“Holiday at the Calfornia”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The Mill Race Activity Club based in Calne, Wiltshire and 34 of us enjoyed a holiday at the California. We are a Club for vulnerable adults so patience and understanding from staff is always vital to us. No Complaints at all,. All staff were extremely kind and thoughtful and hospitable to all of us. Restaurant staff accommmodated all our needs and the food was excellent and very well presented. All our members very much enjoyed the California bowl and again the Manager met all our needs and was very patient. Thank you to all staff throughout the Hotel for making our holiday a success.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jack i

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Now must start with a positive: - the staff are one and all very pleasant, helpful, cheerful and hard working. Not one sensible request would be too much. They made our weekend stay a stay of good memories -- it was an extended family wedding weekend, so many a refreshment need requested.
None of us on any floor suffered total discomfort in the rooms which were adequately provisioned.
BUT
Peel back the gloss (lift the table cloth) and you'll find the aged decor, battered furniture, worn carpets, thin walls, of the general hotel stuck in the last century. Hot water on one floor at a time was cause of great myrth on the first morning, with many of us commenting on the creeking water system filling during the night. One feature screamed out that the place needs maintenance was the patio and it's planted tubs/pots none had been weeded for a year!!

I would recomend this hotel for 18-30 stay, or families with 5-11yr olds (lots of stairs).

Management please take time out for recon!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We had a lovely time at the hotel california, we stayed for 2 days over the weekend for a friends wedding, the hotel was great very family friendly, the staff were lovely, the rooms were very light, with a very nice balcony overlooking the sea, we also found we had esy access to the beach from the hotel which was great for my daughter.

We will definatly be revisiting.

Room Tip: a balcony room is very nice
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I stayed for a week at the Hotel California, and enjoyed it very very much, the staff are so helpful, and make you feel so welcome, I had the most wonderful view over the Gannel,from my bedroom, which was very clean and tidy and a very comfortable bed,and watched all the different species of big and small birds, flying around. The breakfast was wonderful, plus Matt was always joking with many of the patrons, and laughter could be heard all around. The evening meal was what I would call a 5 star meal, so nicely presented. The Hotel to me seemed so homely, I am hoping to go back there again, this was my first visit to Cornwall, and a very enjoyable and memorable one.

Room Tip: I found it to be a very good hotel, and great value, with excellent service for the amount I paid.Wo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mjt1948
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We booked this hotel about 3 months before the date of our stay, 21st April 2012 to attend a family wedding being held at the hotel.

We were left to find our room on our own, which was a difficult job as the only access was by going through the dining area and using a small door which led to our room, this was not an appropriate way to have to access a room whilst people were dining..

On entering the room we were initially dissapointed, the carpet was covered in debris and had not been hoovered, the bathroom tiles were dull and covered in splash marks, the windows were dirty and the room looked out onto a blank wall. In fact you could see a join line running down the walls and across the ceiling whre I assume that two cupboards had been knocked into a room.

I went to reception and complained about the room and was told the hotel was full and that was all that was available, I pointed out that it was also dirty, I then returned to my room to get ready for the wedding.

Once I had got ready I returned to reception again, but this time with a sample of the thick dust which I had wiped from the bed headboard, I aired my disgust but did not cause a scene as I did not want to spoil the wedding, I also told the receptionist that the manager should review the price of the room down from the initial £86.00 as it was disgusting. I was then offered another room, but it was pointed out that they do not let this room as it is directly above the disco and very noisy, I declined the change expecting the room to be cleaned whilst I was at the wedding, I was also then offered a £10.00 reduction which I told them was inadequate.

On returning to the room after the wedding it had not been touched, it was as dirty as ever, we left our written comments and left the next morning after a passable breakfast.

The whole hotel is a little dowdy, and the outside areas are in a state of disrepair, this hotel is surely due for redevelopment.

I would only rate this hotel as 1 star, but then a dirty one star.

Whilst we were there, there were coach parties also using the premises, I can only assume that these were given the acceptable rooms and being as my booking would only ever be a one off, I was given this dirty sub standard room.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jeff G
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I took my wife for a romantic weekend,we had a lovely time.
The hotel was very clean,we had good food and lots of fun.
DEFINETLY RECOMMEND.
Location out of this world.

Room Tip: The ones with a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I staying in this hotel with a friend on 28th April using a group on voucher. We check in and first room we were given smelt like a sewer so I asked to change and they were very accommodating. The new room we were giving was family room with a conservatory type extension. the furniture was very strange as if it had been in a hospital or school. the rooms need updating a lot!! rusty towel rail and public toilet roll dispenser in the bathroom!! Strange. Stains on throw pillows and general cleanliness poor. The bed was very comfy though. The food was lovely but the service was not, we had to ask for a menu after been sat for 10-15 minutes no one asked if we wanted drinks so we went to the bar and got our own. food was bought out very quick no break in between really. The only think that really let the hotel down was the rooms and slow service would not like to be there for dinner at peak time. Seems like they cant decide if they want the hotel to be modern or not!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends