“Poor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
The Metro Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #90 of 111 Newquay B&B and Inns
coventry
“Poor”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

It always disappoints me when I'm forced to write a negative review, as I would prefer to say nothing at all. There are a couple of positive notes so I'll begin with those: the lady at reception is very pleasant and helpful; the breakfast area is available for use all day so is a useful place to sit and have a final beer/wine and a chat, and it’s only fifteen minutes walk into Newquey. That I’m afraid is it. I won’t complain about not having ‘ensuite’ since I was made aware of it at the time of booking; however the two rooms were not as close as described. The accommodation is furnished in an attempt at a modern style, but is done so poorly, with the consequence that everything is cheap and nasty: from the silver and metal shelves in the bedroom which are presumably a take on a wardrobe and chest, to the black and white metal legged tables and chairs in the kitchen. There are a lot of rooms in what is a relatively modest sized building, so our room was small,(as surely are the others) had paper thin walls, and meant we were either kept awake or woken by the two or three sets of children in the building. Breakfast was the like of which I have never experienced, nor wish to again. I’m sure that the mini boxes of cornflakes were perfectly acceptable, and having not tried them will give the benefit to. However, cheap plastic-pack supermarket croissant; plastic boxes of supermarket mini muffins; packet crumpets; and sliced white bread left in its wrapper, do not constitute a ‘quality continental breakfast’. The ‘all you can eat’ idea may well appeal if on a budget, but this establishment does not charge budget prices. Even with a substantial online discount this was 3-4 star cost at 1 star standard.

8 Thank mozwold
samcoNewquay, Front Office Manager at The Metro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Having just read your review of The Metro I would firstly like to apologise if your stay here was not what you expected. However, I do feel that some of your comments need addressing.

The room that you chose is not "small" it is a standard sized room, and given the fact that you did not see any of the other rooms during your stay here, it is unfair to make an assumption that they are all "small"..........Our rooms vary in size, some sleep 2 people, some sleep 3, some sleep 4/5.

Our breakfast room gets a lot of use - at full capacity we have 45 people to feed. For this reason our tables and chairs need to be durable and easy to clean in order to ensure that proper hygiene standards are met. They were chosen for a purpose and they serve that purpose well. We personally think that they look nice and that they complement our dining area. I feel that your "cheap and nasty" comment is a little harsh although you are of course, entitled to your opinion.

Regarding breakfast - our concept is simple. Yoghurts, fresh fruit, toast, crumpets, croissants, orange juice, pain au chocolate and various preserves. Our guests have a 3 hour window for breakfast and we get fantastic feedback both for the concept and the quality of our breakfast. All of our cereals are brand named (Kelloggs/weetabix etc) and are individually boxed.

Regarding packaging, unless we were to make all of our products ourselves, we need to buy them in. Again, without knowing who are supplier/s are you are making an assumption about their quality. If you had actually tried the breakfast items for yourself, maybe your review would have been more positive?

We work really hard here behind the scenes to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay (you did pick up on the friendliness of the staff) and it is always a disappointment to receive a bad review. Whilst we take every comment/criticism on board, I feel that on this occasion you have written a rather scathing review of what is actually, a well run, value for money bed and breakfast. The majority of our guests have an enjoyable stay which usually results in a positive review of our premises. Again, I can only apologise if this wasn't the case for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My partner and 4 year old son stayed here over the bank holiday and it was pretty good. From the outside did look slightly tatty but inside was quite clean and fresh. Our room was just right. There is a £3 per day parking charge for use of the car park which I feel should of been included. It is a 10 minute walk to the beach but we didn't mind as it was peaceful. Breakfast was self service toast, cereal and croissants with a brilliant coffee machine. Can struggle to find a table to sit if not timed right. Very pleasant and helpful staff.

Would use again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
samcoNewquay, Front Office Manager at The Metro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Many thanks for your review - it is always nice to hear positive feedback from our guests.

Just to explain our parking policy though, so that you and other guests are aware for future stays...
We have more rooms here than parking spaces and so to ensure that a parking space is available if required, we ask all of our guests to pre-book a space in advance of their stay. We have to charge to do this in order to make it fair. Unless parking is pre-booked it is not guaranteed and is allocated on a "first-come, first served basis" upon arrival.

Hope that this helps! It is of course much cheaper to park on-site than to park in town - we also have CCTV footage of our car-park for added security.
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

booked late had loads of help from manage good contental brecfast was grand as as much as you could eat we enjoyed it so much we exstended our stay a further 2 nights . you can walk to town form this hotel ,only about 10-15 min and to behonest you dont really remember it on the way back lol . good value for money when i retern to newquay I will defo be coming back to this B and B / hotel

Room Tip: we stayed in 17
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed your stay guys! It was a pleasure and we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in town.
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The hotel staff in particular Denise was very helpful with information.
Regarding the hotel, slightly higher priced for what you get; you don't get traditional english breakfast and you have to pay extra for parking everynight.

The rooms are very basic, pics on website look great but in reality more basic.
But where we fault the metro was, they had a big insect problems - mosqitos but on my last night I kept waking up; woke up around 5.30am got bitten a bed bug on my elbow.

I reported it to the manager Sam, he was sure it wasn't a bed bug, so I provided him with the pictures I took of the bed bug, but still he was refusing to accept it, so much so he indirectly said that I could of brought this with me and say here's a bed bug I found; that really annoyed the hell out me. I got bitten by a nasty parasite and got told its yours. Not very customer facing, compared to Denise who if was here would of dealt with it better.

2 Thank ZafranWindsor
Bristol
Reviewed 10 August 2012

When you first pull up outside The Metro, you are likely to feel devastated. The place is basically a youth hostel, thoroughly grotty and some distance from civilisation. Within 10 minutes of your stay, you are likely to want a refund immediately, but don't bother asking-this is a mickey mouse set up which does not have a 'refund policy'. Travel lodge etc would be a far cheaper and more luxurious option-look anywhere else but here!

7 Thank Robert B
samcoNewquay, Front Office Manager at The Metro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
With regards to your "review" of our Bed and breakfast I would like to clarify the following points:

I checked you into your room and the balance was paid without comment upon your arrival. Had there been any issues with your room I would have happily moved you both - however, you passed me several times throughout the afternoon without mentioning any issues/or complaints.

You then checked out the following the following morning due to "an emergency". Again, there was no mention that you were unhappy with any aspect of your stay. You did enquire about a refund but were told politely that this wouldn't be possible as the reason that your holiday was being cut short was due to your own circumstances changing.

We then received an e-mail requesting a refund because of your "unpleasant" stay which listed various issues that you were unhappy with...again, a refund was requested. Given that we let this room on a regular basis without complaint, and also given that you didn't actually mention any issues whilst you were here, we declined. It is our opinion that your holiday was cut short unexpectedly, (as you claimed) and that you expected us to compensate you for this unforseen occurrence, by blaming your early departure on our "shortcomings".

If we are at fault we do our utmost to correct things. However, on this occasion this is definitely not the case. Therefore we will be standing by our decision.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My partner and I were appalled and disappointed with the Metro and made our excuses to leave as quickly as possible. The main reasons to avoid this 'bed and breakfast' are as follows:

-You WILL be asked to pay a non refundable deposit before your arrival and WILL be asked to pay upfront before even seeing your room.
-Should you require a refund, as we did, you WILL be told that there is 'no chance', despite any valid reasons.
-The '3 star bed and breakfast' is more like a youth hostel; small rooms, damp conditions and unattractive decor.
-The website is totally misleading and displays images of 'modern' bedrooms and decor-neither of whch we experienced when staying in a damp, small room with no window.
- There were stains in the room and bathroom and the 'skylight' was riddled with dust and dead moquitoes.
-The Metro is quite a distance from the main town-not 15 minutes as stated on the website.
-When we expressed these concerns via email, we received an arrogant and sarcastic response which indicated that the managers did not take our concerns seriously-after all, they had taken our money upfront so why would they think twice bout offering us a refund?

All in all, a complete waste of time which left us feeling like we had a wasted journey and had been completely conned! Avoid at all costs!

4 Thank Charlie C
samcoNewquay, Owner at The Metro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
These guests booked what we clearly advertise as as our budget double room and in the room description it states it is ideally suited to travelers on a budget and has a skylight instead of a window. Under no circumstances would they have been told we do not give refunds under any circumstances and we take every review on this site seriously. If a guest can demonstrate that our room was at fault or not as described then that would be a valid reason for a refund. In this case the customer did neither. We are graded by Visit Cornwall to a set standard and all our rooms meet the standards required by that organisation so comments re size are subjective. In fact we have been advised that if we offered a cooked breakfast we would easily be graded as a 4 star. I have been in the hotel trade for over 25 years and have always asked for a deposit to be paid at the time of booking and on our website and the confirmation letter it again clearly states that payment is due on arrival. If these terms were not to this customers liking he should not have booked to stay with us. I suspect this situation has occurred because the room description was not read before the booking was made hence the disapointment on arrival.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

After trawling the web for many hours trying to find somewhere that accomodates 2 adults and 3 children - all in 1 room/suite, I found the METRO. The date we wanted was available so we reserved a family room. Booking was very easy; their website is simple to use. My eldest child was a little apprehensive, especially as we got into Newquay, thinking we would be staying in a 'house that has rooms for rent'. How wrong he was! The METRO is a purpose built property - probably closer to being a small motel than a bed and breakfast. There is a fair amount of parking space on the drive in front - booking is definitely advisable if the weather picks up!

Our receptionist on arrival was lovely; friendly and helpful and made us feel really welcome. I even got a voicemail message on my mobile with instructions on self check in just in case we arrived after reception closed at 9pm ( We drove down from London visited The National Seal Sanctuary at Helston, Gweek AND Lizard Point before going to Newquay so arrived well into the evening! ) Our room ( ROOM 1) was spacious, airy, comfortable and clean. The ONLY negative was that the 2 electrical sockets behind the double bed did not work so we were not able to use the bedside lamp ( please fix!)
The breakfast room is self service with a good selection of cereal,pastries and fruit. There is also a griddle to warm your croissants as well as a microwave. Hot drinks including latte, cappuchino etc are free - yes FREE via vending machine - and yes, they taste great too! There is lounge area near the reception if you want to relax, watch the large screen tv,surf the net or maybe play one of the board games available! Something for everyone!

To sum up..
The METRO is a great find among the many hotels and b&b's in Newquay. We would certainly recommend staying here as it is very good value for money and it accomodates a family of 5 in ONE room rather than having to book 2 rooms - other hotelliers/proprietors PLEASE take note!!
Hope to stay again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank godfrey t
Thank you so much for leaving us such a positive review.....It is so nice to hear back from people who have stayed with us and had a good time....it makes everything worthwhile!

Hopefully we'll see you again soon.