“Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We have enjoyed a short break at this hotel. Our twin room and shower had been recently decorated and was all kept spic and span by the house keeper Laura (sweetie) who did a great job.
Most of the staff are friendly and helpful, but one or two although efficient need some people skills training.
The breakfasts are great with a good choice, the evening meals need a little more imagination as they are simple foods, but well presented.
The pool is fantasticly warm and a great facility, with soft white towels provided for use.
A good position for visiting the friendly cornwall area, with buses and a town train close by.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IWgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
halesowen
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I visited Barrowfields hotel Good Friday week as it was my birthday and I thought why not. Worst mistake,
The hotel was being refurbished and there were 3 coaches of guests. My room was a single and was the size of a shoebox in which you couldn't swing the proverbial cat!!
The meals were pretty good with some choice. Waitress was very good considering the number of guests she had to serve. A few disappointments in meals though.
Entertainment was quite poor...bingo and mediocre singers etc. I either sat in the lounge/reception watching the huge tv there or in my room. Due to the icy weather I didn't venture out of the hotel at night.
Swimming pool was pretty good except for the jacuzzi not working very often and the skylights were cracked/shattered.
We saw the manager the first day we arrived but he vanished the rest of the week except to deal with complaints.
I went out each day to explore the area. Eden Project was brilliant and the bus stopped otside the hotel. The zoo was small but really good and only 15 minutes slow walk away. The town itself was pretty run down.
Everything went okay till the night before I left to go home. I was feeling nauseous all night and had no sleep. Or breakfast the next day. Even the sight and smell of it made me sick. On the way out to the coach home I passed an elderly woman being violently sick in the reception. Heard one coach driver complaining that she was on his coach!! No sympathy for her or from the staff.
I got home quite quickly still feeing nauseous. Over the next 6 days I had violent projectile vomiting and could not eat and could only keep sips of water down. I managed to see a doctor who diagnosed Norovirus. He asked if I had been away and confirmed that I had caught it while on holiday. The following week I had bad diarrheoa for 3 days.
I contacted Daish's head office who then sent a message for the manager to contact me. That was 3 weeks ago.....nothing from him.
So I will never be going to on of their hotels again. I will leave all the readers to make up their own mind once they have read my review.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors than ground ones and upgrade if you can
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank gillyHalesowen
Tenterden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

How can one beat Daish's hotels/travel for value? This hotel is in an excellent position not far from the cliff top to the beach and not too near the town but within easy walking distance. A friendly and welcoming hotel creating a good atmosphere for our group and not one complaint - can't be bad! The food is very reasonable, a full english breakfast is always something to look forward to whilst on holiday. Excellent evening entertainment every night, bar costs very affordable and a good dance floor. Some relaxed in the pool, some visited the hairdresser & beauty salon, whilst others went on interesting excussions. All staff are friendly, efficient and helpful, the only thing our group was surprised and pleased about was the price - thank you Diash's once again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the first floor facing the road, had window open but still quite. Unfortunately work is b...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Sussex
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Since my review in 2011 the hotel has obviously done a lot to quieten a noisy central heating system and to remedy the squeaky floors. I know because I was assigned exactly the same room as my previous visit. Still overly warm, but this was not a bad thing given the March chilly weather. Had a great time, swimming in the pool every day before breakfast. We were well fed and entertained. Trips arranged by the hotel, or buses to many destinations available outside the hotel or at the end of the road. Staff helpful. All in all terrific value for money

Room Tip: I'm told that the single rooms on the ground floor are very small. You could do better to pay a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank jazzcatjan
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day break , with Daish's coaches , at this hotel.and what a lovely break it was. The coach driver was very friendly and professsional, and I had a pleasant journey from suffolk. The hotel was very welcoming, had a spacious room overlooking the sea, and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The breakfast and dinner could not be faulted, with plenty of choice. My husband and I will definately go with this company again, it is such great value for money..

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Maz1952
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

just been here early march.room excellent 307.Staff first class.Food excellent.Was a bit dubious when booking,self drive,but no need to have worried.Entertaiment average but new acts coming in when we left.Highly recomended. posted by mr and mrs Winder from C ardiff

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank richard436
Street, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

nice room clean and comfortable beds fine ,nice shower and cleaned each day, nice touch was the management coming onto coach to welcome us to the barrowfield ,check in was really quick and porters to take luggage to your room.dining was very quick a little too quick at times .all in all avery good stay lovely people .good entertainment ,a lovely xmas present from a lovely friend nikki ,we are definetley going back.

Room Tip: flat roof /seagulls to be avoided .
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends