“Simply fantastic”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Been meaning to write this review for a while but I can't recommend it enough. We stayed for my parents wedding and it was all sublime. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the feel of the place was great. We'll be going for many years to come now.

Room Tip: Try for a sea view, well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our second year at Sands. The food is great, the entertainment is well thought out to keep the kids amused & especially to wear them out an hour before bedtime. The staff are exemplary, the icing on the cake and it's so good to see the same staff from last year. Early kids tea and baby listening in the rooms means a holiday for us too! The locations is perfect as surrounded by beautiful beaches.
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lydia D
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed two nights with our two year old and found it to be the most relaxing stay of the holiday. We booked her in for a day care session and then were able to hit the Spa for some needed relaxation and a catch up. The nursery was as good as any high end preschool with dressing up, wendy house, kitchen, train tracks, painting and messy play etc.. she was in her element and the staff were great. There was also a soft play room so we were quite easily able to tire her out indoors on the day that the weather wasn't so great. The only thing was that the room was quite far from the restaurant, but the food and service were excellent.
I'd definitely go back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I spent two nights at Sands with my daughters aged 13, 10 and 7. The room was perfect for our needs- the main bedroom with its huge bed was extremely comfortable and with a lovely sea view. The weather was foul, but we had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend without feeling the need to go out! We lounged in the pool, I lounged in the steam room. We thoroughly enjoyed the great selection of breakfast options, the lunchtime burgers were delicious and the kids tea time was so stress free it was untrue. Myself and my eldest indulged in having our three course dinner delivered by room service. The food was absolutely delicious, and piping hot. My girls were thrilled by the games room. We truly wanted to stay for a week and would absolutely recommend Sands to families.

Room Tip: Our second floor room was extremely quite, even with a wedding disco downstairs. The view was lovely...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We got a package over Easter holidays for our family (2 adults/2 kids aged 11) which included breakfast and dinner. I thought that was worthwhile especially the dinner part since it would get chilly or rain at night and it would be hard to find a restaurant/ parking and drive in the dark in unfamiliar territory. So we were happy that we were just at the hotel for dinner enjoying the sunsets. They had a different menu every night complete with 3 courses. The food was good and the service excellent. The only time I felt that the service was lousy was on Easter breakfast and dinner since they were working on a skeleton force, understandably.
The receptionists were great too. Service was impeccable. When I called to say my night light was busted, it was quickly changed.
The rooms were spacious with great views.
I really think though that families with younger kids will benefit most from this resort. My kids are already 11 so they did enjoy the zipline and playing football in the field (footballs are provided).
But there's so much more for younger kids.
Also, when I called the hotel to ask for restaurant recommendations for Easter Sunday lunch prior to arrival, they suggested Lewinnick Lodge Restaurant and it was fabulous!!
Thumbs up for this hotel! Won't hesitate to recommend it since it perfect for families with young kids.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Penciltoon
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I only stayed one night. I was with my teenage daughter. Had a room on the first floor with a fantastic sea view. There was a seperate room for my daughter with a TV, though she didn't use it, and a cot (didnt need that!) I had a king size double bed. The room was so big! Big French windows looking out to sea. I could even see it from the bed. Got locked out of the room as the key card would not work. Staff were great and got me back in. Turned out it was probably my fault as I'm not used to key cards.

The food was lovely and all the waiting staff were so polite and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel,

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Best part of our stay:
- The maze in the hotel grounds. Kids spent ages in it!
- The bouldering wall. Dad spent ages on it :-)
- The evening meals. Fantastic quality and good variety. Before we arrived we wondered if we made a good choice going full board but were glad we did.

Room for improvement:
- TVs in rooms are quite small.
- We had to leave the hotel at 3AM in our PJs one night due to a fire alarm going off. Fire service arrived. After about 30 minutes people started to drift back inside. Turned out to be a false alarm. We were not upset about that (these things happen) but did feel that someone from the hotel should have apologized and also it should have been someone from the hotel very clearly and loudly telling everyone they could return to their rooms rather than just finding out from the mumbling (tired) person next to us!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RiverMonster