“Overpriced ill equipped”
Review of The Headland Spa

The Headland Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Prepare to be wowed as you enter Cornwall's first five bubble rated Spa. Let all your cares drift away as you step into one of the state of the art treatment rooms finished with ash wood panelled walls and accent colours. Couples and friends can enjoy the doubles treatment rooms. The manicure and pedicure room with its vibrant tones and textures adds a real sense of luxury to any visit. Guests can also indulge in the private luxury of the St. Tropez suite, providing an all over, natural looking tan for both men and women. The ultimate Air 2 spray booth (sprayed by hand) will offer you long-lasting colour. Other facilities include: 6 Treatment rooms A private jacuzzi suite Relaxation lounge VIP suite Life Fitness Gym Robed dining area Rhassoul mud chamber
Reviewed 15 October 2013

After seeing the pictures and online reviews me and my training partner decided to give the headland a go. The spa reception and layout is very impressive as are the attentive staff. The 'leisure area' is set out nicely if though quite small and I can imagine it to get very crowded in the summer. The main problem we found though was the so called state of the art gym, which was nothing of the sort. The gym is tiny and very poorly equipped putting a couple of monitors on a exercise bike does not make a gym state of the art. I suggest that the headland spa invest in a range of free weights. What they have to date could've been used by my twelve year old daughter, a smith machine is a MUST, No curl bars? No straight bar, no way to bench anything other than a cable machine, or a outdated static press. The value for money was outrageous and I won't be returning which is a shame as I live in newquay but will have to travel to Hustyns in wadebridge everyday for a proper spa and gym

Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

The Headland Spa is a new facility which is enjoyed by both residents and non residents. We offer exclusive Life Fitness equipment and personal trainer 1:1 sessions but never set out to compete with gyms offering heavy weights body building training. We have received positive comments from our members but are certainly receptive to all guest feedback and thank you for yours.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Spa days are a really important part if my social life. I was delighted to hear that one of Newquay's leading hotels was building a new spa facility.

I have been 3 times already and although some things are not quite ready just yet it is totally on track to be the best spa experience I have had and I've had a lot!

The decor is very modern and elegant but somehow fits well with the 'oldie worldie' feel of the hotel. The relaxation room is not finished yet but the plans look amazing and this is a definite must have in any spa. This week the healthy food bar is due to open, I can't wait to sample it's delights on my next visit.

The spa staff are fantastic. Maria the spa manager has an abundance of experience and this is definitely being utilised with maximum effect. The team of therapists are really lovely. I have had the pleasure of receiving all three of my treatments by Xivana (sorry if I spelled that wrong), I can't fault them, they have all been amazing and judging from my friends comments the other therapist all really know what they are doing.

Chatting through my latest massage yesterday, because i can't help chatting, I heard the exciting news about the 4 hands massage which is coming soon, 2 therapists carrying out your massage simultaneously, sounds like pure heaven

I am really excited about my next visit on the 19th October for Tammi's hen spa day! The team at the spa all knew about it when I mentioned it yesterday which was lovely and shows they are already working well together even though the spa is only a few weeks old. I can't wait!

I could go on and on but I just suggest you check it out yourselves, have a look at their web site too to see pictures of the new spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back and are so pleased that you enjoyed your Spa experience. Your comments have been passed on to the team and they thank you for your lovely feedback.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was our first visit to the Headland Hotel and it's new Spa but it certainly won't be the last as my Daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the treatments we received at the Spa and can't wait to go back.

We were impressed by the calibre of the staff at the Spa and feel sure they have been carefully selected for their level of experience.

It was a nice feature that after the first treatment they ensured that I saw the same person each time I visited the Spa so there was a feeling of continuity which I appreciated.

The treatment rooms are luxurious and added to the experience. When talking to them prior to booking a treatment it was obvious they were competent in all treatments offered and they were able to advice on the treatments available and whether a treatment I was considering would compliment both me and the other treatments booked.

The emphasis was on our experience and our wellbeing rather than as can be the case with some Spa's who seek to sell as many products as possible.

I have nothing but praise for the Spa and all the staff there but would like to mention in particular the Manager, Martina. Within minutes of meeting her you are aware of her passion for the Spa and the benefits of the treatments she has introduced. Her focus is ensuring that her Clients enjoy their experience and derive as much as possible from the range of treatments on offer.

We were there during the school holidays so the indoor spa and hot tub were understandably busy as Hotel residents also use them but this did not detract from our enjoyment of the spa itself.

1  Thank 470blw470
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I visited the spa at the Headlands Hotel with a friend for a day of relaxation and catch up. We do this every year and leave the husbands and children behind. The hotel is a magnificent building overlooking the sea near Fistral Bay, Newquay - a truly stunning location. The spa is a new feature for the hotel, so we were filled with anticipation as we were shown down to this part of the hotel. On arrival at the spa reception, we were greeted warmly, given robes and flip flops and shown the facilities. The reception area also featured seating and small chairs and tables and large windows with what will presumable become the main entrance to the spa. The decor is perfect, however, it is not a very intimate or private area so if you are sitting trying to relax or have lunch, you are going to be on full view to everyone walking through the spa area. There was building work still being carried out, which we could hear it in certain areas, but not see. The ladies changing rooms were temporary and were located in what will become the men's changing rooms. There were no changing cubicles, which could be a problem for some and the towels were kept in the spa area across from the changing areas, which meant walking through reception. The showers in the changing room were large and spacious.
The spa area itself was well designed, featuring a pool area, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There were also two 'aromatherapy' showers. There were also toilet facilities, drinking fountain and towels in this area. There were a few chairs around the pool area, although it could do with more seating and maybe lounger type seating. Overall, it was clear that a lot of money had been spent on creating the whole spa area. Unfortunately there was one issue, that unless resolved, will prevent this from becoming one of the premier spas in the West Country; children! Children are permitted in the spa, and at the time of our visit, there were children in the jacuzzi and playing in the pool. There were teenage boys playing boisterously in the pool, which ultimately meant that my friend and I felt that we had no option but to complain. The manageress was very apologetic and she did everything within her power to improve our experience. We did ultimately enjoy our day, but this was entirely due to the way we were treated by the professional staff. The therapists who did our treatments were excellent and we finished our day feeling relaxed, despite the fraught experience of the spa area at the start of our day. I would happily return to the Headland spa due to the staff and (most of the) facilities, however, when I go for a spa day, I am not looking to be surrounded by children or teenage boys playing, so unless this changes, I will not go back. This is a pity as the potential due to the facilities, location and staff is enormous. The hotel has an outdoor pool and is next to Fistral Beach. On the day of our visit, it was a beautiful sunny day, so I can only imagine how busy it gets on a wet, miserable day! The staff cope incredibly well trying to manage a situation where the hotel has clearly not decided whether it is an indoor pool with some spa facilities, or a proper spa. I hope that as time goes on, the spa will evolve and meet its potential, but until it does, if you are looking for a spa with good facilities without the children running around, I would highly recommend the Fistral Beach Hotel and spa.

4  Thank samdoha3