“Worst Hotel experience ever...Like staying at a holiday camp, with worse beds!”

The Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We arrived early and staff were happy to check us in, that was helpful and we nabbed a parking space as otherwise you have to pay £10 to park, that was lucky. We were quite surprised about the decor in the rooms after walking through dark hot dank hallways, what we didn't understand is why go to the trouble of refurbing the rooms, bar and entrance when the rest of the hotel is falling apart and in desperate need of TLC, even the pool. We did have an amazing view from our room but the windows were so dirty you had to open them to see out!

The staff were friendly and attentive which was very inviting and we enjoyed a drink in the bar. Later on returning from a lovely evening out in town we were greeted by a disco arranged for a party of guests, right below our room, we were on the first floor, it would have been good to have been pre-warned before we booked. When we called reception they said it finished at 1am, this news put a cloud over any romance and we asked to move, they only had a family room available which we took but it wasn't the same.

At 3am the party concluded, with the guests continuing their party in a neighbouring family room, which was very frustrating. I think we actually counted every single spring in the bed, they desperately need changing. With little sleep we woke at 8am and went to breakfast, we had great hopes for a new day put all the bad points behind us..BUT it was probably the worst breakfast ever, processed food that wasn't fresh.. To be fair I think they borrowed their stars from the hotel next door..never again....Beautiful Newquay great weather...It could be so good...shame

KJules

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,448)

Reviewed 11 April 2010

I loved this hotel - mainly for the view - its unbeatable we had a samll sea-view family room on the first floor. the only issue we had with our room was throom next door - the walls are thin and they were really noisy coming in really late and waking the kids slamming the doors. The pool was ok. We had paid in advance for the meal which was good but not amazing I wouldn't have been happy if I had paid the full price for it - the cream tea in the bar was yummy!

The breakfast was great although we were sat eally far away from the breakfast foods and we didn't get a window seat - we had paid for a more expensive room and I kinda hoped for a good seat in the restaurant.

Staff were friendly enough. Parking was ok, hotel is lovely and clean.
We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2010

From my first point of contact by telephone, I felt welcome. All queries (such as how to operate the TV) were responded to quickly and patiently. The dining room and lounge overlook the beach and I was thrilled to sit at breakfast watching the wild seas crashing on the rocks. Lovely cliff walks around, as well as the beach. As I was not dining in, I had a good meal at a pub overlooking Newquay Harbour. (15 min. walk). Lots of leaflets on local interests available around the hotel. My room did not have a view, but who needs it when you have such beautiful views from the diner and lounge? I think parking overnight could be a problem in High Season, but it was OK when I was there. It was luxury to me to have use of the swimming pool and jacuzzi, although I think they could easily get crowded. At the bargain price, my three nights were an experience not to be forgotten! I did not use Room Service.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2010

We stayed with our church group and was one of approx 260 people. What a fantastic location. Fistral beach is so amazing and the hotel looks over from the south of this beach. What made it amazing were the staff. Never have we experienced such hospitality. My son is subject to a gluten free diet but the choice was amazing, he had bread all the time, special pasta, puddings and every day the restaurant manager came to us in the morning to ask us about the menu and if we wanted something else etc, for a small boy to know he has the choice and did not feel strange was amazing, never have we been somewhere we did not have to dip into our own food supply, def an added bonus,. Dining room staff were the best we have ever met, they were good last year but are definately improving, thank you so much, truly really fantastic people, what a team, thank you and look forward to coming back. God Bless.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Had a brilliant stay at the Esplanade located on fistral beach, newquay, amazing views over the cliffs and just a perfect location to visit cornwall from. the staff were so friendly and went out of their way to be helpful and even though check out was 10am and we were part of a large group of 250people they still allowed us a late check out of whenever was suitable for us. facilities brilliant - soft play for the kids and a swimming pool with also a baby pool, jacuzzi, sauna. pool table and playstation for older 'kids'!
all round a great success and we will definitely be booking up for another weekend, just as a family.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We stayed here at the weekend for a friend's wedding. I found the the staff to be very professional and helpful. We booked a double sea view room which we found to be very comfortable with lovely views of the beach. The staff helped the wedding reception to run very smoothly and all the food was great. My only criticism, which didn't bother us but might be worth noting is that we didn't have a bath in our room, but the shower more than made up for this. Also the parking was quite limited, but we did stay at the weekend and when there were lots of guests at the hotel so this was understandable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

we stayed 5 nights, we took advantage of the evening meal offer of £10pppn the food was excelent and it also included a special valentines night meal. we have stayed at 9 newquay hotels and found this to be the best all round value for money. we had a sea view room and we recomend it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple