“Great location, great food and wonderful staff. Dissapointing start.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great location, great food and wonderful staff. Dissapointing start.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel with our 19 month old twins. The room we were given was as far from the front of the hotel as possible with lots of stairs...not great with two toddlers. As work was being done the car park close to the rear was closed - although this was not made clear on booking. The staff car park was right opposite but it was only when I complained they did something about it. The second bedroom had bunk beds and a single bed which I guessed we're fixed so the two travel cots were wedged in. One travel cot collapsed while my daughter was in it (she was having a lunchtime nap) and she managed to climb out. Luckily there was no harm done but there could have been. Again I complained and this was rectified. We were not told about the nannying service either which would have been useful. We loved our stay - despite the hiccups and will go back but we did feel that there needs to be better communication between staff departments. Our room overlooked a building site!

Room Tip: Probably try and get a room in the main house.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Misdemeanour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a day or two hoping to do a bit of surfing. Unfortunately there was no surf but it was still very enjoyable. The hotel is well laid out, quite chic and in a great spot. The bar/living area with terrace is fun. Quality of staffing is a little variable; the reception staff were very good but the bar staff a bit disinterested and cocky. Somewhere we will go to again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This has to be one of our favourite places to stay. We have stayed here several times and love coming back. We also go to fifteen when we are here. The hotel staff seem relaxed happy and efficient. A. Wonderful location which does not disappoint.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stevesmith10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I went to Watergate Bay back in June for my birthday and not only is it a lovely location but Watergate Bay Hotel was just fantastic. It really is the perfect destination for a contemporary beach holiday in the UK.

Watergate Bay Hotel is four miles from Newquay and is a more secluded spot. The hotel is set right on the beach which means it has stunning views of the Atlantic ocean and rugged coastline. The hotel decor is modern, beach style, which instantly made me feel relaxed and at home. I had a big room and was lucky to have a view of the sea out on the balcony. It was weird but I felt like my room was my actual bedroom at home (albeit much nicer and tidier!) which is something I never experienced whilst staying in a hotel, it goes to show just how relaxed I must have felt. The toiletries in the bathroom were lush so much so I have some Another Place products at home to remind me of my stay. It goes without saying the hotel and room was clean and fresh but one thing I noticed but liked was the sand foot prints in the entrance area, some people I guess may be put off by this but to me it just reminded me of how in touch with the elements I was.

Watergate Bay Hotel has facilities to enjoy regardless of the unpredictable UK weather. There is the Swim Club where you can use the pool, get beauty treatments (I booked myself in for a facial and back massage (£60) which was just heaven after a morning of surfing) and use the cardio and studio. I especially loved the Ocean Room in the Swim Club, I could enjoy a hot chocolate or a glass of wine whilst reading a book and watch the waves roll in and personally I could look at the view all day, it's very atmospheric. There is the Extreme Academy where you can learn to surf, kite surf, traction kite, waveski, stand up paddlesurf and hand plane. I spent the Sunday morning surfing ... well trying to! I had a group lesson (introduction to surfing half day is £30) and despite the rainy weather it was great fun and so exhilarating. There is a beautiful beach for walks, sunbathing and picnics and walks along the cliff top coast line when the weather is fine.

The staff at Watergate Bay Hotel were professional, friendly and attentive but to be honest they just left me to it which was what I wanted.

Places to eat at Watergate Bay really are outstanding. There is the Dining Room, The Living Space, The Beach Hut and Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant. Neil Haydock is the executive chef, using local produce and taking inspiration from around the world. All the food was so delicious!

I stayed for two nights at Watergate Bay Hotel and so wished I had booked for longer, it was quite expensive, £360 for two nights but as a birthday treat well worth it. I am already looking at when I can return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeeLittleTravelBee
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Quite simply I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff, the ambience of the public areas and the attention to detail in the bedrooms. We had an ocean facing room that showed the Cornish Coast at it's very best. Fantastic stay, will be back.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Gary L
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Have just got back from Watergate Bay Hotel and what a stay it was. Our room 52 did not have a sea view however it was a family suite room even though we were only staying as a couple and the room size was ideal. All the facilities in the room were all present and correct from a microwave, fridge, all tea and coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board and hair drier. I have actually forgotten my toothbrush and paste and the hotel staff even sorted out a travel set for me. Dinner excellent, Breakfast amazing, Gym, pool and hot hub fantastic. Can't wait to take the family back and enjoy some more chilling.....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I visited Watergate Bay Hotel for dinner with family while on holiday in Newquay. We decided to dine in the bar on our last night on holiday as a treat before we went home and we were not disappointed.

The hotel is in such a lovely location and if the weather was nicer I would have loved to have sat on the balcony. The bar has a very modern decor and is extremely clean. During our meal the staff were very attentive and provided a clean high chair straight away for our daughter.

The food was delicious and portions so generous I could not manage a dessert! You could tell that the food was freshly prepared. I like the blackboard by the bar that shows the specials and cocktail of the day.

My husband and I are definitely going to book a long weekend at the hotel in the future if the service in the hotel is as good as the bar.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#6 of 37 in Newquay
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Watergate Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!