We stayed at Sands for a 3 day break with our 2 kids (5 and 1yr) and my Mum. Our contemporary suite was very pleasing, spacious and with everything you could want. On entring the room off the corridor you go straight into the twin bedded room which also housed the cot. There is no opening window in this room which makes keeping it cool a problem. We had the fan on all the time to try and cool it and luckily the white noise enabled our kids to sleep well.
The decor of the adult room was far superior and modern. The bath was a tad small (clearly encouraging you to shower) but suitable for bathing kids. My only gripe was the shower door wasn't sealed well so you ended up with a huge puddle on the floor.
The food was good and service very effcient and quick. Let's face it travelling with young kids is never going to have finesse but having stayed at the nearby Bedruthan Steps before we felt the quality was poorer. For example one night I had beetroot with goats cheese. What I received was two slices of cooked beetroot, two tiny squares of goats cheese a few croutons with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. It was something a GCSE student could knock up. Equally we felt the wine staff could bother a bit better - bottle were plonked on the table without undoing the screw cap or allowing you to sample it. Equally we had lunch there everyday as it was very reasonably priced yet if we ordered the same thing more than once, each time it would be different e.g. one day the greek salad had egg the next it didn't.
In terms of atmosphere I thought the kids teas were more civilised than that at Bedruthan and the quality of them far better (healthier too). The family dining was more chaotic.
All the staff seem very young but other than the grumpy blonde bar lady they were all extremely friendly and helpful and deserve praise.
I'd also recommend the hairdresser who did great kids cuts at very affordable prices and the massage in the spa was fantastic.
There's plenty to do outdoors but internal facilities are restricted. The soft play (which is more a padded room than soft play house) is only open when the activity clubs are closed and the indoor pool will only permit 22 people at a time, 3-4 being very busy. The evening kids entertainment is a great offering but variable in quality, we saw Billy Wiz (brilliant), circus skills (OK) and party games (OK but too short duration).
All in all we had a nice time and I will probably return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa overlooks the Atlantic ocean to the west and countryside to the east. The hotel offers a range of free sports facilities and children's clubs as well as a beauty spa, two pools and a gym. Most suites have separate sleeping areas for children and are in a contemporary design. A free baby listening service is also available.In 2016 Sands Resort Hotel & Spa was voted to be amongst the Best 10 Family Hotels in the UK ranking 5th in the TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Sands Resort Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands Hotel Newquay
- Sands Resort Hotel And Spa
- Sands Hotel Porth
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa Newquay, Cornwall