“Could not have been more impressed”

Great Western Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I live on the Isles of Scilly and due to personal reasons we had to come across for a hospital appointment on the 27th of January. We arrived at the hotel after hiring a car at around 6 oclock. Unfortunately and quite disturbingly my wife doubled up in pain on arrival and so I had to get an ambulance for her. The staff on reception were fantastic and made sure we were both looked after properly. I returned to the hotel much later after a long night in hospital to find out that we had been given a free upgrade on our room to aid our comfort. On top of this upon checking out of the hotel to go back to the hospital the next day, I was kindly given a voucher for a free nights stay in the hotel at a later date so that myself and my wife could enjoy the hotel properly with no troubles. The service and staff, especially Lucy on reception and the kind night porter who kept me sane whilst I was worrying, were better than I could have ever hoped for. I have stayed in lots of hotels in the past and I can honestly say that I have never been treated with such kindness and care. The good news is my wife is now home and on the mend and this is partly due to the professionalism we witnessed in the hotel. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I look forward to coming over again so that we can buy you a drink to say thankyou in person.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chodders

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We have stayed in the Great Western several times when visiting poorly relatives, we find the staff are very accommodating and friendly, the premier rooms are a good size, with good views and well equiped with tea/coffee & biscuits and a hairdryer in the bathroom. There are spare pillows in the wardrobe. Even when the hotel has had events/weddings it has not been noisy, the breakfast in the mornings is cooked fresh and competitively priced, We have also previously had breakfast at Weatherspoons but felt the breakfast at the Great Western was far better. The bar staff in the evening are very friendly and helpful. Checking out was efficient. We are due to stay there again soon which will no doubt also be just as good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed for one night 25th January . Stayed in room 112 lovely room , big comfy bed ,with a great view of the sea. Had an evening meal in the restaurant great service food was lovely as was the breakfast the next day. Will defiantly stay here again .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Good location for pubs and restaurants beach at end of hotels garden. Great staff parking good. Value for money. Would go again. Very good food and drinks.
Great shops happy staff. Love newquay going back in March this year

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel to attend the funeral of a close friend, whose wake was also held there. The visit also included dinner for 20+ people the evenings before and after the funeral. Everything was very well organised and professional, and without exception the staff were helpful in the extreme, nothing was too much trouble for them.
The room was comfortable and well appointed, we had a superior with a sea view.
Car parking is limited but can be prebooked, you then have a designated space with your name on it, a system which works well.

Room Tip: A sea view room is worth having.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 days in Jan for the wife's birthday and the room was more than adequate. Large room sofa TV (bit small) nice features no view aaa right above reception and face a wall etc.
Sunday morning just after 8 there was some idiot hammering and drilling right below us, with no consideration for guest.
would I stay here again, yes, probably as it was value for money.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have lived in Newquay for 25 years but have never before visited the Great Western. My visit yesterday was, unfortunately for a funeral 'wake'.
The hotel isn't very impressive from the outside but once inside it is excellent. Very spacious. A well stocked bar and the buffet was one of the best I have ever enjoyed. Friendly and efficient staff.
Excellent views over the coastline from the back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends