“A Hotel that needs serious improvement”
Review of Pendeen Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Pendeen Hotel
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A Hotel that needs serious improvement”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed at the Pendeen for 3 nights in June as part of a Travelsmith deal. Their sister Hotel is the Porth Veor Manor 200 yards away. Sadly, our review contains more bad than good criticism. We raised each item with hotel staff on departure, to which their response was - 'Yes, we know about that'.

On arrival and after parking our expensive car in a cramped car park, we were greeted at the door by hotel staff. My husband said he had noticed a bad smell coming through the door, but did not say anything to me to cause disappointment. Whilst I was checking in, he had located a different smell which was distinctively that of cat pee on the hall carpet by the stairs.

We were taken to our room (room 5) which was small and very warm. The bedroom had one window with an opening of about 2ft square. He thought the room was very warm even, with the window fully open and a radiator turned off. My husband then told me that the (small) bathroom floor was hot from pipes underneath and there was also a very high level of radiant heat coming from a bedroom partition wall. Behind the wall (which contained electrical mains wiring) was a locked cupboard which we assumed contained heating pipes, or some kind of boiler flue which was heating up our bedroom wall. We had to leave the window open all the time, bringing in traffic noise and early morning noise from seagulls.

Because our room was so small we did not want to spend time there and went to find the hotel bar and lounge advertised in the brochure. On our first day, the lounge measuring some 4M X 2M had laundry in blue bags piled high on the settee. There was a bar in a larger room, but the door was kept locked and we never saw it open. I did manage to visit the lounge a day later. There was a bowl of cat food on the floor and the cat would occupy a sofa as if by right.

Throughout our short stay, the hotel common areas and landing were hot, smelly and lacked fresh air ventilation.

Room 5 seemed to have its radiator wired to the toilet flushing in another room, because when a toilet was flushed it woke us up! The bed was comfortable but space in the en-suite was so restricted that my husband being a little larger than me, found the toilet sitting space very restricted. We were told that if we had complained about the room we could have been offered an alternative. That seems to be the way problems at the Pendeen are managed, although an immediate solution for the bad smells would be hard to find.

The breakfasts and table service provided at the Pendeen were good, although my husband was politely 'reprimanded' on 'Health & safety Grounds' for helping himself to coffee from the perkolator!

Overall, this was a bad experience for us and we would not rely on brochure descriptions for other Travelsmith hotels as a result of our visit. The Pendeen has a Hotel registration and a visitor might expect some reasonable common space - a comfortable lounge, clean and odourless to read a newspaper. The Hotel seemed 'tired' and smelly with good examples of outdated Artex plastered walls and ceilings in need of some redecoration. Perhaps the Pendeen gets its Hotel status from the large number of rooms it offers and ticks all the registration boxes. We have stayed in Travel Lodges, Premier Inns and guest houses with superior facilities in the budget hotel category and shall not choose a Travelsmith hotel again.

We would not recommend the Pendeen Hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Do not book online in advance from the brochure description unless you can get money back on arriva...
3 Thank Voxmagna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was a revisit. Nothing changed since the first. We stayed again 3 nights as part of a promotion by the Travelsmith Group.
The premises are not inviting at all. This starts with the lookout for the parking space. There are not enough spaces available. The way up to the premises is uneven and it looks, as if
the property is damaged and ready for sell off. The cat wee smell is getting stronger once you enter the main door. The Reception room for guests is blocked by the cat or washing sacks.
Everything inside looks very tired and dated - but the smell......
Rooms was bright and painted, not perfectly, just done. Interior is dated and the quality of
the bath or the bed is low. The bed was so painful, that my partner had visible marks on the skin, from sleeping on the worn out matress. Yes, they tried to keepl it clean - they managed to a certain extend. The seaview was disturbed by dirty windows and seagull droppings on glass.
Breakfast was hot at the beginning, but this changed on the next servings. The Engl. Breakfast we ordered was tasty and plentyful. The service was efficient and quick. There was no Hotel service as such. On one occation we were allowed , after asking for it - a drink. Then it was locked up again. I would not give the premises a Hotel Status.
Some of my points can be resolved quickly - but it needs attention very soon.. None of the other guests looked exited either.
It could be such a lovely place in a very good location - with a bit more care and professionalism. Maybe someone at Travelsmith remembers, that the first impression counts....
A hotel accomodation combined with a meal in a seperate location don't work , means a fantastic meal elsewhere , can't eleminate the hotel stay impressions.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are rare, but worth the upgrade. Can be loud, because of door slamming. Try the beds...
1 Thank Karl8853

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This hotel is in a lovely location, over the road from the beach and within walking distance to the main town and beaches of Newquay. Parking was not a problem, the hotel was clean and welcoming, the hotel cat was lovely and made the place homely. Our room was very clean, cleaned each day, the shower was good, tea and coffee facilities in room, nice comfy bed.We only suffered from one noise disturbance, this was due to other guests inability to close the doors quietly late at night (slamming doors at gone midnight seems odd to me). Breakfast was very nice, good choice and excellent service. All in all a very nice hotel in a nice location for a cheap break.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from stairwell
1 Thank Debbie M
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife & I stayed at the Pendeen 2nd-5th June 2012 (room No 11). We found the hotel to be clean , quiet & friendly. We paid a total of £147 for 3x nights which included double a room with en-suite- the price included a full english breakfast.
The hotel is a very short walk to Porth Beach but we found it easy to walk almost anywhere in the closer Newquay vicinity. The coastal path is useful for when the tide is in.
The Hotel is not at the top-end of the market but is well worth the small budget.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel which has a lovely location near to Porth beach. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was extremely plentiful, piping hot and very well cooked and was served in a clean and pleasant dining area. The waitress was very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff we met. The car park is not very large for the size of hotel and if it were full I could imagine it would be very hard to manoeuvre in and out of. The rooms were very clean, being serviced regularly but, I am sorry to report, very dated. Our shower was just a hose attachment pushed onto the bath taps so power was weak. Although watching TV on holiday should not be a high priority it would have been nice to have a choice of more than 5 weak channels with no text while relaxing in bed at the end of a hectic day. The location and staff at this hotel made our stay a very pleasant one but the owners really need to refurbish the bedrooms to attract higher ratings, such a shame.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Maidstone
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed at the Pendeen Hotel for 3 nights after booking through laterooms.com. Firstly we were greeted by the bad smell of the downstairs toilets mixed with what I can only describe as a deep fried chip pan smell from the kitchen and cats wee, it was that pungent that it took your beath away. It was so bad that we didn't attempt the breakfast any mornings as didn't feel the kitchen was very clean and put us off.

The owner seemed friendly and took us to our room which was like a sauna, on first impression I was pretty happy with the room although dated but what can you expect for the price, until my girlfriend pointed out that there was no shower, the bracket was there but nothing else. Well there was no way I was going to fill a bath up every morning, I wanted a shower, in this day and age what hotel doesn't supply a shower? So we spoke to the owner and swapped for a bedroom that did have a shower, well I will use that term loosely, literally 2 streams of water came out of the shower head there was no water pressure at all and then after a couple of minutes it Intermittently turned on and off continually. I have short hair and had a job rinsing shampoo out of it there was that little water coming out!!

The parking was very poorly laid out and cars had to block each other in to fill the spaces which was irritating. This hotel is in bad need of a update and how the owner can give a self rating of 3 stars is beyond me when a shower isn't supplied and the shower that was there was useless.

I very rarely complain about hotels and was not expecting the Ritz for £39 a night and my expectations were very low for the money. But as for the revolting smell, poor parking, zero shower, tiny bathroom I would not recommend this hotel. It's is over priced, over self rated and very poor indeed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kev579
London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the hotel and was on overall very happy.

+ Room was fresh and clean (and I am a fussy one!), bedding and linen also, lovely to use, very happy with mattress.
+ Staff was lovely.
+ Breakfast was plentiful and very tasty.

- Plumbing. It wouldn't put me off from coming back (even though I would think twice if it was in hot weather because of downstairs drain smell) but would stop me from recommending the hotel.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms better.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple