“Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired”

Best Western Porth Veor Manor Hotel
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We enquired at this hotel as a consideration for a possible wedding venue. I sent an initial e-mail and the response was informative and invited my fiancee and I to make an appointment to view the hotel.

We arranged and made a special trip down from the cotswolds to Porth. We were shown around by the restaurant manager, Gary, who was really friendly and helpful and took the trouble to show us lots of rooms.

We left feeling happy and excited as we had agreed with Gary he would get back to us within 4 days. 10 days passed and we didn't even get an acknowledgment e-mail, phone call or anything. On that basis alone we felt we couldn't trust the management to run our wedding day seamlessly so booked somewhere else.

I mailed the hotel out of courtesy to advise them not to waste their time preparing a quotation as we had now lost interest. We got a stroppy e-mail back from the hotel manager, Andy Griffiths, in short advising that they didn't want to hold our wedding anyway as they didn't think they would make enough money!

What they hadn't bothered to learn is that we were looking to book an all expenses paid holiday for 4 nights for our friends and family consisting of 80 people which would have put the hotel at full capacity day and night in hotel and restaurant.

Summary...the hotel is average in decor but it is VERY clean and is well looked after. The rooms are very large but the service was really dreadful and most unprofessional. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Natdoo
acgriffiths, Manager at Best Western Porth Veor Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

This person has written a review because she was not happy we were unable to take her wedding here. I looked at the cost implications of running a wedding in May 2012 and on doing a price comparison. It was decided it was more cost effective to run the Hotel as normal, as it is a very busy month for us. I replied to this person to let her know and don't believe I was rude. I feel it would of been more rude of me not to reply. Please see my letter of reply.

Dear Natalie,
Thank you for your e-mail. I am really sorry in the delay however Gary needed to talk to me as he was not sure what to quote you as you had asked for something a bit different from the normal menus we run for weddings. In hindsight Gary should of telephoned you to let you know why there was a delay in replying, but he has also been really busy running our Autumn Weddings which have taken priority.
After discussion earlier today we had decided we did not want to take this wedding in May 2012 as it was more cost effective for us to run the Hotel without a wedding. As our Hotel does not have a separate function room all wedding take place in the main restaurant and at this time of year we are busy as a Hotel.
We looked at your initial enquiry as you had requested a week day. Usually we turn all weddings away in May. I am glad you have found another venue however I can assure you we did not forget about your wedding enquiry and Gary was going to e-mail you later this week with our decision.
I wish you well in the future

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We booked a five night stay at this Hotel in Porth which is a short distance from Newquay but far away enough to have some peace and quiet. Unfortunately we only managed to stay 2 nights because my back took a turn for the worse and I was in a lot of pain so we had to go home. We were very disappointed at having to leave early as this Hotel is lovely plus we lost money not being able to stay the full 5 nights. We were given room 25 which is a lovely big airy room overlooking the pool which is lit up at night and looks beautiful. The breakfast was cooked to perfection and we had lots of choice. Everywhere you go in the Hotel is spotless and the staff are very nice and helpful. We really hope to go back again when I am fit and healthy and we would recommend it to anyone.

The only disappointing factors were the TV could have been larger as it was very small in such a large room, but everything else was great.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HollyEngland
Reviewed 29 September 2011

During a recent visit back to the UK we took a short break in Cornwall with some friends. They had stayed at Porth Veor Manor before and knew what to expect but we were blown away.

The main hotel is a very grand old building with a large sun lounge attached to the side (this forms part of the restaurant). We were given a very warm welcome and shown to our two bedroomed apartment. Split over two floors with the bedroom upstairs at entry level the standard of accomodation was both impressive and very clean. Downstairs featured a large lounge/dining and kitchen area opening out to the swimming pool. The kitchen, like the rest of the apartment, was well equipped and very modern.

We dined in at the hotel restaurant on our first night, the meal was excellent and the service first class. On our second night we went just along the coast to Jamie Oliver's 15 Cornwall for another top notch meal.

Porth Veor is beautifully placed just north of Newquay. For our short beak this exceeded all my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank GerryPrewett1953
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at Porth Veor Hotel. It is excellent value for money - the rooms are lovely, good views even if you do not pay extra for a sea view. The entire hotel is very clean. The staff are wonderful - all very helpful and cheerful. If you book an inclusive half board deal you will not be disappointed - the evening meals are absolutely fabulous as are the breakfasts. The hotel is 2 minutes along a private path to a lovely beach and there are great local walks and lots of places nearby to visit. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Captainmoosehead
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We booked No9 the Beach House self catering apartment which is serviced via the Porth Veor Manor Hotel via breaks in Cornwall & werent disappointed. The location of this apartment is right on the beach with private parking and just 2 minutes walk from the actual hotel should you want to use the facilities. The apartment itself was ultra modern, high quality throughout and a few thoughtful extras for a self catering place like dishwasher tablets!

Really cant fault this place.

Newquay is one mile away with plenty of food shops although Newquay itself is quite rundown. Padstow is 20 minutes in the opposite direction.

We paid £300 for this apartment for 4 nights and its well worth it. We thought about coming back for a week in the summer but at £1300 a week I think you could find better.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twinklation1980
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Stayed 4 nights with two young boys. Rented the Porth Cottage adjoining Porth Veor Manor Hotel. It was a very old building that was incredibly well kept and refurbished. The size was perfect for a family of four and included two rooms, two bathrooms, a living room, kitchen and dining room - along with a nice small yard with picnic table. The place was clean, charming, well kept and well equipped. It had a washer and dryer, complete kitchen including a dishwasher and microwave. We had great privacy even though the street was right behind the rock wall in the yard = we sometimes heard buses going down the street at night. The very nice and family friendly beach was a 5-minute walk away. We had access to all the hotel's amenities, including the very nice and warm pool. The staff was friendly but we never saw them, being a bit secluded in our little cottage. A great stay !

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pascpat4
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I booked this hotel through a late booking website for my partners birthday as a surprise. We were very impressed when we arrived at the look of the place and the helpful friendly staff. The room was spotless and had a nice view overlooking the pool.
We decided to eat in the restaurant that evening and were blown away by the food - even my partner who is a royal navy chef said it was the best steak he had ever tasted!!
All the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful from the reception staff, the waitress's/waitors and cleaners. After dinner we walked down the path from the hotel grounds to the beach at porth which only took a few minutes so handy for getting to the beach. My partner actually proposed to me on the beach and when we got back the staff had put champagne on ice in our room whcih was another lovely touch they were happy to help with.
Breakfast was fab and loads of choice - even offering gluten free sausages which for someone like me who is gluten intollerent is great.
My only negatives were the matteress was too soft and bouncy for me (bad back so need a firm matteress) but my partner slept like a log!
Also no good for anyone in a wheelchair/walking frame to access the bedrooms

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple