“A good choice”

Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We purchase food locally and cook fresh in our kitchens each day. We have a popular Sunday Roast each Sunday, as it is freshly cooked roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese, green vegetables and melt in the mouth meat, plus vegetarian and vegan options, it's usually very busy. We also offer a takeaway Sunday roast, call and collect. Friday night is Burger Night where we serve the Dolphin Gourmet Burgers, that too has become extremely popular, the menus are on our website and we offer online booking. The restaurant itself is a 75 seater restaurant with a nice friendly bar and lots of sofas dotted around the bar. It's been under new ownership since November 2016 and has been receiving rave reviews and sometimes sold out on Sundays with over 160 meals served. The Dolphin is the oldest trading restaurant in the beautiful Cornish town of Newquay and is a traditional yet vibrant venue, with friendly staff and a strong focus on sustainable and ethical practice. All produce is fresh and is locally and responsibly sourced, allowing for an exciting and dynamic food menu that appeals to people of all tastes. The lounge bar provides a relaxing area to enjoy well maintained draught lagers, ales and ciders, a carefully chosen range of wines and spirits. Serving from our Main Menu items such as Tapas, Seafood and Grill as well as our hugely popular Sunday Roasts, where we offer a takeaway roast on Sunday (from 26 November 2016) to meet the overbooked demand. The Dolphin is situated near to the Harbour in the centre of the town, just a minute from the beach and is surrounded by absolutely gorgeous beaches famous for their golden sands and world-class surf conditions on the North Cornwall coast. Adjacent to the restaurant is a pay and display car park whilst street parking is also available within a few minutes walk. Sainsburys also operate a time limited (1.5 hours at the time of writing) car parking facility, it is an automated time register driving in and driving out so allow a few extra minutes to get back to your car and exit their car park.
Taunton, United Kingdom
“A good choice”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My partner and I chose the Dolphin restaurant based on the delicious sounding menu and we were not disappointed. We were on a long weekend in Cornwall and stopped in Newquay on a Sunday night specifically to try out the Dolphin. I made a bit of an error on the booking form (I put the year as 1969 rather than 2013) and this meant that the Dolphin did not have our booking for the Sunday night. Luckily we phoned ahead.

The friendly staff apologised for the error (even though it was my fault) and said that they closed a bit earlier on Sunday and only had a reduced menu but could we come along and see if we liked it. The menu was still substantial and all of it was delicious sounding. I could not tell that this was a reduced menu.

I had whitebait to start and crispy topped belly pork for main. I could not manage a pudding which is unusual as I am a greedy man. The portions are very generous but still retain a sense of elegance. The menu is very fresh and wholesome and very reasonably priced, we would have paid much more.

Our more expensive meal the previous night had been excellent but very “Mastercheffy” with much smaller dishes, which meant that we left the restaurant as two very happy and very full Dolphin fans.

Thank you to the chef and the staff.

• Visited October 2013

Newquay, United Kingdom
“No sign of Aunt Bessies here...... Excellent!!!!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is not the first Sunday lunch my wife & I have had here and won't be the last! For starters, the service is second to none. I had a FANTASTIC bacon laced fiery Bloody Mary, while my wife had a lovely glass of red (they do have a very good wine list as well as cocktail list)

I ordered the pork while my wife ordered the herring. Both were perfectly cooked & presented. There were plenty of very fresh vegetables and the Yorkshire puddings were huge and delicious.

Definitely worth the 45min drive. Thanks guys, see you soon!

• Visited November 2013
London
“An awesome meal!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I was completely surprised to find a spacious, convivial pub up a narrow little staircase off the Main Street in Newquay. I was even more blown away by the quality of the food - it was truly excellent, accompanied by friendly service and a cosy atmosphere. Best meal I've had in Cornwall - I highly recommend it!

Preston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food/wonderful staff”
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Quirky place, fab staff and really lovely food, We were in Newquay for less than a week and ate at the Dolphin Wednesday through to Sunday with the exception of the Friday as we thought we should have a change of venue, shouldn't have bothered! We were back at the Dolphin the Saturday and the Sunday. Lovely fresh food and much more reasonably priced than the equivalent up here in Lancashire. Our two favourite dishes; whitebait and the ribs but leave space for the scrummy Sunday roast ......

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jane P
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Just 'ok'”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We visited on the basis on the reviews on TA and while it's not a bad place by any means, we couldn't really describe it as great either. Our food took a very long time to be served even though the place wasn't particularly busy, and it was just... 'ok'. My other half's steak while reasonable was pretty well blasted (for the record: medium-well is not this!) and I couldn't say anything particularly exceptional about my choice of scallops either. The baked camembert starter was lovely, but it's pretty hard to get this wrong! This review would have probably been a 4, but we were beyond hungry by the time the food came out so probably didn't enjoy it as much!

I can't fault the serving staff who were very friendly, but I think they were let down by their colleagues in the kitchen on this occasion.

• Visited October 2013