We stayed at Sands over the October half term with our 3 children and my parents.
Its a great location with views over the sea and countryside. There is a road between the hotel and the cliff, but the view out to sea where the sun set each night was so good we didn't really notice the road.
We had a contemporary suite which was modern and spacious with 2 tv's a playstation and a dvd player. My parents had a sea view double which had an extra bed so we could unload a child to granny each night. We had broadband in our room for free but it was also available in the public areas downstairs at no extra charge which allowed our teenager to keep in touch with the "real" world without us having to fork out money every 5 minutes for pay as you use connection.
We opted for the half board and were really pleased with the dinner with 3 excellent courses each night for £10. The dining room staff were very accommodating and managed to come up with alternative dishes for our fussy eater child. Some evenings the kids took early tea then vanished off with new friends to club so the adults could have more relaxed meal. The wine list was great with a great range of wines under £14... we had a different couple of wines each night and still didn't try them all.
The hotel has loads of play areas and games for the family to get competitive and the indoor pool was warm and clean.
My wife and mum relaxed at the hotels beauty spa whilst dad and I lost golf balls on the 9 hole course and the kids tried to kill each other on the assault course.
Sands is close to the beach and just a few minutes drive from watergate where we had a great celiibratory lunch at Jamie Olivers restaurant on the beach. The weather was also good enough for a cycle ride to Padstow where we tucked in to Rick Steins fish and chips.
It was our first trip to Cornwall and our first stay at Sands and I would whole heartedly recommend both the county and the hotel. Its not posh but with its facilities and rooms, great food and some of the most friendly staff I have ever met, it is the ideal location for a family looking for fun, sports, relaxation at a reasonable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa overlooks the Atlantic ocean to the west and countryside to the east. The hotel offers a range of free sports facilities and children's clubs as well as a beauty spa, two pools and a gym. Most suites have separate sleeping areas for children and are in a contemporary design. A free baby listening service is also available.In 2016 Sands Resort Hotel & Spa was voted to be amongst the Best 10 Family Hotels in the UK ranking 5th in the TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Sands Resort Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands Hotel Newquay
- Sands Resort Hotel And Spa
- Sands Hotel Porth
- Sands Resort Hotel & Spa Newquay, Cornwall