“Caters well for small children”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at Sands for a 3 day break with our 2 kids (5 and 1yr) and my Mum. Our contemporary suite was very pleasing, spacious and with everything you could want. On entring the room off the corridor you go straight into the twin bedded room which also housed the cot. There is no opening window in this room which makes keeping it cool a problem. We had the fan on all the time to try and cool it and luckily the white noise enabled our kids to sleep well.
The decor of the adult room was far superior and modern. The bath was a tad small (clearly encouraging you to shower) but suitable for bathing kids. My only gripe was the shower door wasn't sealed well so you ended up with a huge puddle on the floor.
The food was good and service very effcient and quick. Let's face it travelling with young kids is never going to have finesse but having stayed at the nearby Bedruthan Steps before we felt the quality was poorer. For example one night I had beetroot with goats cheese. What I received was two slices of cooked beetroot, two tiny squares of goats cheese a few croutons with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. It was something a GCSE student could knock up. Equally we felt the wine staff could bother a bit better - bottle were plonked on the table without undoing the screw cap or allowing you to sample it. Equally we had lunch there everyday as it was very reasonably priced yet if we ordered the same thing more than once, each time it would be different e.g. one day the greek salad had egg the next it didn't.
In terms of atmosphere I thought the kids teas were more civilised than that at Bedruthan and the quality of them far better (healthier too). The family dining was more chaotic.
All the staff seem very young but other than the grumpy blonde bar lady they were all extremely friendly and helpful and deserve praise.
I'd also recommend the hairdresser who did great kids cuts at very affordable prices and the massage in the spa was fantastic.
There's plenty to do outdoors but internal facilities are restricted. The soft play (which is more a padded room than soft play house) is only open when the activity clubs are closed and the indoor pool will only permit 22 people at a time, 3-4 being very busy. The evening kids entertainment is a great offering but variable in quality, we saw Billy Wiz (brilliant), circus skills (OK) and party games (OK but too short duration).
All in all we had a nice time and I will probably return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our son, daughter in law and 3 grandsons aged 4 years, 2 years and 8 weeks invited us to spend a holiday with them at Sands. We haven't holidayed in a hotel in England tending to go self catering so wondered how this would work with 3 young children. We had a brilliant time at Sands. I can't speak highly enough of the staff, they had so much time and patience with all the children especially the restaurant staff. There was plenty for the children to do and loved the entertainment in the evening provided for them. The food was excellent, needless to say we are now on diets! The babysitting service worked well as we used them so we four adults could eat our evening meal after the children were asleep (we did take baby with us)! The room was great and the service excellent. There is nothing we can gripe about. None of us wanted the holiday to end and the boys couldn't understand why we had to come home. We would certainly recommend Sands as a great family holiday hotel.

Room Tip: Waking up to a sea view was great.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We just got back from a 4 day break and I can honestly say we can't wait to go back. My little girl had a brilliant time there is so much 4 kids I have never stayed somewhere which caters so much 4 them. Staff were very nice , food was excellent . Our room was very clean & decorated so well also had a gorgeous sea view ( ask 4 a open sea view when booking u won't be disappointed) I cannot fault this hotel & would recommend it to anyone. Thanks 4 a lovely break!!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Lucish
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Sands in Apartment B sea view. I have two small children (3 years and 10 months).

The best thing about this hotel is the staff, they really are excellent, very friendly and can't do enough for you. The food was also excellent at both the children's high tea and adults only dining. Oh and the baby listening...I could go on.

My 3 yo loved the soft play room and we all enjoyed the pool.

I think the only negative is the pushchairs are pretty "well loved". They really could do with being replaced or at least cleaned at the end of the day.

See you again!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank fgdg
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night stay and had a wonderful time.

A holiday with two kids under 4 is not always easy but there was plently to do at the Sands to keep them happy. The facilities are truly wonderful, particularly:
- Outdoor playground is well equiped
- free wetsuits and body boards!!
- grounds are beautiful
- swimming pool was clean
- indoor softplay was a great time filler
- childrens entertainment was great fun
- Rooms are very large and clean

I do have a few negatives though:
- kids meals are crazy expensive (£7 per child if they eat before 5:30, way more expensive later!)
- kids activity pack at meals was £2.95! Not sure how many they sold. A bit ludicrous when most places offer a few pencils and paper for free to at least keep the kids at the table
- kids tea at 4:30 is too early in the summer months. Found it impossible to get back in time when its the best part of the day.
- breakfast was poor. Little vegetarian options and no fresh fruit.
- our bed was very uncomfortable, the mattress needs urgent replacing. My husband slept on the single mattress in the kids room which was of a much better quality.

All in all, a lovely break. We will definately be back.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had a Calming Cocoon package as a gift. The massage was perfect, facial very relaxing and the spa a very peaceful place. The staff are so lovely and work hard to meet your every need. I had a very lovely lunch and glass of wine. The only thing I didn't like was that the swimming pool was busy with children and therefore not very relaxing. There is a lovely steam room but they got rid of the jacuzzi which was disappointing. On the whole I highly recommend this spa hotel and it is excellent value for money

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited as part of a larger group for a family reunion and after the last hotel I had stayed at, the Sands Resort was a welcome change. First thing you notice is the view, most of the rooms have an unobstructed view of the ocean. We stayed in June and the sun didn't go down until after 10 pm (with light visible over the horizon until after 11, unreal!). The room I stayed in (comfort suite) was designed for kids; the first room had two twin beds and a crib as well as a TV and DVD. The master bedroom had a king-size bed and a sitting area with a tremendous view (it also had a TV and DVD as well). As this is a resort hotel and people might want to bring extra equipment, the room had six large shelves, each large enough to hold a large suitcase or other bulky items. There was also a tea service and small fridge. One of the few issues I had was that the sun was baking the windows and the heater was set on 25 degrees C (and I couldn't figure out how to turn it down) but with the cool sea air and included fans it wasn't a problem. The bathroom was nice and included a towel warmer but the bath tub had a glass partition that allowed more water on the floor than I would like but again, it was a minor problem.

The hotel has FREE Wi-Fi, which was a welcome change considering the last hotel I stayed at charged 10 Pounds per day. Unfortunately the transmitters needed some upgrading and new installations as the signal didn't work all that well in my room and didn't work at all in the hotel's restaurant. On several occasions I saw a member of my group on her iPad in the lobby because her part of the hotel didn't have Wi-Fi. As this hotel is very focused on their guests needs, I hope they correct this in the future. As an overseas traveler my phone didn't have good reception in the area so Wi-Fi was all the more important. Thankfully they also provide Ethernet ports in the rooms and I now travel with a portable Wi-Fi router (the size of a flash drive) for situations like this.

The breakfast was excellent. I do not know the pricing or if it's included as my trip was part of a package. "The Full English" was provided as well as cereals, fruits and juice. The toasters were a little weird to operate as you had to raise a knob to lower the bread AND turn a dial or you didn't get your toast (and don't leave it because it doesn't pop up unless you push down that knob again). Dinner in the hotel was also tasty but I wish there was a little more focus on local dishes considering it was a fixed menu. Don't get me wrong, salmon with soy noodles and chili was nice but if I'm visiting Cornwall I'd like a little more local fare. I suppose people who live in the region might want some variety as well so I'd suggest there be at least one Cornish / English dish available on the menu each night.

The hotel is on the outskirts of Newquay, which has its advantages and disadvantages. It was very quiet and the view is beautiful but it was also quite far away from any businesses like restaurants or supermarkets if you need supplies and you are visiting without a car (as I was).

As I have extended family who live in Cornwall, I'm sure I'll be back again and when I do I'll be sure to look up the Sands Resort Hotel and Spa. -- But please fix that Wi-Fi. :-)

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face the ocean but one person in my group was facing inland. If the ocean view is...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#12 of 37 in Newquay

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!