stop.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have stayed here as a family 5 times in the last 6 years and can't fault it for value, friendly service, excellent food and fantastic location. On our first 4 trips we stayed as a group in family room no.116 which has a double bed and bunks for our two children. The room boasts a sun lounge with a sofa bed and arm chairs so a great place to relax. It also has a sun terrace as the room is above the kitchen and dining room. For our last trip, 20 to 26 July, we had two sea facing rooms; a double and a twin. Both rooms were well-appointed and the en suite bathrooms modern and functional. Our only gripe was the rather stiff mattress for the double bed.
The indoor pool is a boon for wet days or simply chilling out before dinner. The surf school attached to the hotel is responsibly managed and our children had lessons as well as hiring boards for themselves. Coasteering is another activity run from there and is not to be missed; it is run very safely with wetsuits, footwear, bouyancy aids and helmets provided.

Room Tip: Room 116 is great for families needing space but has no sea view from inside the room. It does have...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for coming back year after year and thank you for leaving this review.
I am sorry you found the mattress a little stiff we have recently replaced them, and we can always sort out a mattress topper to make it softer for you.
We look forward to greeting you again on your 6th visit next year.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

had a amazing two days at the hotel, the reception staff are hands on and very friendly, the food was amazing and all the staff in the restaurant are welcoming and friendly, the kids had some much fun playing in doors and out, they had a bedtime story slipped under our room door each night, the kids loved the activities e.g cocktail making. the pool was fab cant fault it it made the last two days of our trip special I will definetly in the future go back there

2 Thank sargens48
What a fabulous review thank you. We are so happy you enjoyed the kids activities and we appreciate the feedback about the bed time stories, I am glad the children enjoyed them.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Craigavon
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have just returned from my first visit to Newquay having travelled overland from Northern Ireland. We chose this hotel after reading many Trip Advisor reviews but still felt quite apprehensive - until we arrived. We needn’t have worried – it is one of the best family orientated hotels that we have stayed in, catering for all age groups. Our family of seven whose ages ranged from grandparents 65+ to our only grandchild 2yrs+, all thoroughly enjoyed this excellent hotel’s facilities which included a toddler swimming pool, adult pool, indoor soft play area, outdoor ball game courts, outdoor children’s play area etc etc – facilities were endless. On arrival, we were greeted by very pleasant, helpful staff and were quickly allocated three sea-view rooms - beside each other as requested – and oh what a view! The rooms were large, spotlessly clean and with all of the facilities that one would expect in any good hotel. The restaurant served a wide and varied selection of meals to suit all tastes, again served by excellent staff at all times. Breakfast menu was to die for, again with a large selection of fruit, cereals, breads, cooked items etc – now, on return home, requiring a prompt enrolment with Slimming World! When my daughter and her partner decided to stay for another night, despite being height of season, this was quickly arranged with little fuss, by the excellent reception staff. My daughter particularly appreciated the laundry facilities – having to cope with a typical 2yr old! Bar staff were also pleasant and accommodating at all times – even if the alcohol prices were a little high (but in keeping with any hotel). I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely return again - great location to explore Cornwall too. Thank you to all staff.

Room Tip: Yes, it's worth paying a little extra for a sea-view room. Also, pre-book parking it takes the s...
2 Thank GSE1718
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will inform all the staff of your praise and thanks. We would love to welcome your whole family back again soon.