“Winter Surf - Amazing!”

The Surf Club Cornwall
More attraction details
Owner description: Specialising in private surf lessons one-on-one, or with small groups and families. All instructors are experienced surfers and instructors, and our beach is the best in the area, being both quiet and consistent. We are open all year round and offer 3 lessons per day where daylight permits. Age 6-100 and all abilities welcome.
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I visited the Surf Club at Mawgan Porth early February 2013. It was stunningly beautiful, one of the best beaches down in Cornwall in my opinion, that little bit more secluded and special than the bigger beaches of Newquay. I'd been surfing on holiday a few years previously and was keen to get back in the water, but wasn't really sure what I was doing at all. Nick was so patient and went through all the basics again with me without making me feel stupid. We started off with a warm-up on the beach, and then discussed what I could remember of surfing technique, and what I had found difficult previously, with Nick giving me some great tips to change what I had found hard before. Once out in the water, he pulled me in to a number of waves as I was finding it hard to catch them so I could get a feel for it, and then he kept giving me pointers to improve my technique. And amazingly all of his suggestions had results, and I was standing by the end of the session. Not only did he teach me how to surf, but I had so much fun too, and in such a beautiful setting too, what more could anyone want?! I can't recommend this enough!

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"holiday"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Nick is a fantastic teacher - the whole family had a great time and learned how to surf! We enjoyed it so much we went back again! Many thanks.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

My husband & I visited Mawgan Porth the weekend of 10th November 2012 & decided to try out surfing for the first time! My husband was particularly nervous as he has only just recently learned how to swim (September / October this year!), so this was a MASSIVE challenge for him!

We had a lovely guy called Nick as our instructor & he kitted us out in our winter wetsuits, boots & gloves which I was surprised completely kept the chill away; & I'm usually always cold!

Once we were down on the beach, Nick started with the very basics to make sure we felt comfortable & safe & made sure we stretched, warmed up & ready to surf. He talked us through how to stay safe in the water & reassured us by breaking everything down in to manageable chunks.

I am a pretty good swimmer, so wasn't too worried about falling off & going under the water, but I was a little nervous for my husband as I wasn't sure how he would cope. Nick was with us in the water at all times ensuring our position with the boards was correct & that we went for the right type of wave.

We were in the water for around 2-2.5 hours altogether & we had a fantastic time! It was very tiring, but SO enjoyable & we can't wait to give it another go!

I very nearly stood up & I think if I were to do it again, I could probably make use of my extra energy at the beginning of the lesson to give myself the strength to stand. It's fascinating how within 1 surf lesson you can do so much!

My husband was happy to practice catching the waves, building his confidence as he caught one wave after another! I am so proud of him & it just goes to show; anyone can surf!

If you do manage to get down to Cornwall, give surfing a go... you may be surprised at yourself & your family!

V & J x

SurfClubCornwall, Owner at The Surf Club Cornwall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

You both did so well! We can't wait to have you back for another lesson - a great role model for anyone that doesn't feel too confident about swimming!

Reviewed 22 November 2012

I recently visited the stunning Mawgan Pawth in Cornwall and booked a nervous first surf lesson with 'The Surf Club'. From the moment we arrived (the lesson was with my mother and my young brother and sister) we all felt totally looked after. Nick, our instructor was amazing. He was so clear and passionate that we all felt really safe and confident.
We started by talking about safety on the water, then we warmed up and stretched on the sand before running some surfing drills. Very soon we headed out into the sea to practice our newly learnt moves.
Amazingly we all quickly managed to stand on our boards - the best feeling ever - which Nick very kindly captured on camera for us, so the memories stand proud on our mantlepiece.

The Surf Club was a fantastic place to learn - the instructors are so caring and personal that all of the family will have an amazing time there. We are now hooked and cannot wait for our next trip to Mawgan Porth.

We're glad you all enjoyed it and look forward to your next visit with us!