“Amazing views”

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Kuala Lumpur
“Amazing views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

We stayed here recently and found that the hotel was very clean with good sized rooms. I was travelling with my wife and our ten year old son who loved the swimming pool and play area.

We only ate in the hotel a couple of nights but found that the quality was good both evenings. The breakfasts offered a good selection also.

The hotel was well located to explore Cornwall.

We would stay again.

• Stayed November 2008
1 Thank steve3536

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

Just returned from a lovely relaxed week at the Esplanade. Everything about this hotel is geared to the comfort of the guest.
We had stayed here before and liked it but since the refurbishment it is even better. We had balcony rooms facing the sea, a state of the art bathroom/shower (including shower robes). Spotlessly white fluffy towels.Concealed lighting in the bedroom and a king size bed.
The food was good, lots of choice, the dining room staff not only highly efficient, but pleasant with it.
Our cleaning staff were also very efficient and pleasant.
The swimming pool and jacuzzi - brilliant.
What more can I say. Everything was perfect and I returned home feeling very refreshed. Can't wait for my next visit.

• Liked — Space, cleanliness and the swimming pool/Jacuzzi
  • Disliked — leaving it!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Worcester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

I chose to stay at this hotel after cancelling a trip that we had booked to the Great Western Hotel, Newquay, due to bad reviews.
The website was very modern and showed photos of some lovely modern rooms, unfortunately the reality is very different. The reception area, bar and restaurant are ok but the rest of the hotel is very tired and dated. The reception staff are unhelpful and show no desire to help residents. The parking at the hotel is a joke and again the staff couldn't care less!

On the plus side our room was very clean and I would not fault the cleaning staff. The breakfast was lovely on the first morning but after that it went bit down hill.

I think this hotel is very overpriced and I am now not surprised that I was able to get a late booking. I felt really ripped off after staying here as earlier in the year I stayed at Hotel du Vin, Cheltenham (pure indulgence) and it only cost £40 more!!!

DONT WASTE YOURMONEY HERE!!!!

• Liked — Location, Fistral beach is gorgeous at dusk
  • Disliked — Price, Shabbiness, Reception staff, Decor.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank bexywexy1980
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

The view is fantastic and so is the breakfast, but that's as far as it goes! Get down to breakfast early as it goes quickly and is not replenished.... The hotel is shabby and dated and not particularly cheap! The rooms are very basic, with 1970's furniture and a bed which creaks like mad! The bathrooms are ok and have been refurbed. Our window didn't close, there is no sky and the pool was too cold for my son to swim in! We had to pay extra for a parking space and never managed to get one without having to get the staff to move one of their cars first! The reception and bar areas are ok, but the rest of the hotel is very tired and dated. Overall it was ok, but I would't stay there again, or recommend it to anyone I liked!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The date decor
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

We have stayed in this hotel for the past 4 years and are generally very pleased with it, the food is pretty good with a decent choice, the rooms have always been clean and tidy and the location is 2nd to none, however there have been a couple of changes over the past year or so - not for the better !! . Firstly the prices have increased quite considerably, where it was for example £ 700 per week, that was for bed breakfast and evening meal, now that has altered to bed and breeakfast only, with evening meal an extra £ 10 each - an increase of approx 20 per cent. Also, entertainment in the hotel has been reduced, whereas there was entertainment every night, that has been reduced to 2 nights with 2 nights bingo and 1 quiz night - 2 nights of nothing !!. The other small complaint is that you can't order a daily paper - you can borrow one from reception if no one else has it !! - I realise only a small inconveince but just a little annoying. Would I go back to The Esplanade - yes because it is in the most perfect place in England.

• Liked — The location / views
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

I stayed here with my young son for a week at the end of July. We had a fantastic sea view room, traditionally decorated but still very comfortable. The recepion staff were always very friendly and helpful and quick to respond to room service or any of our requests - we had no problems during our stay, it was perfect, but we asked a lot of a questions! The hotel is very family friendly, most of the guests at the time of our stay appeared to be families. Not suprisingly, as there's plenty for the kids to do - a play area, games room, table tennis an indodor swimming pool .... and of course the beach is just outside. It's an ideal location for surfing (you've got to try it!) there's a surf shop by the hotel and a wet room for changing, which was very useful when coming in from the beach.
The food at the hotel was excellent, especially the breakfast buffet which had a good range.
The hotel in general is quite stylish, but in some areas is well worn, for example some stains on the carpet and curtains, scratches on the furniture - but these are only minor things and wouldn't put me off returning.
However, the main drawback is covenience for the the town centre. Depending on your age and fitness, it's a good 20-30 minutes walk into town. Bear this in mind if you're not driving!

• Liked — the sea view, the friendly staff and style of the hotel
  • Disliked — the long, long walk into town
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Haylz77
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

We had 4 rooms for a hen weekend in July and were asked to pay a £500 bond in case of any damage or noise disturbance. This was fair enough as we imagined that they must get alot of noise from same sex groups, however, we are all a bit older and pretty sensible so thought there was not much chance of us losing it.

On our first night we went out straight after dinner then came back to the hotel at 1:30 a.m. We all took our shoes off, tiptoed through the corridors and all went to our own rooms straight to bed. (Sounds boring I know, but we had surf school in the morning!).

After our surfing the next day we returned to the hotel to have the front desk manager (Kim) yell as we walked by that we'd lost £225 of our bond for being noisy and that the guest below us had left one night early due to the so called noise. This was completely ridic as I explained earlier we'd gone straight to bed. After arguing our point she said she'd look into it but her manner was completely unprofessional as she caused a scene in front of all other guests in reception because she was too incompetent to pull us aside and had to shout it across the desk.

Its safe to say that she ruined our day so one of our party went down to speak to her on a one to one basis and they decided to let us 'keep our bond' because of the way it had been handled. Basically they were trying it on, had no evidence and couldn't justify fleecing us. I guess most parties would just accept they'd lost their bond so they have to try it on.

We then went for dinner and were in the middle of our meal when she disturbed us again (in her most professional manner yet) to inform us that we were lucky to keep our bond, yada yada yada.... nice..... thanks again for ruining my meal and pis*ing us all right off before we went out for the evening.

On checking out we did get our whole bond back and once home decided to write to the hotel manager complaining that we were victimised from the moment we walked in because we were a hen party. His reply: I would suggest that you stay elsewhere in
future. (Believe me mate, I have no intention of EVER coming back).

To conclude, the rest of the staff were great, the food was grim and the rooms were just about ok. Kim was an unprofessional manager whom I'm glad I don't work for with a HUGE chip on her shoulder.

If you're planning a stag or hen weekend I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Liked — Being on the seafront
  • Disliked — The front of house manager
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends