“Great stay but little or no sleep.”

Best Western Porth Veor Manor Hotel
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Great stay but little or no sleep.”
Reviewed 15 August 2010

What a lovely hotel, perfectly situated just a stones throw from the beach and just far enough away from busy Newquay. The hotel was clean and well maintained, the staff could'nt have been more helpful and the food was good... what more could you want...well... a decent nights sleep would have been nice, that bed, what can i say, it was without doubt the most uncomfortable thing i've ever tried sleeping on. To say it was hard would be the understatement of the year, like laying on a slab of concrete. Although we enjoyed our four day stay i don't think i could have spent another night in that bed which is a shame because if it were'nt for that we would without doubt have revisited the porth veor manor hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karensmith1967
acgriffiths, General Manager at Best Western Porth Veor Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
I am very surprised at this review as the bed this guests slept it had a new mattress the week prior to their arrival it is an 800 pocket sprung luxary mattress. We had received several complaints earlier in the year regarding mattresses in some of the rooms and with my Head Housekeeper we identified the rooms with the problem. We then spent a few thousand pounds on new mattresses for several of our rooms.

I would like to thank this guests however for their kind comments relating to other aspects of the hotel. We are perfectly situated in the quite resort of Porth just 2 miles outside Newquay with a lovely garden area where you can use the putting green or croquet or just relax with a delicious cream tea. We have a private access path which takes you down to Porth Beach within 5 minutes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
U.S.A. / ENGLAND.
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Large clean rooms. Five mins walk to beach. Fine dining room overlooking Porth beach. Good service. 'Garden' packages very good value. As the car park is on a slope and the hotel has no lift it would not be good for the less able.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
northants
Reviewed 30 July 2010

After a long journey down to cornwall we were all looking forward to our 3 night break.Crashed back down to earth when greeted by Mr Charisma lets say ! no charm and no welcome.
Apartments clean and well furnished but felt as if we were in a goldfish bowl everyone peering in,could do with some net curtains or blinds for bit of privacy.
Thought as our first night we would have dinner in the hotel restaurant (big mistake).Had booking for 8-30 so thought we would have a drink in the bar,but noone there to serve,barman waiting on tables.Asked if we could bring forward booking which was fine.The menu then arrived,well as both my husband and i are chefs running our own food business we looked and laughed! Lamb chops as a starter,vanilla mash !!whats that about,pineapple salsas god it goes on !were in a timewarp back to the 70 s we thought.Our 12year old found this challenging to say the least,so we asked if he could have something from kids menu ,answer from Mrs Charisma was no as children NOT allowed in the restaurant,clearly not the case as there were 2 or three of them crawling on the floor .
Fish and chips were delivered,could understand if they were rushed off their feet,but there was 10 people in the restaurant.
My elder son ordered pasta with olives and blobs of cheese on it looked like something my cat had coughed up week before! Hub and me steak with some dried meatball stuff on it and a side plate of A-z veg we think on it that once been cooked,then microwaved to within an inch of their lives, mush,tasteless,no seasoning, not that it would have made any difference revolting. Mrs Charisma asked if enjoyed explained no nicely,response was do we want a desert !! as if !!
Thought cook our own breakfast following morning ,well tried, fire alarm goes off if you so much as open a tin of beans! Mr Charisma came to turn it off and gave us a code if it happened again we asked does it usually he said no not often,he left then as if by magic other apartments were dgoing off in unison,think its a ploy to get you to try their Award Wining Breakfast dont do it !!!!

Anyway not cheap chef needs to learn to cook some staff need training ,all in all would not come back here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Firstly I must apologise to these guest as the first part of the e-mail is true we did have a chap working for us, who lets say lacked a bit of charisma. However the other 95% of the staff are very welcoming and a here to make sure all guests needs are met and exceeded where possible. Unfortunately I haven't be able to identify Mrs Charisa in the restaurant as we only have two waitresses on the team and the general feedback from guests is always very positive about both.

The Villas are designed so 8 surround the beautiful heated swimming pool open April to October every year. Net curtains would not fit into the design and many of our guests like the option of sitting in their lounge and looking out over the pool. We have identified two villas which need blinds as well as the curtains and these are being fitted later in the year.

As chefs these guests should feel ashamed of using the title "Ramseys Kitchen Nighmares" as I find this completely untrue. Do these people understand writing a review like this can be very damaging to a business. If Ramsey was invited here he would not find a problem with the style of cooking. In fact we had the AA inspector here for a food tasting to taste all our dishes the week these guests stayed. He talked frankly and told us where we were going wrong and where we were moving in the right direction. From our a la carte menu all the dishes met with his approval. He didn't mention we couldn't have small lamb cutlets as a starter, pineapple salsa on the steak or vanilla mash. The vanilla mash compliments the dish it was with as I tasted it myself with the inspector. The dried meatball stuff as they so eloquently put it was oxtail which tasted exceptional with the filet steak. We don't microwave the veg they are steamed freshly to order in our steamer, seasoned and buttered.

We run a childrens menu in the restaurant from 6-15pm until 7pm. After 7pm any children wishing to dine must be smartly dressed and well behaved and would usually have to order off our a la carte menu. However my team have taken this booking and allowed the guests to order off the childrens menu. Not sure what this guests expected from a kids pasta with melted cheese, its not one of our specialities!

One thing really bothers me about this review, is if they didn't enjoy it at the time, why didn't they ask to speak to me. I couldn't of sorted out all the issues there and then. Instead of spreading the malicious contents of this review all over the web. Thank you
Lancaster
Reviewed 9 July 2010

What a pleasure it is to be able to write all goods things about a hotel. The hotel was spotless and has a relaxed atmosphere. The position is great and the food good. We particularly liked the service in the restaurant. They were superb - efficient, friendly and very professional. A lot of other hotels/restaurants should send their staff here to see how it should be done.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We were made very welcome and shown to a very clean and comfortable room. The bed was comfy ,pillows too. Breakfast was to a high standard locally sourced produce freshly cooked and well presented.The evening meal was excellent.Again seasonal and well presented and cooked,served by cheerful staff in a lovely setting.We hope to return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reading
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Stayed in the apartments in June 2010. We rented two 2 bed apartments, one poolside, one opening onto the car park. The apartments were virtually identical inside.

The apartments were clean, spacious and well furnished, with good quality furnishings. Both the shower room (huge) and bathroom were great, though do not run the bath when somebody is in the shower as shower turns very cold :)

We dined in the restaurant one night, food was good, though I prefer larger starters personally, not too keen on the nouvelle cuisine. Dinner took well over 2 hours, so young kids need to be patient.

If you want to eat outside, you can walk along the beach to the 'Mermaid' for Pub Fayre., this is about 10 minutes walk. We went to the Chinese restaurant for a take away (2 minutes drive away), this is up the hill to the double roundabout, take road to Newquay, go about 100 metres and is on the right. Food quality was excellent.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the apartments, as did my kids (mainly due to the pool, which was nice and warm) as well as older family members. Would recommend to anybody.

The only thing that suprised me was although the website says free wireless internet, it is ony free for one hour per day, so is not strictly correct. Now if there are 3 or 4 of you checking e-mails, surfing the web, then obviously you do need more than one hour. For the price paid, you would expect this to be included.

Overall though, we had a great break and would certainly return if in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
yorkshire
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Ok, firstly let me say that this hotel is 5 star when it comes to quality and service. Really people it is (so big thumbs up!)
The Staff are very professional, the quality of service in the restaurant is superb, the food is just fantastic (breki and dinner), the quality of the decor and cleanliness throughout the hotel is excellent and the location is perfect (close to shops and beaches).
So whats the problem I here you asking!............ok here is where the word 'however' in my opening title comes into play. THE ROOMS. The room was very clean, lovely little bathroom, great view over the pool but the beds.....OoooouuUCH! me and my girlfriend could feel and hear every spring in the bed which was a very very poor quality bed and rock hard! there is something else.....The walls! my girlfried said she was going to crack me in the middle of the night because I was snoring.....it wasn't me it was the guy next door!...THE WALLS ARE SO THIN!!!!!!!!!! im not joking you can hear everything thats going on upstairs, downstairs and in mi ladies chamber. TV's, conversations etc.
So thats the downside......apart from the fact the walls are paper thin and the beds rock hard and springy this hotel is FANTASTIC!!

ok Management team....you will probably be reading this at some point and I dont want you to be gutted or mad about these comments because we really really did enjoy our stay and apart from the negatives mentioned above I would rate this hotel 5 star. To be honnest the thin walls (you can put up with) but customers need to have a comfy relaxing nights sleep and wake up to that gorgeous breakfast refreshed the next morning......SO PLEASE PLEASE address the bed situation, a couple of quality pillows wouldnt go a miss either. Cheers guys! oh p.s we will be making another visit to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
acgriffiths, Manager at Best Western Porth Veor Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2010
I would like to thank this reviewer for their kind comments. I have some wonderful staff who are here to make every guests stay as enjoyable as possible. We try to meet and exceed all guests’ expectations on a regular basis.

We do have 2 rooms on the top floor which I feel are the ones causing the problem. We had a problem last year with the thin walls on two other rooms and this was rectified when we spent thousands of pounds refurbishing them in January.

Like all companies we have a budget for refurbishment, we will be spending money this winter on solving the thin wall problem of the 2 rooms on the top floor.
All of the mattresses in the Hotel are no more than 4 years old, however I believe some which were brought were hard and not everyone likes them. I have asked my housekeeper to identify the rooms which need new mattresses and we will be purchasing them by the end of next week.

I try to speak to as many guests as possible and I have spoken to guests that have stayed in rooms that have had a previous guest complaint about the mattresses and the feedback has been both positive and negative. Some stating they like the hard beds other stating they would prefer a soft bed. In an ideal world we would provide both.

Hopefully when this guest returns we will have solved the issues raised. They can then relax and enjoy the 5 star service in this country house hotel on the coast.