Best Western Porth Veor Manor Hotel
Pendeen Hotel(Newquay)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa(Newquay)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsporth beachheated poolno liftsea viewlovely hoteljamie oliver's restaurantthe main hotelflights of stairscornish breakfastcooked breakfastmini breaklusty glazeshort breakenjoyable staynight breakroom was spotlessdouble room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My husband and I have just spent three nights at this hotel on a bed and breakfast basis. We have been exceedingly pleased with everything about the stay. Cleanliness is spotless, the staff are polite and helpful without being overbearing and the breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice
We had bought this as a two day deal off KGB however decided to arrive a day earlier and when we called the hotel to see if the room would be available we were given the same rate for the third night, as we had paid through KGB We would highly recommend this hotel. Although we did not see inside them the apartments also looked very nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed here with mum and brother's family. So had three generations including a toddler. We stayed in villa 10 which had 2 bedrooms with an ensuite and a common shower room with an outer patio from one of the bedrooms. The first floor had the very well laid out kitchen and lounge with a balcony looking out into the bay area( view is fair and you can see the water in high tide ). The place was well set up with all the needed utensils, cutlery, glasses and plates. We did have access to the hotel which we didn't really use. It's a 2 minute walk to the beach which is great all days especially for the sunset. The staff were kind enough to provide us with a high chair and toddler cot. The parking for the car is reserved just outside the house. the heater wasn't working and we realised it only at midnight when we needed hot water so ended up calling reception multiple times till someone finally answered the phone but he was very helpful and sorted it out promptly( so make sure everything is working when you check in )
I did book through laterooms for the property at Watergate bay but it was already booked. The villa was offered as a free upgrade so thanks for that. Though after I saw watergate bay I realised that it is a much better beach. Didn't get to eat in the restaurant but heard good things about it.
Definitely recommended place for your stay in Cornwall as its ideally located for the main attractions in Cornwall. Good communication from the staff when needed as I had some queries before the arrival.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PavRao
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Once we had got over the decor (floor tiles on the wall ! ) we had a very comfortable stay in a
big family room with XXL bed, nice white bed linen and excellent bathroom. Spotlessly clean always miner
Staff were always helpful and friendly and breakfasts with good choices. We didn't try the restaurant as we were out and about too much.

Room Tip: Beware that you need a night key if coming in later than 11pm
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Julia M
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. The tiles on the wall are only up the wall by 3ft to a wooden dado rail. Then above this the rest of the walls are painted with Egyptian Cotton. This has prevented scuff marks on the wall made by suitcases and therefore reduced our costs in the long run. I haven't had to do anything to them over the last few years. Maybe it is a tad unusual but it does the job well. Thank you for comments on the cleanliness and the staff I will be sure to pass this on to my team

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed for a week in June 2012.
This is a hotel in Porth, a suburb of Newquay. Porth has not suffered from the "laddification" of Newquay but there is little there apart from the beach so transport is desireable. The hotel stands to one side of the beach area and consists of the main hotel, self-catering apartments, a cottage and a "beach house". I cant comment on the actual hotel rooms.
The Beach House is a block of about 9 apartments standing right at the head of the beach. We had apartment 9 which looks straight down the beach, wonderful view. The block is modern and attractive with a lift. Parking is reserved in front of the building. There were a large double and large twin bedooms with one en-suite and one other bathroom, both v well appointed and clean and a large sitting/dining room with kitchen inc fridge freezer, dishwasher and washer/dryer - all new, all spotless. We also visted a friend in one of the other units, which was also v comfortable and roomy and also had a all the equipment one could want.
The beach house was generally v quiet although the bin lorry did turn up at 0530 one day. Not good.
There was a mix up with my paper one day so we weren't charged - fair enough.
The restaurant was dissapointing. We had two dinners and one breakfast. The room and staff were fine but the food was very tasteless, I had a smoked salmon which had no flavour at all and I wasn't alone in finding this. The second dinner was little better. The breakfast staff were fankly overwhelmed by numbers as there had been a wedding the night before and they were also running out of food, cooked breakfast was a sausage, a rasher, a small dollop of scrambled egg and half a mushroom. As this was several pounds more than the continental option we all agreed it was poor value.
I would definetly recommend the self-catering facilities - they are excellent but the menu needs a rethink.

Room Tip: Go self-catering
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ljrNLincs
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your comments. Beach House 9 is superb with a fantastic sea view from the lounge and double bedroom and is very popular. I was sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal experience in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. With regard to the Salmon dish I have passed on your comments to our chef who will look into this. It is unusual for us to get a comment of this nature about our food for this I can only apologize. With regard to breakfast we did have a large wedding group in on Sunday morning, the chef did run our of mushrooms, which I have spoken to him about. If a guest wants 2 sausages and 3 rashers of bacon all they are required to do is ask for it from one of the team and they will not say no I can assure you. On our full Breakfast for £7-50 per person for guests staying in our self catering apartments, You get the following tea or coffee, a selection of fruit, nuts and cereal from our extensive buffet as much toast and preserves as you want. Then you can order a full Cornish Breakfast with Fried Egg, Bacon, Sausage, mushroom, Tomato, Beans. Hoggs Pudding and Black pudding or several alternatives like smoked haddock with poached egg. I would call that great value for money.

When you do come back again please give us another try as I am positive you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The Hotel with its Beaucliffe Restaurant is very good located , close to one of Newquays best Beaches in Porth.
There is also self catering Accomodation (flats) available. Can't comment on Accomodation
quality, but the premises are looking spotless, modern and inviting.
Todays main comments are about the Restaurant. Main part of the Restaurant is build around
the viewing /lookout parts of the Hotel, based in a huge Conservatory. That's the reason it is very bright. From every table you can enjoy a view over porth valley and /or the beach with the sea. The service is speedy, very articulated and you get any information to the meals, you
could possibly ask for. The meal choices are broad, but pre selected and good. By reading the menue, you can get really exited about the food to come. Pre served drinks were classy, as
the seating ennvironment . A selection of fresh, warm bread was served in the beginning.
What followed after this, was an extraordinay selection of food, which was not only looking
very appetising - it tasted fab. There was no need for an dessert, but we chose to have one, just to see, how it turned out. Same result - striking in looks and taste.
I believe everything is down to the quality of delivered food and the skill of the chef, who made
such a positive experience possible. The waitresses rounded everything up with an exellent service.
Thank you - for a fabulous meal to remember.

Room Tip: The premises are belonging to the Travelsmith Group. In my opinion this is not the cheapest accomodation, but I believe one of the good ones in Newquay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karl8853
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your fantastic comments I couldn't of put it better myself. I think this reviewer shows we do get it absolutely correct on occasions and that is thanks to the hard work from the team here at Porth Veor Manor. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.