“Sands is a perfect place for a family holiday”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Sands is a perfect place for a family holiday”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

With the kids clubs, organised childrens activities and the adult only dining, everything is geared up for a holiday for all the familty to enjoy and relax. The location opposite the beach is great for the kids and if the weather is not ideal, there is always the indoor swimming pool and games room. The food is excellent and the staff extremely helpful. I would strongly recommend this hotel to any family.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Have just returned from a 4 night New Year break at Sands. Can't recommend it highly enough. Rooms very clean and spacious, food was faultless and plentiful (especially New Years Eve Buffett!) Not once did our two children, aged 4 and 8, complain they were bored. There was so much great entertainment laid on. The childrens clubs were excellent. The staff were brilliant, so friendly that it really helped to make the holiday. This break had a little something for all of us. Children enjoyed the kids club and this gave my husband a chance to go and play golf while I was able to have a relaxing treatment at their in-house spa. Fabulous - keep up the good work Sands!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I read a review of Sands in June of last year whilst staying in another "Family Friendly" hotel in Dorset. It looked promising, and the price was quite literally half of what I was paying at the time. As a single Mum of two aged 10 and 1, and with a full-time job, I look forward to having a break in order to spend some proper time with the kids, and to have a bit of a recharge. My toddler son has a sensory disorder, which leads to some difficult and extreme behaviour at times, and so many hotels are just not suitable for us, however, looking at Sands in more detail, it certainly seemed worthy of a go.
I booked the three of us into a 4 night New Year's houseparty.
Having found flights to Newquay ( toddler does not do car journeys of anything over an hour) it was clear that we were going to arrive 4 hours before check-in, so I rang Sands to ask if it would be possible to leave the suitcase whilst we did some exploring. When we arrived, we found that they had got our room ready early so that we could check in anyway - I was impressed. Even more surprising was their response to the problem that the airline had lost our suitcase. The manager arrived at our door and offered to drive us into town so that we could pick up the bits and pieces (pyjamas, toothbrushes etc) that we would be needing. Not only did he drive us in, but he pointed out where all the various shops were and made sure that we were able to get everything that we needed.
I have never received encountered such a friendly and welcoming start to any hotel stay, either here or abroad.
Once we has settled in it became clear that my daughter was going to have a marvellous time, as she was able to drop into O-Zone as and when she felt like it, to play games and "hang out" with other kids her own age. The facilities are fantastic with plenty of space for the adults to be quiet whilst the kids can behave as kids. The creche was superb, and my son was kept totally occupied and content for a couple of hours every morning, whilst I could have a coffee and go through the newspaper. Nothing was too much trouble here. Picnic lunches were provided (and lasted at least two days!) I was able to borrow an all-terrain buggy for walks across the cliff tops, The fabulous night-porter was always happy to bring me coffee when my son decided that he wanted to get up and start running about at 5 every morning, and even let him "help" with his chores such as hoovering, which was exceedingly popular.
The food was always beautifully prepared, and with the baby-listening service I was able to enjoy a grown-up dinner with my daughter every evening. On the one night when my son wouldn't settle, the restaurant took our dinner order over the phone, and a 4 course meal, together with soft drinks and a bottle of wine appeared at our bedroom door, at no extra charge.
Without exception, I believe every single member of staff at Sands is worthy of a commendation. For the very first time in nearly two years, I have returned from a break, feeling that I have actually had a break, and I am absolutely sure to return to Sands in the very near future.
I could not recommend it more highly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BekasMum
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We stayed at Sands Resort for a four day package over New Year. We didn't want to go home after the 4 days as we had such an amazing time. The hotel is just down the road from Watergate Bay, one of our favourite places in the world so we spent New Years Eve sat on the beach there. There was non stop childrens clubs, activities and entertainment inlcuding a Sciba diving lesson, teashirt and pottery painting. There were also great facilities incuding an indoor pool and lots of outdoor sports and play areas. There was a great choice of flexible dinner options which allowed the children to have dinner earlier or later with us. This worked really well for us and the children loved going to the clubs while we had a relaxed dinner and a drink.

The food was delicious, every member of staff from the waiters, childcare to lady that clean our room was incredibly helpful and friendly. We also had a great room with an ajoining childrens room and the bed was very comfy. We can't wait to go back

Bristol, UK
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I recently travelled to the sands for a wedding and was blown away by the whole weekend, from the moment we arrived the staff couldn’t do enough for you and there was a real person touch to whole hotel. The hotel rooms are excellent, really spacious and very clean, the facilities are great and the food was fantastic. The wedding we travelled down for went off without a hitch and the staff and the hotel really took pride in making sure all the guests were looked after while making the Bride and Grooms day just amazing – they really couldn’t do enough for the whole party. Having stayed in other hotels in Newquay I would say that the Sands is right up there in terms of quality and certainly better value than most others – we went to Watergate bay the day after and were shocked at how much more expensive the cost of their food and drink prices compared to the Sands! I would definitely recommend the Sands to anyone who wants a luxury hotel and doesn’t want to pay through the nose for it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Fantastic service from the staff, excellent food. A perfect wedding venue. The only place in England where the sun shone and snow didn't lay. What a perfect place for a romantic wedding where the staff provided excellent non stop service. Highly recommend this resort, it was wonderful and Leanne the Wedding planner thought of everything and made a wonderful day memorable with her attention to the many details a wedding encompases. Her service to all was memorable and appreciated.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2010

A group of 40 of us had our Christmas Party at the Sands on Friday 10th December - there was NOTHING to complain about. The food was hot, delicious and plenty of it! The staff could not be more helpful, the food was served quickly with everyone having what they ordered, wine and drinks were served on time with the food. The disco entertainment was very good - lots of atmosphere and everyone joining in and enjoying themselves although there were quieter areas around the hotel for those not wanting to boogie! Everyone from our group commented on how good the evening was and would recommend the Christmas Party nights at the Sands to anyone.

Those of us that stayed the night had lovely rooms again with excellent service - when we asked for help with the heating a member staff came to the room within a couple of minutes and was happy to help us. Breakfast the next morning was, again, delicious no complaints - hot, plentiful and varied.

We could not rate the Sands Hotel any higher.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!