“Don't be hoodwinked by good reviews”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 16 September 2010

As part of a tour around the south of England , my husband and I decided to spend two nights in Newquay. En route from Brighton I phoned the Sands and was told that there were rooms available. I gave my credit card details and happily agreed to the £128 per room per night rate as the pleasant chap on the other end of the phone assured me that it was a quiet, truly luxury hotel.
Having just spent the previous night at the Grand in Brighton (a proper 4 star hotel), we were disappointed from the moment we walked in to the tacky, plastic and grubby reception. It got worse...
The receptionist handed us the room key and sent us to carry our luggage down the corridors and up the staircases (past empty beer glasses and dead flies on a dusty windowsill) to a dismal, (albeit family) room with the filthiest balcony I have ever seen. I felt positively sick and my husband's expression was enough for me to say, 'no way am I staying at this dump'.
So here we are in the middle of Newquay with nowhere to stay, having forked out £256 for two nights and now the receptionist says we must pay for two-thirds of the price of the first night. Of course I was livid and told them so. But I could not get out of that place quick enough.
This is not a luxury hotel, in any sense of the word. It is a poor relation to the Butlins holiday camp of the sixties and I cannot believe how anyone could possibly think of it as 'five star' - if it scored two stars I would be surprised. Everything about this place is completely naff . And yet, on Trip Advisor, the Sands gets fabulous reviews, which is why I booked it in the first place, so beware readers and be aware! Don't be hoodwinked.
I always check out Trip Advisor and this is the first time I have been completely misled.
In fairness, the manager did send me a very apologetic email and promised to refund what I paid in full, which is just as well as we would not have let the matter rest.
So where did we stay in the end?
We headed for the Headlands Hotel and it was just perfect - a real hotel with real service and much worth the small extra we paid.
It makes me wonder who are these people who praise the Sands? Have they no standards?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TrishTelAviv
SandsResort, Owner at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

I don't normally respond to reviews from guests but in this case the frankly rude comments about the other reviewers merits a response.

I do believe that in their eyes we were their hotel nightmare, but do not agree that the hotel was at fault. I beleive they picked completely the wrong hotel for their needs.

They came to us from the 4 star Grand Hotel in Brighton which they loved. I have taken a look at the website which shows a traditional 4 star hotel, which if like this couple is your cup of tea then would be perfect for you. I urge you to take a look, read the reviews, look at the pictures and you might begin to see where the problem lies.

Why they then chose to book a stay at Sands, a 3 star resort hotel that has a website that clearly shows us to be a family resort, with family facilities and a contemporary design, is a mystery to me. They said they read our reviews, did they miss the fact that they were 95% from families? When they asked to check out the ONLY complaint they made was that there were too many children about . As they arrived late afternoon with chidrens teas starting and the pool full of happy families there was little we could do to turn our busy family resort into a 4 star traditional hotel.

The apology that I made was not for the hotel or the children in it, but that it took us 24 hours to refund their card. On the very odd occasion that a guest finds that we really arent the hotel for them we refund all their money and let them find something better suited. In their case they went to The Headland which is another traditional 4 star Hotel, its a really great hotel completely unlike Sands in style and I'm sure they would have had a great stay there. The Headland are next to us on the Trip Advisor website, knowing they wanted 4 star luxury I can't conceive why they didnt book there in the first place, I would have in their position.

Would my staff have described us as "a truly luxury hotel that was quiet", no of course not. We do families and young couples we don't do luxury and our guests and their children don't do quiet. Indeed we have an Honesty policy on our site that points out that we aren't luxury we offer good value holdays for families, We can't do more than that.

On a couple of accuracy issues, I have checked our reception area which is clean, certainly not grubby and doesnt have a single piece of plastic (Other than the Barnardos collection box) . I have also checked the coridoors where I did find some glasses put out by guests (Got to admit I do that when I stay at hotels) and 1 dead fly who had come to a happy end in the remains of the house red wine. The coridoors are cleared every hour by porters. I checked the balcony which did indeed have some cobwebs and a few leaves on it which we should have cleaned before they checked in.

To summarise I do think this couple picked the wrong hotel, despite all the signals they should have picked up from our website and the trip advisor reviews. What they wanted we most certainly were not.

Does that give them the right to describe every element of my hotel as "Naff" and suggest that my guests have "no standards". No it doesn't, that is just ill considered and rude, and is probably a missuse of the Trip Advisor forum.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We are a full time working couple with a teenage girl just receiving her GCSE results and what we needed was a pampered weeks break as a reward for a hard year. I booked a last minute Gap filler at the Sands Resort and we were not disappointed. In fact our visit excelled all of our expectations. The contemporary suite was brilliant over looking a sea view and fabulous sun sets. The food was excellent. The staff even more so, nothing was too much trouble, they greeted you as though they already knew you, which put my daughter straight at ease. The website does not do justice to their facilities, the outside pool area and gardens are relaxing and peaceful. However, you can play tennis, go to the gym, spa and enjoy the coastal walks on your doorstep. The facilities for young families are a godsend. Thank you for a lovely relaxing holiday.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Amazing resort, fantastic food, clean comfotable spacious room, lovely staff, everything you need for the beach including wetsuits and boards,buckets and spades available at the surf shack free of charge, nothing was too much trouble for them, facilities for babies and toddlers was the best ever Thank you for one of the best holidays we have had.
If you have children it is one of the best resorts you could ever visit and yet its also great for couples and the location is great.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We booked based on other reviews & found them to be spot on. The hotel was clean, well maintained & comfortable in a modern way. They are honest about being a 3 star but this is one of the best 3 stars I have ever stayed in. The food was excellent, very tasty but also felt healthy & the children's meals were excellent - a different menu every night. The rooms are clean, bright, spacious & thoughtfully kitted out. The setting is perfect, up the hill away from Newquay & above one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen - Whipsiderry beach - not to be missed. For us the real bonus was the incredibly helpful staff & the attention to detail, nothing fell below our expectations & most were exceeded. Next year we will barely have to bring any toys/sports kit as everything is provided, right down to buckets & spades. Its how holiday companies like Mark Warner SHOULD be! You can tell its a family run hotel & they really do care about their guests. We will definitely go again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Sands is a family resort hotel. If you have young children, then you should really consider a stay here. If you don't have children, then I suspect somewhere else might be more appropriate for you.

Our rooms were huge: a large master room with massive bed, lounge, twin room for the children and two en suites. All had sea views (the sea is 100 yards away, across the road). They thought of everything: high chairs, cots, microwave and fridge in the room, safety plug protectors, the rooms were even wired up to a baby listening system (one person behind the desk was dedicated to listening to this).

Also important to us: the food was first rate. My wife was worried the children's food might be fish fingers etc and chips, but nothing like that in sight - everything home made, like lasagne or noodles following by home made rice pudding. The adult food also excellent, lots of local things to choose, all well cooked, and there was a good choice of wines with sensible price tags.

Like all hotels, it isn't perfect. We were disappointed to find the internet didn't extend to our room, and that the Sunday paper we had pre-booked didn't turn up. Also the pillows were a bit like sandbags! But frankly all that disappeared into insignificance, with the friendliness of the staff and their eagerness to fix things and ensure you have a good break.

We were pleasantly surprised to find we could borrow beach stuff (windbreaks for example) and buggies - and no charge - and the parking spaces were really wide - helpful when unloading little children.

The views across the sea were stunning, and we loved watching the surfers in the sunsets. Porth beach is less than a ten min walk away and is lovely. Very easy to see how this hotel scores so highly on Trip Advisor. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Funtraveller007
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My wife and I and our ten year old son have now been to Sands ten times since 2003 and we never tire of the place. The location is perfect, overlooking the sea and far enough away from Newquay to be peaceful.
We stayed in a pool suite which is very quiet and gives good views of the surrounding countryside. The room is comfortable and the bathrooms have recently been refurbished.
There is so much to do that the weather never bothers us, (it wasn't particularly good this year). Our son spends the morning in the O zone club whilst we have a game of golf on the 9 hole course. The indoor swimming pool is very warm and on a few occasions we had the pool to ourselves.
The food in the restaurant is excellent both for the children's early tea and the evening meal.
The friendly staff, the excellent service and the relaxed atmosphere are the main reasons that we return year after year.
We have already booked for next year and are counting the days until we return.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

This year was our sixth visit to Sands and it gets better every year. Perfect for a family holiday and we will definitely be returning. The rooms are huge and I love the refurbished bathrooms. The facilities are regularly upgraded and the children love the evening club, which is free from age 7 upwards. This gives the parents a chance to dine alone if they wish to. The food is very good and the staff are helpful and friendly. There is plenty to do outside the hotel too, even if the weather is poor. Yes it is a bit expensive in August – but look what you get for your money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#14 of 37 in Newquay

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!