“Truly appalling” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stiltskins Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

Stiltskins Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Steakhouse, Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Under new management 23,07,13Our 17th Century Bar and Restaurant, situated in a beautiful location within the Carvynick Country Club Resort near Newquay, Cornwall. We pride ourselves in providing quality food and wines that have been sourced locally throughout Cornwall.
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Truly appalling”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have just returned from my wife's work's do an I must say this was simply the worst dinig experience I have ever had.

When we arrived a nice young lady greeted us warmly by opening the front door and welcoming us to the restaurant, it went downhill thereafter.

We were shown through to a room with a U shaped table set up, after we sat down anyone who wanted to leave the table would either have to ask half of the room to stand up, or get down on their hands and knees and crawl underneath the table, very dignified for ladies. As this was a Christmas do, you would expect there to be a few decorations and maybe some background music playing, we were later informed, after requesting some music, that "it was broken they thought or didn't know or something".........

Our group had booked well in advance and the cost was £30 a head, this included a starter, a main and a dessert. Now bearing in mind that these were pre ordered simple meals you would expect that the starters would all come out together, right? Wrong! One by one, bit by bit the starters filtered out, then a gap and a couple more, wait a few minutes and a couple more....... My wife had fish cakes which were devoid of any taste, let alone the fact that the chef couldn't even be bothered to season them. I myself had a bowl of soup, well I say a bowl, I had half a bowl of insipid mush that, to be fair, had a pleasant garnish.

After about 20 minutes after we had all finished, the waiting staff kind of cleared the table, they were very pleasant and helpful it must be said, but they were very poorly trained, if they don't even know how to clear a table after a course then there are serious issues behind the scenes.

Now for the mains, more slow delivery of the food, again bearing in mind they had the orders well in advance of the party you would imagine the food would come out quickly and together, not the case unfortunately. After dispensing one plate here, a bowl of veg there, one of our party had to complain that his food was cold and requested another be sent for. It hadn't gone cold because he was waiting for others meals to come, the food had arrived cold. My meal arrived with 2 tiny roast potato's, THIRTY QUID AND TWO TINY ROAST POTATO'S?? Someone is taking the mickey here, not only that but my plate was cold, stone cold, no wonder the food was coming out cold they can't even be bothered to heat the plates! I ate it, it was a reasonably tasty plate of roast turkey, I'd have liked some veg but firstly it was coming out in dribs and drabs (again) no organisation, and someone had the smart idea of putting cauliflower cheese on the same veg plate as the carrots, broccoli and green beans, we don't all like cheese so having the other veg dripping in cheese sauce meant I couldn't have any.

At this point you're probably thinking, why didn't he complain, why not ask for more veg? Well for a start by the time I would have got another meal it would have been home time and as it happens one of our party had already complained (as I mentioned above) and didn't receive a replacement meal in adequate timeto even want to eat it.

The whole thing was a disgraceful and chaotic mess. At no point during the evening while I was there (my wife and I left shortly after the desserts were served) did a senior member of staff, a manager, a chef or an owner come and apologise for the abysmal service and food. £30 for a pre ordered simple Christmas meal should not be a difficult operation to execute.

I would not recommend this place unless you like over priced cold food, I would honestly say go to MacDonald's over this place, at least you pay cheaply for rubbish!

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank thefacehead

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, lovely venue and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We went here on a Sunday afternoon for lunch on a trip to Newquay. The waiter who served us was really welcoming and it has a really nice cosy feel to it. We both had a Sunday roast, I had the vegetarian option which was delicious. The roast was excellent value for what you got and it came with a good selection of seasonal veg. A really lovely pub, would strongly recommend!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Devon_penguin
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Sunday Roast...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We decided to venture out to Stiltskins for a Sunday roast following a recommendation from a friend, and found ourselves very pleasantly surprised! Upon walking through the door from a very rainy and windy Newquay we were greater by a beautifully modern bar area, where we were quickly seated around the log fire to warm ourselves up and served our pre-dinner drinks from the very accommodating bar maid.

We were shortly shown to our table and our lunch was served soon after. I personally opted for the Roast Beef on a bed or horseradish mash, accompanied with a variety of deliciously cooked vegetables and roasted potatoes! Definitely worth the price of £12.50, which initially I was sceptical about paying, but having tried the roast, it was definitely worth it!

Upon finishing our lunch, our empty plates were soon removed from our table by a friendly, well spoken waiter who appeared genuinely interested as to our experience in the restaurant so far, who offered us the desert menu which initially I was going to decline, but after hearing some of the options I was easily persuaded to look at.
I was soon delivered a good size portion of the banoffee meringue which was to die for, elegantly presented on a beautifully decorated plate

My only issue which I feel ruined the experience a bit for me was one of the young brunette waitresses who didn't really understand the concept of "service with a smile". Maybe lacking in confidence, she was very quiet when talking, lacking in eye contact and almost abrupt when answering some of our questions. Though I feel this probably comes from an inexperience in the customer service setting.

Overall, the relaxing atmosphere made for a lovely meal, and I will soon return for another meal.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jen D
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Sunday Roast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We took Wendy's oldest son and girlfriend for a Sunday Roast.

They were able to accommodate us and in spite of the impending storm did not rush us out!

The surrounding are beautiful, well laid out with attentive staff. The meal was served in timely fashion , hot with a good variety of sides!

We would go again!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Andrew T
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Amazing dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Having found this place on the Internet and seeing the recent article in the west country food magazine my friend and I decided to catch a roast here on our last afternoon in Cornwall. Upon entering we were seated by a fire in armchairs with menus and a drink order taken and shortly after we had our food order taken. It was a lovely idea that we weren't called to the table until our food was ready. The food was fantastic and you really get what you pay for - and more!! Just a few service niggles - service is lovely with a smile, something our waitress couldn't quite get to grips with, although she was efficient there was just no enthusiasm! Also, when we were seated the place settings still had starter cutlery even though we hadn't ordered starters and when we ordered wine the wine glasses should have been removed - just would've added to the experience! Overall it was an excellent meal and would definitely return!!

• Visited November 2013