“Great place to stay, Great views and Service”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
“Great place to stay, Great views and Service”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited as part of a larger group for a family reunion and after the last hotel I had stayed at, the Sands Resort was a welcome change. First thing you notice is the view, most of the rooms have an unobstructed view of the ocean. We stayed in June and the sun didn't go down until after 10 pm (with light visible over the horizon until after 11, unreal!). The room I stayed in (comfort suite) was designed for kids; the first room had two twin beds and a crib as well as a TV and DVD. The master bedroom had a king-size bed and a sitting area with a tremendous view (it also had a TV and DVD as well). As this is a resort hotel and people might want to bring extra equipment, the room had six large shelves, each large enough to hold a large suitcase or other bulky items. There was also a tea service and small fridge. One of the few issues I had was that the sun was baking the windows and the heater was set on 25 degrees C (and I couldn't figure out how to turn it down) but with the cool sea air and included fans it wasn't a problem. The bathroom was nice and included a towel warmer but the bath tub had a glass partition that allowed more water on the floor than I would like but again, it was a minor problem.

The hotel has FREE Wi-Fi, which was a welcome change considering the last hotel I stayed at charged 10 Pounds per day. Unfortunately the transmitters needed some upgrading and new installations as the signal didn't work all that well in my room and didn't work at all in the hotel's restaurant. On several occasions I saw a member of my group on her iPad in the lobby because her part of the hotel didn't have Wi-Fi. As this hotel is very focused on their guests needs, I hope they correct this in the future. As an overseas traveler my phone didn't have good reception in the area so Wi-Fi was all the more important. Thankfully they also provide Ethernet ports in the rooms and I now travel with a portable Wi-Fi router (the size of a flash drive) for situations like this.

The breakfast was excellent. I do not know the pricing or if it's included as my trip was part of a package. "The Full English" was provided as well as cereals, fruits and juice. The toasters were a little weird to operate as you had to raise a knob to lower the bread AND turn a dial or you didn't get your toast (and don't leave it because it doesn't pop up unless you push down that knob again). Dinner in the hotel was also tasty but I wish there was a little more focus on local dishes considering it was a fixed menu. Don't get me wrong, salmon with soy noodles and chili was nice but if I'm visiting Cornwall I'd like a little more local fare. I suppose people who live in the region might want some variety as well so I'd suggest there be at least one Cornish / English dish available on the menu each night.

The hotel is on the outskirts of Newquay, which has its advantages and disadvantages. It was very quiet and the view is beautiful but it was also quite far away from any businesses like restaurants or supermarkets if you need supplies and you are visiting without a car (as I was).

As I have extended family who live in Cornwall, I'm sure I'll be back again and when I do I'll be sure to look up the Sands Resort Hotel and Spa. -- But please fix that Wi-Fi. :-)

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face the ocean but one person in my group was facing inland. If the ocean view is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

For a 3-star, this place is great, especially for kids.

Just back from a 3 night stay with bed breakfast and dinner, we had the good fortune to have fantastic sunny weather - this may have somewhat coloured my impression..

We found the place very clean and the staff, without exception, extremely helpful. We took a sea view room with and extra sleeping place for the kids. The sea view was just that, although there is a road which generates some noise, so needed to keep the windows shut when going to sleep.

The hotel has lots of things going on, our kid loved the bouncy castles, the maze, and all that sort of stuff. I even managed a couple of rounds on the pitch and putt. Beaches are a short drive away, but there are a couple within a few minutes that do the job.

Wifi in some areas, although a bit of Mr Bean aerial acrobatics required to get a useful signal..

Food was fine (actually we only managed one of the three dinners), timing is a bit rough. Kids meals start at 5, which was fine for our 3 year old, they don't do adult food, and adult is at 7pm which is too late for the sprog. They have a room listening service, but we were a little too nervous to give it a go. Of course the staff would happily let you grab your food to go, so it's not like they would have us go hungry :)

Overall I got the strong impression this is a hotel that really tries hard to provide as much as it can for a reasonable price, and it manages to do that. I felt that the way they had it set up came after many years experience and experimentation, and while not everything catered to my exact whim, I could respect that, even admire it.

We will be back, a 4 hour drive is so much easier that flights and the like.

1 Thank gumbril
Saint Columb Major, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We went for lunch and then used the facilities including crazy golf, pitch and putt, basketball, mini tennis, full tennis, football pitch, maze, assault course, pirate ship and playground , outdoor pool , indoor pool, table tennis, air hockey ... Wow the kids slept well that night !! And I was shattered ... Haha
The food was excellent , well presented with lovely choice ( although the choice was a bit limited and grown up for my 6 and 7 yr old) the drinks are reasonable price and not hotel inflated... Didn't stay overnight so don't know about hotel side .. But found the whole site clean and tidy and staff helpful and friendly and would definitely go back again for a meal or a night away as a treat .

W

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Debby S
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We popped down from Bristol on another Gap filler break for fathers day weekend. We've stayed a number of times over the last 4 years and it still feels like a home from home. We've always stayed in the contemporary suites, which provide the separate sleeping area for the children and amazing views for the parents.

We had fabulous weather so enjoyed a day on Watergate bay beach, followed by some fun in Sand's outdoor pool on our return. We also enjoyed the indoor pool a couple of times in our visit.

The kids enjoyed themselves, and we also managed to take advantage of the listening service to enjoy a couple of civilised dinners with wine. The food was incredible value and of its usual high standards.

We can't fault this place as it provides a nice balance of facilities, value and service and of course an amazing location.

Huge thanks to all the team as the hotel, including those behind the scenes. We had an amazing break again thanks. See you soon again.

Room Tip: Contemporary suites are wonderful. Higher floors have better views
1 Thank James O
Derby
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have just recently returned from another fantastic trip at Sands and are already planning our next visit.
As always the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. The food was excellent, the kids club awesome and generally fantastic time was had by all.
The only criticism is that we run our own business and need to pick up emails during the day and the wifi is very intermittent. They do have facilities to hard wire in the reception but this means us taking time away from the kids for us to sit in reception but this would not stop us from returning here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DerbyEmma
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This was a last minute super find for 5 days away! We have two children aged 8 and 11 and have never gone down the family hotel route, but we were attracted by the room layout - a superking sized bed for us, just like at home and a connected room in the suite for our girls. We weren't disappointed, the main bedroom furnishings were nice too, with excellent blackout curtains in both rooms. We opted for the meal plan because it was good value and thought we could always bob out if we didn't like it. But, it's been so delicious and varied, we have looked excitedly to see what was for dinner when leaving from the super help yourself breakfast.

Here's what's great:
Free loan of wet suits, buckets and spades and some body boards.
Helpful and friendly attitude of staff.
Room layout.
The pitch and put, playground, including zip wire.
Excellent landscaping.
Outdoor pool and slide.
Indoor pool, lovely steam room and clean changing facilities, lots of fresh free towels (unlike my own gym!)
Food and wine choice.
Indoor play areas! Our two are too old, but it's better than centre parcs!
The spa - best facial ever, lovely salon, my oldest enjoyed her teen facial too.
Haircuts - great when you don't have time at home.
Location - great for exploration. Newquay is ok, but main town is a bit shabby round the edges, and this hotel is a distance away.
We stayed over our witsuntide school holidays, so it was quiet. I can imagine it being very busy over summer, but good for families, especially young ones.

In short, we will be sad to leave tomorrow! Lovely break, for a family who don't do 'family style' holidays!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adele S
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We recently stayed here for 4 nights B&B. We had one of the contempory suites which we had stayed in previously. We had our 2 boys with us (3.5 and 2) and the room was perfect. The boys had their own llittle room with a cot, bunk and a single (we used the cot and bottom bunk), then there is a little area with the bathroom coming off, and then into 'the adults' room, nice king size bed. This area also had the TV and a small lounge type setup.
The breakfast was excellent, brilliant selection of food for all, and as much as we wanted, we all know how picky kids can get!! Soft Play for the kids (although not open until 11am which is a bit late in the day for kids as they want to run around before any attractions open), pool excellent for a splash about. We'll be back next year!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lucy m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth
Longbeach Hotel
Longbeach Hotel
#26 of 38 in Newquay

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!