“wonderful watergate bay hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Just arrived back from this lovely hotel. Only stayed three nights wished it was longer hit jackpot with weather but you don't necessarily need the sun to enjoy this Hotel. Delightfully clean, the hotel was full but did not feel busy. Very friendly, lovely food but at a cost, service, reception all well trained and sharp. This hotel is a four star with a feeling of heading towards five star. Stretch the budget it is worth it for this hotel. Extremely child friendly with the best kids club everyday. The Beach Hut café/restaurant one minute away from hotel on Beach was lovely, book in advance for evening - a little pricey but the fantastic sunset and the lads surfing the waves worth the little extra. Can not think of a negative to put for this one well maybe parking a little difficult but I believe you can have use of next door public beach car park. Enjoy.

Room Tip: We had last room available as booked very short notice. We actually had the disabled room which was...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,472)

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We came last year and were so looking forward to returning again this year. And we were not disappointed. For a family, this is simply the best set up. The connecting rooms are perfect for parents' privacy whilst keeping an eye on the kids.
Breakfasts are great with lots of choices from the buffet option - so much so that we didn't order anything else from the cooked menu. My only criticism is the coffee - far too bitter... Gentle nudge to the mamagers : please change your supplier!
The indoor swimming pool is as brilliant in cold weather as it is in the sunshine when the glass windows are slid back and you have the feeling of swimming outdoors. There are lots of towels and the showers and changing areas are kept spotless. The beauty/ treatment space is peaceful. Only had a pedicure but very pleased with the result.
We had many lunches and dinners at the Living Space and each time the food was scrumptious (save for the courgettes and mint soup for some reason which was too bland). Service can be a bit chaotic as there are always a number of guests around but the staff is young, friendly and smiling so you would forgive them anything!
The beach location is unbeatable. Such a stunning view over the Bay, not least at sunset times.
And for the young ones - and their parents - the kids club in the evenings ( open from 6.30 to 9.30 but can you drop off/ pick up when suits you) is a godsend. It allows parents time for a proper dinner, and the opportunity to sample Fifteen next door - well worth it. The ladies at the kids club are all very caring and attentionate - with a special mention for Hamy (I hope I am spelling your name right), Hanna, Tammy and Alice. Thank you for looking after our 2 this week. They are already looking forward to next year!
And we have just re- booked. As I am sure we will for many years to come.

Room Tip: Rooms 111 and 112 connect and are straight on to the back garden on the ground floor. May not suit e...
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This was our 2nd visit to the hotel. Our first holiday with the new baby and everything about it was amazing, beautiful food at the hotel restaurant I thought it was nicer than fifteen, lovely deserts!! Perfect warm swimming pool with the baby lived for his first swim. The weather was funny do enjoyed the out door deck, really didn't want to leave. Will definitely return. Thanks for a great holiday

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 4 days in July after reading an article in one of the design magazines. The stay really met our expectations. Location is great and quiet enough, layout and lots of community space, great deco, nice ocean feel, friendly staff and the best English breakfast I have tasted so far! Very convenient to have Fifteen restaurant right next door. Definitely want come back soon and highly recommend it to anyone. The only recommendation is to go a bit out of season if you don't want to be surrounded by families and pay the highest rates.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I used to come here when my children were little and it has changed dramatically since the hall at the edge of the car park was used for badminton!
However I have stayed since the revamp and enjoyed seeing other young families enjoy the wonderful facilities
It is worth paying extra for the rooms overlooking the sea...it feels less enclosed than the back and side rooms.
Excellent facilities for those with children but maybe not so much for couples seeking romantic seclusion

Room Tip: sea view...definitely worth it
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I can only agree with the many other reviewers who have given this great hotel top marks. We've stayed here for several years now and it just gets better and better - primarily because of the new Swim Club and its associated areas. The place has a wonderfully relaxed feel to it, is beautifully decorated and maintained and the staff are really on the ball and super attentive. As ever I was very impressed by the level of service. Food in the main restaurant was great - we tend to stay on a DB&B basis - and breakfasts not as manic as usual ( I think this was because there were more teens there than toddlers.)
My only niggle - and warning to others booking in August - was we caught the tail end of the Boardmasters music festival which was located very close to the hotel itself and I wish we hadn't!
Sorry to sound like a pain, but if I'd had enough advance notice to change the booking I would have done so. It must have been great if you were attending the festival or you had teenage children who were, but for us it just meant an extremely busy hotel was even busier - thank goodness for the Swim Club which is residents only as it was the only way we could get a drink - and parking was a real hassle. A trip into Newquay took us almost an hour instead of 10 minutes or so! We're looking to stay again next summer but only if we can book outside of festival times.
I've got to say, the music wasn't intrusive at all and if you're a festival goer it must have been wonderful and I honestly hope everyone had a fab time - but the hugely increased traffic through the area itself did not appeal to me or my other half. Hasn't put us off returning by any means though - I'm just going to be very careful about when I book.

Room Tip: There are so many options, ask the Reservations Team, they are very helpful.
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here two years ago and rated it highly then. But since our last visit the hotel has developed its Swim Club, a fantastic pool, spa and outdoor deck area. The hotel is on the beach and the whole interaction of the Swim Club with the beach works brilliantly. You can store wet suits and boards in lockers at the side of the hotel minutes from the beach. Go surfing, come back and shower down in hot showers by the lockers and then make your way up to the swim club for a swim, hot tub etc. We thought it a fab addition to the hotel. The food and service remains excellent. We had exactly the same room as before and it didn't appear to have aged in any way. I think the hotel looks after the standards of the rooms very well. Parkings as always was busy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NCB24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#10 of 37 in Newquay
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Watergate Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!