“Left early”

Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Left early”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Major disappointment with hotel. Web pages read well. So booked hotel for a special birthday celebration. But on arrival found hotel dated and service very disorganised. Catering appeared geared for bus parties. .I am a regular visitor to Newquay but would not use this hotel again.
I checked out early and lost 2 days of my break.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dave B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Rochester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The location was lovely looking over the River Gannel, lots of lovely country walks for us and the dogs and in walking distance from the town centre.
The room was clean but could really do with some updating, curtains, carpets, windows, furniture was tatty. Luckily we had our dogs with us so we weren't expecting anything too fancy.
I'm not fussy by any means but the food was basically in-edible. We'd paid for our meals in advance with the price of the hotel, but we had to fork out for meals at restaurants every night after eating there the first night. I was served room temperature pate for starter and my husband had 'sugar' soup! The mains were not too bad but the dessert....warm 'Iceland' cheesecake which I had to choke down and my husband had a lemon meringue pie which tasted like it had been sitting out for a week, the meringue was flat and papery, no doubt another product from Iceland! The breakfasts were not much better, when the waiter took our order and said it would be "a couple of seconds" we started to worry! The bacon was grey, the sausages were tasted like they were made from paper. There was little selection with the choice of 4 cereals, toast or the 'day-old' fry-up.
The public areas were lovely and the views were incredible which made the stay here not so bad. The staff were nice, although the cleaning lady did try to come into our room a few times without knocking!!
I would recommend if you are looking to stay somewhere scenic and accessible, just make sure you go out for dinner!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Scone333
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have to write and say that the reception staff are wonderful. My telephone enquiry was dealt with professionally; booking in and my room wonderful. Room 305 This exceeded my expectations.
It is regretable that what lets this hotel down is the Resturant and its surly resturant manager.
On my first morning, I was looking forward to my cooked to order breakfast. I sat in the resturant for over 10 minutes, the Resturant manager, kept walking past me, as did another member of the waiting staff. Getting somewhat tired of this, I called over a young waiter by the name of Mark, who took my order for coffee...by this time much needed..and my order for a cooked breakfast. He was very helpful, and polite. The Hotel, I noted from the Hotel car park had 2 coaches in. It was very evident that if not part of this group, you were not seen as a priority. I appreciate that holiday makers have their schedule , but there are other paying hotel guests. If someone had even acknowledged me, that would have been something. My 'home cooked' breakfast arrived very very quickly, Mark went in one door and exited the other with my breakfast. To my suspicion that this had been someone else's breakfast. A full english consits of sausage, egg, beans and bacon. It was luke warm and the beans, egg congealed. Continental is grapefruit, prunes and cereal.
This morning, I decided to avoid the full cooked and opted for poach eggs on toast with a side of bacon - this was delightful, and was evidently cooked to order. Washed down with copious amounts of hot strong tea, Things were improving, until imagine my horror at 08:18hrs that the same surly Resturant manger, (I am sure I must be invisible !) was discussing with his staff, the girl guids convention that were arriving today...66 people...their menu was discussed.....the're having jacket potatoes..with beans....and they are staying overnight...and hence in for breakfast. It was at this juncture that I decided to curtail my trip. I did not want a repeat of my first morning. Groups are a prority, I suppose this makes sense in the off peak season. The resturant manager whilst still on the resturant floor then decided to discuss next weeks shift with his staff...one young lady stated that she could not work Monday, he rather abruptly and very audibly said, 'Why not ? 'He then informed her that there is an extra bed in Room 20? Not very professional.Perhaps he could benefit with some training.
I have decided, to head off home. The girl guides have taken over the reception area, and the reception area is vast. A relaxing weekend I fear is to be had elsewhere.
I repeat though, that the Reception staff are wonderful and attentive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Barcelonared1

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We cannot understand the bad reviews submitted previously. We stayed 23-27 September. The public areas are large, comfortable and clean..with a view to die for. They have the most wonderful sunsets to view. The food was good with plenty of choice...full English breakfast for those who want it...choice of eggs, bread, cereal, juice, toast, jams, etc. The coffee, however, was absolutely VILE! Why oh why can't hotels make decent coffee?Evening meals were excellent, again, with plenty of choices...including fish and vegetarian. Lovely puds,too. Waiting staff good and friendly, nothing too much trouble.Drinks were very expensive. We had room 202 with balcony, ..beautiful view..ok it was very clean, towels and pillowcases changed daily, bathroom spotless..but for a double far too small. ...and bathroom so tiny as to be uncomfortable. Room needs renovating/updating as it is a bit tatty looking, with scuffed skirting boards, stained bath, dreadful shower. Our alarm clock ran out of battery and asked the receptionist for a wake up call. She said that was not possible, however, promptly gave me a two battery pack for the clock at no charge! Big brownie point at the beginning of our stay. Indoor pool lovely, alas no lockers, but no big deal.Outdoor pool clean and tidy...leaves blown on to the surface were removed each morning. Would I recommend it....it's a Three StarHotel,.....yes!

Room Tip: Ask for a View of the River Gannel...you can see the tide ebbing and flowing...and they face south...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peniludez
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Love everything about this hotel.. Already been back two weeks later.. 340 miles away.. The furniture and pictures and mirrors and artwork are all my cup of tea.. There's everything for children... Squash bowling swimming!!! Only a gym missing!!! Restaurant overlooking spectacular views.. South facing sun balconies in bedroom... Sun Trap... Beautiful... Mrs jones the owner for a very long time is the most welcoming lady ... She is a credit the the hotel and its concept... Nice bar area with sun terrace.. Pool table.. Snooker room below.. Play room for toddlers... Hairdresser too... And best of all .. The very hard working receptionists who have made my stay very enjoyable. And entertaining even... Anne and puppy Rosie... Fantastic...

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Anneripp
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I would not stay at this hotel or recommend it , breakfast poor , head waiters clothes covered in food 3 days on the trot. And trots is what we got , rooms awfull smelly dirty and very old , pool changing rooms dirty and stank did nt dare try the pool , I believe the receptionist left her job as she was fed up of complaints from guest of dirty tired old rooms , and the head waiter who lives in the hotel decided to smoke drugs and put guest & staff at risk ,
All the staff were talking about this as if it was the norm and not the 1 st time either. The only good thing about this stay was jem behind the bar who tried his hardest throughout our stay .

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank Crazimich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We were staying at a hotel nearby and wanted to play snooker. After searching we found that the Hotel California had a snooker table that anyone could play. So please bear in mind that we did not stay at the hotel and cannot comment on the food or rooms.
We were greeted by the friendly staff at reception, who assumed we were local, due to our strange request and they gave us the key to the snooker room,after a £5 deposit (not £5 an hour, as stated on their website).
We were given directions to the snooker room but had difficulty finding it, due to poor signage and layout of the hotel.
However whilst trying to find it, we did see the indoor pool, function room, bowling alley, bar and outdoor pool. All of which seemed adequate, though dated.
We did eventually find the snooker room after a man, who we weren't even sure if he even worked there but was directing many guests, showed us where it was.
The snooker room was musty, smelling like an elderly relatives home, hotter than the sun and reminiscent of the billiards room in the Cludo board game.
It was even referred to as 'the billiards room' by several elderly guests who walked by. We did not see any guests under the age of sixty.
The snooker table was old, the cloth ripped at one end, missing the long rests and no spider rests. The snooker balls were old, well used but serviceable.
We decided to leave after one game, during which several guests walked by because they could not find their rooms.
As stated by other reviewers the lobby has been recently refurbished but the rest of the hotel needs refreshing.

• Stayed September 2013