“Doesn't try to be what it's not”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
London
“Doesn't try to be what it's not”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

There are already lots of reviews with varying opinions but if you are realistic about the price you are paying and understand that this is a hotel set up for families with young children then you are likely to be very happy with your stay.
The staff are universally excellent, nothing was too much trouble and they are obviously genuinely enjoying what they do, a big contrast to some much more expensive holidays we have had. The rooms are well configured and comfortable (although the energy saving lighting is harsh and cold). We could have used another bin!
The facilities are ideal for children, although some areas are tired looking there is a continual process of renewing and upgrading.
Perhaps the only negative comment I would have is with the food. The children’s menus are really quite adult so fussy eaters (I have two) may not find something they enjoy at every meal, however as usual the staff were more than happy to cook something to order if given a few hours notice.
We stayed full board and the adult evening meals were good but not spectacular – but again at ~£15 per adult per day one can’t really complain. We just felt that almost every dish could do with a little more seasoning and some didn’t quite match the grand descriptions. The newly refurbished restaurant is smart and comfortable but very noisy when only half full.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Second stay at Sands with 3 kids under 4 years old. The hotel is ideally set up for young families. Staff and cleanliness excellent. Listening in service allows parents to have an adult meal. We will booking up for a further stay shortly.

• Stayed March 2013
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I had a facial at the hotel's spa and was very disappointed. Therapist who "welcomed" us at reception didn't even look up from her computer. The room I had my treatment in was ok but the bed dropped a bit when I got on it. I had to ask for a pillow as the back of my head was left to sit down the face hole which was very uncomfortable. The was no cushion placed under my knees. The towels provided to cover me during the treatment were far too small, just over the size of a hand towel so was left feeling cold. The therapist was very heavy handed and at one point even pressed down quite hard on my wind pipe. I had to ask her to lighten her touch which she did slightly but it was still too heavy. She gave me about 1 minute of a head massage then left the room for 10 minutes while the mask set in. Overall I was very disappointed. The only good thing was when I went to pay it was £11 cheaper than I expected as they decided to give me a different type of facial as a booked. It almost seemed as though they were short staffed and got someone from college still training to stand in. Never again!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank jeni-flower84
SandsResort, Manager at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
I am sorry that you didn't find your treatment matched your expectations.

I have taken the matter up with the Spa Manager so we can sort out any issues resulting from your comments. We dont have any note of any complaints in the spa over the past several months so can't track the issue to one therapist, so we will make sure that all therapists take on board your feedback.

Allthough you had booked at a higher price we gave you the price of a special offer we were running for the same treatment.

Regards
Nicholas Malcolm
Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 March 2013

As a place for an overnight stay and arriving around 6pm it was difficult to get ones head round all the convoluted seating and eating arrangements. Travelling with youngish children we were too late for kids tea and felt the reception in the dining room for dinner was rather cold. One felt as if diners were unwelcome and when was told of the different zones for seating and times for eating it began to feel a bit like Butlins. The set menus gave no scope for a lighter bite. We could see that the leisure facilities were good though we had no time to make use of them as we were departing very early next morning. The rooms were clean and comfortable so it seems a good place for a family holiday but less attractive for one night.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank spectacleYorkshire
SandsResort, Manager at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Many thanks for your review.

I would have to agree that as an overniight stop destination you really aren't going to get the best from Sands which is a holiday destination best enjoyed over several days. Arriving after 6.00 pm and leaving esarly the next morning gives you no chance to use the facilities which you saw but were unable to use because of time constraint.

With regard to the rules we prefer to call them choices. We have guests who have many different dining requirements. Some parents want to use the childrens clubs or baby listening so they can eat as a couple in a quiet dining room, others want to eat as a family, others want their children to have an early tea and then sit with the parents whilst they have their dinner later. We try to offer as many choices as we can.

By giving people choices we hope to meet as many of these requiremnt as possible. I'm sorry that you saw them as rules, most of our guests will have read the dining choices which are on the booking confirmation and website, they pre-book but can change it during the holiday.

I wish you had had an opportunity to stay for a couple of days as I'm sure things would have made sense then and you would have had a chance to enjoy a Sands holiday..

Regards

Nicholas Malcolm
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had a very enjoyable evening at our christmas party. My manager had been to The Sands Hotel before so on that we choose this hotel to host our annual Christmas party and we were not disappointed at all. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food was served promptly and was delicious, fab prices at the bar too, being Christmas and Newquay we were expecting a lot more!
The rooms were fab, we had a sea view, the rooms lovely size and very clean. WE look forward to returning next year!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Just got back from this hotel, and all I can say is, it's a fantastic hotel, and I can see why it has been voted number 1 hotel for families in Europe!
My wife and I have just visited this hotel with our 2 year old son, and from the moment you walk in you are made very welcome. The staff are friendly, and very good at their jobs. Nothing is too much trouble for them.
Our son loved every minute of being there, and we were only there a couple of nights.
They run a pirates club at the hotel, and Oliver(our son) loved it in there. As soon as he came out from the club, he wanted to go back in. They were great with him. So that gave my wife and I time to enjoy breakfast and evening meal together, knowing that Oliver was in safe hands. We didn't get chance to thank the staff at the children's club, so thank you very much for everything!
Food was lovely. From the breakfast to the evening meal, it was all very nice and cooked to a high standard.
I stayed at this hotel with my parents about 20 years ago, and they said it was great for kids back then. It's good to see that they have carried on the great reputation.
We will definitely be going back to this hotel in the near future, and it's only a couple hours drive that makes it a bonus.
Keep up the great work.
Many thanks
Mark and Hay

Ps: Don't ever get rid of the train

• Stayed February 2013
London
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Lovely room with sea view, and the whole family had a very relaxing time! The evening kids club got rave reviews from our 7 yr old, and was great because it meant my wife and I could eat in the 'adult zone' in peace! Staff were always friendly and very helpful. Swimming was great! The new gym was also very good and much better than I expected. Food was above average, some nights it was outstanding, others just average. Kids entertainment each night was very good.
If you have kids under 8, seriously give sands a try! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
#6 of 38 in Newquay
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!