“Great location, excellent facilities, the perfect base to enjoy the perfect beach side holiday, this place has got it spot on!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We were originally looking at going abroad for the last week of the summer holidays but with decent hotels costing upwards of £5k ex flights we started looking elsewhere. A colleague mentioned watergate bay as somewhere they has visited earlier in the year and spoke highly of the hotel. A quick email later and the hotels reservation dept had suggested 2 rooms next to each other in the original building and on Aug 28th 2012 we started our 300mile drive to Cornwall. After an overnight stop off via peppa pig world (Romsey) we arrived in watergate bay around 11am. Immediately greeted by the tastefully modern swim and spa area baring the hotels name and an inside that does not disappoint with what feels like a luxurious beach house. One room was already available but the reception pointed out that even if it hadn't have been then we were free to use any if the hotels facilities. The bedrooms are clean, modern with lovely furniture, comfy beds and again following the beach side luxury theme. This is not a new building but the recent renovations do make it feel very comfortable. The hotel has a number of fantastic areas, the living space has fantastic views of the bay where where u can order anything from an espresso and a croissant to lobster and chips, with comfy sofas, armchairs and tables and outside terrace this is a perfect place to just Chill out with all the family. Other areas include the 25m indoor pool that has doors which can be folded back on sunnier days and again with a wind shielded terrace and a hot tub with beach views. The kids club was well organised providing activities for 3-7th olds daily between 10-12 and then again nightly 6.30-9.30. The one area that i think could be improved is the brasserie/dining room which didn't seem to have the same cool vibe as other parts of the hotel although the food was still fantastic and better than the £100 per head meal that we had at the neighbouring 'fifteen'. Service was sometimes slow at busy periods but at the end of the day this is england and not the middle east and the service was always extremely polite and well delivered. I've already booked us in for next year!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Willibob
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Soent several augfust bank holidays in this clifftop west facing hotel. We just went back last weekend and they spent a fortune on upgrading the spa, pool, and restaurants. I wouls stauy in the modern ocean view rooms where you fall asleep to the sound of the ocean...
Enjoyed the outdoor ocean view hot tub too
breakfast was great.. and very easy for the whole family.
Beach below has lifeguards and is awesome for surfing
I strongly recommend this hotel for a family holiday at any age.. best in Cornwall by a mile

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2012

What a wonderful four-day stay we had at this lovely hotel! Granted, we managed to get the one week where it didn't rain in July so that helped a lot! We found the staff to be so upbeat and helpful; I loved their cheery attitude! Food was fantastic overall - from breakfast to the Dining Room, Living Space and even Fifteen, which was a very pleasant dining experience. We did get many families with young children, but the staff were so pleasant that I figured if they could bear it, so could I. And that amazing beach . . . absolutely gorgeous!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tessiedriver
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My 8 year old is a coeliac and I thought we had resolved catering issues last summer. For the last few years we have returned twice a year, each time we have a flood of excuses for the chef not being able to feed my son - this years top 3 are

1) we have nothing for him - this was on arrival

2) we have been shopping and have bought pizza bases and ready made GF puddings

3) we have GF pasta but we have no tomato sauce or pesto in the hotel

The final straw was them serving chips which had a wheat bases coating on them - this made him I'll for 36 hours of his stay!

Sad thing is the children adore this place...

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank betty394
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We are just checking out as a family of 5 after 4 nights at The Watergate Hotel and we loved it. My major plus point is the attitude of all the staff, very friendly, helpful and laid back. The food is good (Bistro best), but I love the informality of the hotel. No stuffy rules.

I would recommend this hotel to friends, especially those with young children

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012

First of all I usually hate the really negative comments on here, from some users who seem to be disappointed EVERYWHERE they go, however this hotel is the most disappointing place I have ever stayed in.
We stayed over valentines for a romantic break... BIG mistake as it was also half term and FULL of badly behaved children. This made the buffet/self service breakfast a nightmare as you were either queuing watching children mess with the food or nearly scalding them when they got underfoot. The general clientele are fairly 'well-to-do' but they seemed oblivious to the fact that their children were running amok and the staff weren't too bothered either. In fact they gave better service to these customers than us (like we were invisible).
The room was really small with a horrible view of the back of the building, and noise from some sort of generator disturbed our sleep. The style of the room was nice but thats about it. I found a hair in my bed (not the type you want to find in your bed) but as it was late and we were only staying one night I removed it myself, but emailed them some feedback that week, to which I had a snotty 'we're sorry but you should have said, tough luck' type reply (I don't think they believed me and couldn't be bothered to be courteous).
The restaurant was good however, and we had a good evening meal with good service. I think most people would be pleased with the menu and presentation.
Overall I think that the rooms are over-priced and the service is way below par to expect people to pay what they do, even if the furniture and wall paper are fancy.
Personally I would never stay in this hotel again, I lived in Cornwall for a few years and there are far better hotels about with cheaper rooms, better service and just as better views.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank itmightnothappen
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Our family of five had a truly wonderful time at Watergate Bay hotel. The highlights were:1. The staff - loads of em and all keen, intelligent, confident and happy; 2. The food - wonderful, healthy, fresh, top quality, good value; 3. The pool - one of the best ever; 4. The chill out lounge - so chilled and with a view and cider to die for; 5. The location - bang smack on one of the greatest surf beaches in the UK.

Room Tip: all seemed good