“I would avoid dealing with Nikki (proprietor) like the plague”
Review of Ravensbury Hotel

Ravensbury Hotel
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 27 May 2010

We stayed at this particular place back in June 2008 and was very pleased with everything so we decided to book again (June 2010) however this time round unfortunately we had to cancel our stay due to unforseen circumstances. My partner had emailed her to explain the situation and she recieved a voicemail reply from Nikki confirming the cancellation. I decided to call her to discuss the deposit we had paid (which yes I know states it is non-refundable!) and her manner on the phone was absolutely terrible! She was belittling, patronising and didn't even give me a chance to speak, she kept interuptting mid-sentence and then to top it off she proceeded to then hang up on me after only about 25 seconds to her on the phone. she then did it again after I called back a second time! I find this an absolutely outrageous way to deal with customers especially ones that are repeat visitors and especially as I was not even being slightly challenging or rude. Perhaps even more relevant is the fact that the other reason I was calling was to see if we could put the deposit to a stay later on in the year...(yeah like thats going to happen now!)

I personally feel that with this approach this lady should certainly not be working in any industry that involves the words 'customers and service' especially a B&B and should perhaps should consider a career change to a role in something doesn't involve any dealings whatsoever with the general public. I'm sorry to anyone reading this review if this comment seems derogatory or judgemental however I now livid with being dealt with like this.. and nobody likes being hung up on.

This a complete shame for us and other than proprietors apalling attitude and ethic we absolutely loved this place and wouldn't have hesitated to recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank michbadtouch

Reviewed 17 May 2010

we came down for a long weekend family holiday, just me my partner and son., when we arrived we recieved a very warm welcoming service, quiet location, easy to find, ten minute walk from newquay town, spent most the weekend walking into and out town that close to town.
the room we had was on the top floor, few flight stairs, once inside the room we had the most gorgeous view you could imagine, over looking fisteral beach. had en-suite bathroom, bit small but it was fine for the weekend. tv which had free view which was god send, kept our little boy happy whilst we was in the room. we had our own tea making service in the room, plenty room to hang all our clothes. mirror and stool so could do hair.
breakfast was enjoyable, catered for all our needs, escpecially our son who needed high chair. we could come and go as we pleased. overall a very nice stay would go back again and stay in the same room had double bed which was really comfortable and single bed

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bexcabby
Reviewed 21 June 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights before heading over to Devon. The hotel is in a great position and from the room we had (7) had a fantastic view of Fistral beach and it's surfers. The hotel itself is a little dated where decor is concerned and a little tired in places but do not let this put you off. The host Nick and her staff were great. The room itself was a family room (1 double, 1 single) but the double bed didn't look big enough for us as we are used to a king size so the 1st night I slept in the single which ws like laying on a bed of rocks, a child probably wouldn't care. The 2nd night we swapped and the double was much more comfortable ( I had it the 3rd night too, hehe). The bathroom ensuite was very small and the shower non adjustable so a little short for us (I am 5ft 8) but we managed fine. Breakfast and the service that went with it was fantastic. Parking is out front on the road and we never had any trouble finding a space. I believe in giving a thorough review highliting all points so as with most hotels there are good and bad points, if you are able to see beyond dated decord and surface cracks the good here far out weighs the bad.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teri2512Stafford
Reviewed 18 March 2009

We arrived a bit later than expected, Joys of the A30 to a warm welcome from Nicki, Room was perfect view was to die for. It is a bit of a way out for the Newquay Nightlife but at £4 back in a "Fleet" cab it was not un reasonable.

Breakfast was Nice and offered extra

Clean room every time we came back and after being to Newquay a few times staying in B&Bs and Hotels I would stay there every time I go back down.

Staff- Friendly and welcoming, local knollage introduced us to places that even our daughter (who lives in Newquay) didnt know existed

Room- was spacious and the view stunning over Fistral Beach en-suit did its job (what else u spose to say about a toilet lol)

Food- Breakfast was lovley every morning

Negatives- only negatives that I can see is parking (its on the road, in season I recon its a bit touch and go) and its a bit of a way out if you like Newquay for the bars but we used Fleet cabs and they were cheap and friendly too.

I look forward to staying there again the next time we down

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Riskit
Reviewed 3 September 2008

To keep this short & sweet, on the upside we had a lovely twin room with the most comfortable bed i have ever slept in, bright bathroom,everything spotless & regularly cleaned.Downside, breakfast served from 8.30 til 9, bit of a rush! disappointing when you're served up cash & carry chipolatas, warm, soggy hash browns and white sliced (cold) toast.Only saw the host twice,first time to pay our bill when we arrived,second time to hand our key back when we left! Also says car park on brochure, what it doesnt say is that it's only for 2 cars, 3 at a push.If you have been out late you have to find somewhere along the road.Also assumed it was a quick walk into the heart of Newquay, was in fact a good half hour.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed 17 July 2008

I have just phoned the hotel and wanted to book two rooms for 1 night in September. The lady on the phone offered me the more expensive rooms but I said I had seen cheaper ones available on the internet. She said that they are horrible rooms but if I wanted them I would be more than welcome to have them. She explained that they were at the top of the building, many stairs, no sea views but it'll be entirely up to me. We started discussing the details when she said I should hurry up, she didn't want to be rude but she had people there. If that's not rude, I don't know. Unbelievably manner. Obviously, she wasn't happy with a one night stay and me asking for the cheaper rooms. Describing your own hotel rooms as horrible is not very enticing either.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Rainbow22
Reviewed 11 March 2008

We have just returned from a long weekend in Newquay, where we stayed at the Ravenbury hotel, which for the price we paid was exceptional. From first impressions to goodbyes all we can say is what an excellent choice.
The en-suite room we were advised was "small but this was made up for in the views", but we were more than impressed with how clean and welcoming the room was, filled with a fantastically comfortable bed, more than enough furnishings for clothing etc and the bathroom was really clean and functional.
Breakfast with a choice of full english or cereal, toast etc, was really exceptional quality, served by real friendly staff.
We asked for advise on the best places to eat and what to see while we were there and all of the advise turned out to be the best.
We couldn't wait to get back to our room in the late afternoons and we can't wait to get back for another visit. Five star is not enough!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple