I stayed at Sands with my husband and children aged 11 and 8 for a week in July. The weather was not great, however there were lots of organised activities for the children and these were free for our children's age group! We found ourselves dumped in favour of 'club' each evening, however there were some quality groups on in the evening for adults. We stayed in a 'contemporary suite' which I have to say was the biggest room we have stayed in as a family of 4. Very clean and modern in design with a Queen sized bed for the adults, a modern bathroom and a separate sleeping area for the kids. Room was well equipped with iron and board, DVD players and Sony Playstation 2, flat screen T.V. and a fridge which is a godsend with young children. Food was nice, not exceptional, but tasty and good value for money, breakfasts exceeded expectation as although advertised as 3 hot items per day there were always 5 hot items to choose from. Children's teas offered more than the obligatory fish fingers and nuggets! Free wet suit hire, board hire, even bucket and spades and wind breakers was a really nice touch. Location is excellent for exploring, but beware very windy as on a cliff top, but once on the beautiful beaches you are more sheltered. I agree with other reviewers that the staff at Sands make the experience special, they all seemed happy to be there. We moved on to our usual hotel in Torquay after Sands and the contrast couldn't have been more marked with rude, complacent staff, we would return to Sands because we were made to feel welcome, we would not return to Torquay! One thing I cannot understand is the rates people have quoted, we paid a lot more than 168 per night, maybe that was because the room was refurbished? I did look at the pool suites but they were not a patch on the contemporary rooms and I would prefer to pay extra for the comfort. Overall a good experience, not sure if we will go again because we did a lot in the area and may like to move on. However, would certainly recommend Sands to families with young children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa overlooks the Atlantic ocean to the west and countryside to the east. The hotel offers a range of free sports facilities and children's clubs as well as a beauty spa, two pools and a gym. Most suites have separate sleeping areas for children and are in a contemporary design. A free baby listening service is also available.In 2016 Sands Resort Hotel & Spa was voted to be amongst the Best 10 Family Hotels in the UK ranking 5th in the TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Cancelon and Ebookers so you can book your Sands Resort Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands Hotel Newquay
- Sands Resort Hotel And Spa
- Sands Hotel Porth
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa Newquay, Cornwall