I visited as part of a larger group for a family reunion and after the last hotel I had stayed at, the Sands Resort was a welcome change. First thing you notice is the view, most of the rooms have an unobstructed view of the ocean. We stayed in June and the sun didn't go down until after 10 pm (with light visible over the horizon until after 11, unreal!). The room I stayed in (comfort suite) was designed for kids; the first room had two twin beds and a crib as well as a TV and DVD. The master bedroom had a king-size bed and a sitting area with a tremendous view (it also had a TV and DVD as well). As this is a resort hotel and people might want to bring extra equipment, the room had six large shelves, each large enough to hold a large suitcase or other bulky items. There was also a tea service and small fridge. One of the few issues I had was that the sun was baking the windows and the heater was set on 25 degrees C (and I couldn't figure out how to turn it down) but with the cool sea air and included fans it wasn't a problem. The bathroom was nice and included a towel warmer but the bath tub had a glass partition that allowed more water on the floor than I would like but again, it was a minor problem.
The hotel has FREE Wi-Fi, which was a welcome change considering the last hotel I stayed at charged 10 Pounds per day. Unfortunately the transmitters needed some upgrading and new installations as the signal didn't work all that well in my room and didn't work at all in the hotel's restaurant. On several occasions I saw a member of my group on her iPad in the lobby because her part of the hotel didn't have Wi-Fi. As this hotel is very focused on their guests needs, I hope they correct this in the future. As an overseas traveler my phone didn't have good reception in the area so Wi-Fi was all the more important. Thankfully they also provide Ethernet ports in the rooms and I now travel with a portable Wi-Fi router (the size of a flash drive) for situations like this.
The breakfast was excellent. I do not know the pricing or if it's included as my trip was part of a package. "The Full English" was provided as well as cereals, fruits and juice. The toasters were a little weird to operate as you had to raise a knob to lower the bread AND turn a dial or you didn't get your toast (and don't leave it because it doesn't pop up unless you push down that knob again). Dinner in the hotel was also tasty but I wish there was a little more focus on local dishes considering it was a fixed menu. Don't get me wrong, salmon with soy noodles and chili was nice but if I'm visiting Cornwall I'd like a little more local fare. I suppose people who live in the region might want some variety as well so I'd suggest there be at least one Cornish / English dish available on the menu each night.
The hotel is on the outskirts of Newquay, which has its advantages and disadvantages. It was very quiet and the view is beautiful but it was also quite far away from any businesses like restaurants or supermarkets if you need supplies and you are visiting without a car (as I was).
As I have extended family who live in Cornwall, I'm sure I'll be back again and when I do I'll be sure to look up the Sands Resort Hotel and Spa. -- But please fix that Wi-Fi. :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa overlooks the Atlantic ocean to the west and countryside to the east. The hotel offers a range of free sports facilities and children's clubs as well as a beauty spa, two pools and a gym. Most suites have separate sleeping areas for children and are in a contemporary design. A free baby listening service is also available.In 2016 Sands Resort Hotel & Spa was voted to be amongst the Best 10 Family Hotels in the UK ranking 5th in the TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Sands Resort Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands Resort Hotel And Spa
- Sands Hotel Newquay
- Sands Hotel Porth
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa Newquay, Cornwall