“Very friendly staff”

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Very friendly staff”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We used the hotel as a base for 5 days golf at various local clubs and it worked extremely well as a central base. The hotel as a whole was very good, well appointed with clean bright reception, lounge, bar and dining facilities due to the extensive conservatories that have been added and wrap around the property. The staff very friendly and keen to please. Restaurant was worth the visit. Definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in March as we were attending a function in Newquay. First impressions were excellent - the hotel is immaculately clean and very well appointed. The check in was good and efficient and the room (standard double) was lovely - very clean, well equipped and a good size. Breakfast was delicious - with lots of choice and we did have dinner one evening in the restaurant which was also lovely - service was excellent -Ernest is a credit to the place! Jamie - the Hotel Manager was extremely helpful and courteous too. All in all we loved our stay and wished we could have stayed longer.. would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone. As well as the hotel, there are self catering villas in the grounds which also looked fabulous!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Surrey
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Had a 4 night stay 11-15th March, quite a late decision, we saw it in the travel smith brochure but wanted to check a few things so phoned hotel to check on rooms, (standard or Superior) decided on Superior, so booked it with hotel, it was brilliant, great views, lovely bed, everywhere in the room was very clean (I am a very fussy person and always look around the edges of floors etc.). The tea and coffee etc., were always re-stocked everyday and nothing was to much trouble, all the staff were lovely and friendly, also it is a very good price for the standard of hotel.
Wewill definitely be back either May or September, we were shown around the villas which are also of a very high standard and we will consider staying in one but using hotel facilities. I have already recommended to our friends who are looking for somewhere later in year.
As per another persons comments - Yes the top floor does have a very steep staircase, but we were asked if we needed any help at time of checking in - the steep climb was well worth the views from our room and if staying in hotel we would request that room again. The breakfast is absolutely lovely, We have no complaints at all, my iphone and laptop were a bit flaky, but that was in most of Cornwall and after all we were on holiday!!!.
Well done all at Porth Veor.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

booked a 2 night break as a last minute deal at a excellent price through secertescapes.com, travelled down with my partner, we arrived a little early but was happy to accommodate us and during our stay the staff was friendly and helpful, walking distance from the town centre for the young (15-20 mins) overall , site - amazing, service - brilliant, food - great, would happily stay there again! the only slightly bad thing was a early check out time of around 10!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner came for a short break from our busy work life. I can honestly say that the 9 hour drive (leaving at 5am!) was 100% worth it. When we was on our way to the hotel we looked at the confirmation to see that the checking was for after 3pm, a slight detail we had missed out (our fault). We arrived at 1pm and was greeted by the General Manager who told me I could check in now, to our relief as we was both so tired! They offered help with our suitcases and gave us welcome packs with bits of info we might want to know (nice touch!).
The room was nice and spacious with everything that we would need for the room, extra blankets were found in the cupboard, double curtains to keep the light out, alarm clock and plenty of towels. I was so impressed and managed to easily settle into my room taking a nice long nap in the comfy bed. Now I am fussy when t comes to pillows, I'm usually taking my special memory pillows with me everywhere but I didn't need them as there was 2 pillows too each side that were perfect for my needs.
The breakfast service was brilliant as well. The waiter was very well dressed and extremely polite. Greeted us and offered us tea and coffee which was nice before we had even sat down. They asked to detail how we would like our breakfast and I felt like he had gone the extra mile for us. The views over breakfast are breath taking and I couldn't make it any more better if I tried. Overall the first morning there was spectacular for us.
Being a young couple, we felt a little out of place at first because everyone was elderly, but the staff made us very welcome and made plenty of small talk to keep us smiling.
We managed to borrow monopoly off the hotel as well which kept us entertained as well. When I went to ask for the game, the staff again was extremely helpful wit getting the game for me and told us to hold on too it for as long as we want.

I can't explain how pleased I am with the service here, when leaving the owner even came out of his meeting to say goodbye and offer help again with my suitcase. I'm so pleased and happy and can NOT wait to return. Well done to the hotel. See you in the summer!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Booked a 3 night break with a sea-view room through Secret Escapes for my birthday and was not disappointed. The hotel is very well maintained and modern with excellent views from the dining room and bar areas. All the staff were very friendly and the service was good, although we did have to fetch someone from reception to man the bar during the day (but it was off-season and the hotel was very quiet, so was probably to be expected). Our room was very clean and comfortable with a modern bathroom and a great view. Overall a very enjoyable experience and should be rated a 4 star in our opinion. We will probably be going back for another break, hopefully when its a bit warmer.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a sea view room
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in February with a group of friends, booked an Ocean Villa through Hoseasons at a bargain price.

It was fantastic, very clean, bathrooms were modern and kitchen equipped with everything we needed. Close to Newquay town and we chose to take taxis in the evenings so we could have a couple drinks.

First night we arrived we had a problem with our boiler which meant the heating was not working, however even though it was 11pm we popped over the hotel and someone came straight away to reset the boiler for us. Great service but we did think that if the boiler cupboard had not been locked we could have done that ourselves to save the staff the time.

We will be back as great location and lovely villa.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends