Watergate Bay Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Newquay
See available hotels
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa(Newquay)
Very Good 4/5
Pendeen Hotel(Newquay)
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
Great 4.5/5
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa(Mawgan Porth)
Retorrick Mill(St. Mawgan)
Average 3/5
1,511 results
All reviewsliving spacebeach hutwatergate bayswim clubcoach houseinfinity poolextreme academyocean roomjamie olivershot tubfront facingoverlooking the beachhotel restaurantthe main hotelfamily hotelschool holidayssea view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My 8 year old is a coeliac and I thought we had resolved catering issues last summer. For the last few years we have returned twice a year, each time we have a flood of excuses for the chef not being able to feed my son - this years top 3 are

1) we have nothing for him - this was on arrival

2) we have been shopping and have bought pizza bases and ready made GF puddings

3) we have GF pasta but we have no tomato sauce or pesto in the hotel

The final straw was them serving chips which had a wheat bases coating on them - this made him I'll for 36 hours of his stay!

Sad thing is the children adore this place...

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank betty394
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We are just checking out as a family of 5 after 4 nights at The Watergate Hotel and we loved it. My major plus point is the attitude of all the staff, very friendly, helpful and laid back. The food is good (Bistro best), but I love the informality of the hotel. No stuffy rules.

I would recommend this hotel to friends, especially those with young children

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012

First of all I usually hate the really negative comments on here, from some users who seem to be disappointed EVERYWHERE they go, however this hotel is the most disappointing place I have ever stayed in.
We stayed over valentines for a romantic break... BIG mistake as it was also half term and FULL of badly behaved children. This made the buffet/self service breakfast a nightmare as you were either queuing watching children mess with the food or nearly scalding them when they got underfoot. The general clientele are fairly 'well-to-do' but they seemed oblivious to the fact that their children were running amok and the staff weren't too bothered either. In fact they gave better service to these customers than us (like we were invisible).
The room was really small with a horrible view of the back of the building, and noise from some sort of generator disturbed our sleep. The style of the room was nice but thats about it. I found a hair in my bed (not the type you want to find in your bed) but as it was late and we were only staying one night I removed it myself, but emailed them some feedback that week, to which I had a snotty 'we're sorry but you should have said, tough luck' type reply (I don't think they believed me and couldn't be bothered to be courteous).
The restaurant was good however, and we had a good evening meal with good service. I think most people would be pleased with the menu and presentation.
Overall I think that the rooms are over-priced and the service is way below par to expect people to pay what they do, even if the furniture and wall paper are fancy.
Personally I would never stay in this hotel again, I lived in Cornwall for a few years and there are far better hotels about with cheaper rooms, better service and just as better views.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank itmightnothappen
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Our family of five had a truly wonderful time at Watergate Bay hotel. The highlights were:1. The staff - loads of em and all keen, intelligent, confident and happy; 2. The food - wonderful, healthy, fresh, top quality, good value; 3. The pool - one of the best ever; 4. The chill out lounge - so chilled and with a view and cider to die for; 5. The location - bang smack on one of the greatest surf beaches in the UK.

Room Tip: all seemed good
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Nice location. Although we visited as a couple, it is first and foremost a family hotel and a great one at that. Our room was clean and modern, but on the small side given the high price! There were no slippers nor mineral water or biscuits - all touches one might've expected at such an expensive establishment. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple