“Good value for money”

Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Bavaria
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel as a base for visiting the many wonderful gardens in Cornwall. We booked 2 single rooms and reserved a parking bay at the front of the hotel. The location of the hotel was excellent as was the service we received by the hotel staff. Our rooms were out the back and generally very quiet, apart from banging of doors by other guests. We had a sea view, which was nice. Our rooms were clean and tidy, big enough for one person. The brekafast did leave a little to be desired, but the evening meals in the bar were very good. The bar/beer garden were pleasant, and rounded the evening off lovely. For value for money, I would recommend this hotel without a doubt, and thank you for not penalising single room guests, as so many other hotels do!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank teajay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
Durham
Reviewed 9 July 2009

What a dump! Like a ramshackle rabbit warren, grubby and shambolic. Food dreadful. Wouldn't stay again if it was free.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank angelicmystery
plymouth
Reviewed 6 July 2009

from the outside and reception u think beautifull! when u get to your room disapointment starts it was dusty the toilet seat was broken there was a sticky stain on the floor and the mattress was coverd in sweat blood smelt like urine and god knows what else me and my friend came away with bites suspected that was from the bed when i asked to speak to manager he was to busy! and said via the receptionist he would look in to it and call me but iv heard nothing! location was lovely but room was such a disapoinment for £150 i exspected beter! wouldnt stay again and wouldnt recomend

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank linzi21Plymouth
Heanor
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Stayed in this hotel for two nights in June. The hotel is in a great location for the great western beach. The hotel is clean tidy and modern and has parking at the front, which we used. The room was small but was all we needed, our room was located at the front of the hotel and was fairly noisly due to being near a few bars and restuarants. We had a couple of drinks in the bar which was good and has good views over the beach and cliffs.
We booked through a late deals website and paid £90 for room only. On checking out I was told that I had to pay an extra £10 for the parking, which I was not told about andwhich slightly annoyed me.
The hotel was fine and in a good location but a little disapointed with the service.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HeanorRed
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Good things first. The young woman on reception, who seemed to be on duty 24 hours when I was there was nice. The view from the room and from the beer garden is great.

I booked parking, but no space was reserved. I was given a space around the corner in a private car park. Although I was told that the cost- £5 - for parking would be deducted from my bill, it wasn't. The room (222) is badly in need of re-decoration, but it was clean. The kettle is one of those upright kettles that sits on a base. You are supposed to flick a switch to turn it on. My kettle didn't work, because the connectors didn't connect. I had to hold it down tilting it to the back to make it work, and scalded myself in doing so.

I got in at about 21:15, and the staff told me that there was a queue, and that I could not have dinner. I asked a bar maid to top my pint up, and she did so with bad grace. " I suppose so" she said.

Breakfast was total rubbish. The menu claimed that it would be freshly prepared, and served to my table. I sat at my table for several minutes. No coffee was offered until about 15 minutes into the meal. I helped myself to muesli and yoghurt, which I ate, and then worked out for myself that the cooked items were in covered tureens, before I had even seen a member of staff. I helped myself to bacon, eggs, and sausage. The eggs were rubbery and congealed. I had virtually eaten my awful breakfast before a member of staff came up to offer me coffee. I told him how bad the breakfast was, and he offered to sort me out something fresher by which time it was too late. £7.50: what a waste of money!

Newquay should be re-named "Treblackpool". There are no decent pubs, and no decent take away restaurants. I ended up with a passable pizza from next door to the Wetherspoons pub, which I ate in my room watching Question Time.

Finishing positively, I had a lovely evening walk, and saw Atlantic Grey Seals, off West Pentire. I visited 3 nice pubs within 20 minutes from Newquay: The Smugglers' Den, The Miners' Arms and The Old Albion at Crantock.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Idler
Worcester
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I booked this hotel last minute on the internet. I had been to the bar downstairs the previous year before so I knew that it was in a good location for what we wanted. There are a few car park spaces available right outside the hotel but you need to request these in advance, I hadn't done this but the staff were very helpful in organising one for me, it costs £5 a day which is cheaper than paying for pay and display over the road. On first impressions of the hotel the staff were helpful and polite, the hotel was very clean, the room was quite small if i'm honest, but we just wanted a bed for the night so it was ideal, everything in the room was clean and so was the bathroom ( i must say i am fussy when it comes to bathrooms) we didnt have a room with a view which didn't bother me either as we were hardly in the room to sit there starring out the window. I think we got what we paid for which was a good deal £100 for 2 of us for 2 nights. The only thing that I would say is because it is quite an old building I could hear when people were walking around above our room, as there were some very creaky floor boards, I don't think the walls are very thick either as I could hear most things. Overall though we both had a great time in Newquay and I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again. On the carbon monoxide (which has been mentioned in earlier reviews on this hotel) front please don't let other reviews put you off this hotel..... i was told by a local that this is prob the safest hotel in Newquay now after the carbon monoxide incident a few years previous as everything had to be changed and re-done.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
great torrington
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We needed a break away!. This was the first time I had booked a holiday on the Net!! I could not believe how reasonably priced the booking was. The Hotel was really good. We knew we would have a standard room, but it was excellent, very clean, a good size, maybe the furniture was a little dated, but it was a really comfortable stay. The Staff were excellent and the Hotel common rooms were superb. Breakfast was excellent too!!!. We will definitely return. A very big thankyou to all Staff., they all need highly commending.

• Liked — location/views
  • Disliked — rooms too warm for me, but could turn the heating down
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple