This was our first visit having found the hotel on a random Internet search. We could not have been luckier. As a family of 4 with children aged 5 and 1, this was a perfect location. The hotel is entirely kid-friendly and we could easily have spent our whole week just using the swimming pools and outdoor play areas. Everything we experienced really made this a perfect holiday.
Need to know:
We booked a Suite and this meant the kids had a separate room - bonus. It also allowed a wonderful sea view. Furnishings etc were good quality though, for me, the bed was a bit hard and I would have liked a stronger shower. The kids' room was by the exit door - a bigger child could maybe get the door open but the hotel do provide stair gates. Rooms also have a fridge which is very handy. No aircon but fans. Overall given it is not actually your own home, you can't really fault the rooms.
Food - really good quality. Some reviews have been a bit mean in my opinion. Yes, breakfast is buffet-style and can get busy but I think a choice of cereal, cooked items, yoghurt, fruit etc is pretty good. (And no one comments on seconds!)
Kids high tea is great and we were lucky that our 5 year old found something he liked every night!
The restaurant menu is varied and the quality very high given the hotel is busy - food was served to my awkward menu-altering taste without a bat of an eyelid. Wine/ beer prices are very reasonable given it's a hotel but I am from the south-east so perhaps used paying inflated prices everyday.
Facilities - the entertainment programme is excellent and our son loved the Clown/Magician/Disco. He begged to go to the Kids' Club and the girls there were fantastic. This also meant we managed a 'grown-up' meal whilst also using baby listening. First time we've done it and all was well. (Yes, I was a 'yummy mummy sipping white wine' - whilst also panicking and checking the room every 10 mins(!)). But it's a good service if you want to brave it and it helped our son make friends of a similar age.
The entertainment on site - pools/play areas etc are also very good for a range of ages. We had great fun playing tennis and getting lost in the maze.
The hotel was spotless and one poor boy seemed to spend his entire day cleaning the glass doors bless him. Our room was serviced every day and towels etc were replaced at our request.
All the staff were extremely friendly and always said Hello and listened to my son's tales with cheery smiles.
This (with the exception of the road over Bodmin) was the least stressful holiday we have ever had - we highly recommend!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa overlooks the Atlantic ocean to the west and countryside to the east. The hotel offers a range of free sports facilities and children's clubs as well as a beauty spa, two pools and a gym. Most suites have separate sleeping areas for children and are in a contemporary design. A free baby listening service is also available.In 2016 Sands Resort Hotel & Spa was voted to be amongst the Best 10 Family Hotels in the UK ranking 5th in the TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Sands Resort Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands Resort Hotel And Spa
- Sands Hotel Newquay
- Sands Hotel Porth
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa Newquay, Cornwall