“Good - if you get a deal...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Bath
“Good - if you get a deal...”
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Didn't quite match the marketing. The best thing about the hotel are the views which are so stunning especially seen from the two sitting areas within the hotel. Our room was fine but the bathroom was a little dated and had a strange odour. The breakfast was very similar to a Premier Inn except for free range Cornish produce. It was apparently a quieter time during our stay and breakfast was still chaotic with people wondering all over the show, including to use one of those awful toasters - I cannot imagine how manic it would be in the holidays. Staff all very helpful particularly in the spa area. Nice enough if you get an offer but disappointing if you pay normal rates as we did.

1 Thank CloudBath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We arrived at early as my husband & daughter had a surf lesson, met with a friendly smile and told we would be contacted when the room was ready. I walk with a stick and was happy to relax in the lower chill zone. The lift stinks, fish or rubber!? At 3.15pm I hadn't received a call so wandered back to reception. Room was ready, no 75. I was told it is quite a long way and given wishy washy directions, an indication it was in the Coach house may have helped. Possibly the furthest room away, up stairs, a few non marked raised levels along the way to a very nice room. Air con and windows that open, yay! BUT boiling hot radiator in the bathroom, no controls just hot, ouch!
Both my husband & I had beef we had asked to be pink,mine nearly my husbands not at all. Apparently the chocolate mousse was to die for!
Am unsure if we will return, it was expensive for the experience we had.

Room Tip: If you're mobility isn't great but you do not want to be defined by this check where the roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara S
Cheltenham
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Disappointed, I expected better -This is a glorified Travelodge/premier inn with a pool. 3 star stay with 4/5 star prices. Reservation was good over the phone, on arrival staff pleasant, car parking a nightmare, small amount of spaces and car park adjacent chargeable, no on road parking. Room adequate but could have been cleaner, bathroom had an unpleasant background smell. Bed comfy, room warm. Rooms not well insulated for sound. The rooms could do with updating. Hotel doesn't match it's online marketing. Food average not outstanding and pricey. Drinks on the pricey side. Pool pleasant but staff grumpy. Unlikely to come again. Prefer The Scarlet for adult weekend away and Bedruthan for family time away, both just up the road.

1 Thank ruby2sh0es
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed here recently for the 3rd time. I love this hotel and have done since my first visit last year.

The hotel is really laid back. The rooms are lovely, with very comfy beds and great showers. The Ocean Rooms have lovely balconies (which we had for the first time) and terraces (we have had before on the ground floor) with great views.

In terms of facilities, I would say they are first class. First time round I had a surf lesson which was great. The hotel itself has a great spa for treatments (tried and loved), a great pool and also a cardio room. The ocean room near the spa is lovely, and we tend to chill out with a hot chocolate and a good book, watching everyone running around on the beach.

There are lots of food choices and we have tried many. The food options in the hotel give good choice. For a laid back option, the living space is very nice. We haven’t eaten dinner in the dining room itself, but the menu looks good each time and breakfast is superb. Can’t fault it!

The beach Hut is nice overall, though I’ve had mixed experiences really. Of course there is also Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen which I love!

We took a drive out this time to Lusty Glaze restaurant and the food was nice, but I wasn’t impressed by the service myself.

The hotel is a popular family choice. I found this time round that it was much busier than previously with lots of kids and dogs. I have no problem with this, but if you want a romantic break or time off from your kids, I wouldn’t go here. It also means that at certain times it is quite difficult to get a seat in the Living Space (so we just headed to the chilled out Ocean Room). There is a kids play area, and I think a room to do baby meals etc. for Mothers. There is a also a games room with table tennis. Lots of board games scattered around in various places too, which was lovely.

It is worth noting that parking can be difficult. After going 3 times we only learned on our last visit that the main car park could also be used by guest free of charge, as long as you give in your reg number – worth noting!

Overall for me this hotel brings far more positives than downsides, but I have started to notice a few niggles really. These are minor though in comparison. The balcony we had was lovely and had a glass panel outlook. It did however look like it hadn’t been cleaned in a while – thus obstructing the lovely view ahead. Also, the WIFI is temperamental. It is hard to get onto and then cuts out quite a bit. If internet is really important to you – just be aware of this.

My final point is that there doesn’t appear to be any loyalty from the hotel. By this I mean, no discounted rates for booking again or nice offers on email – which is a real shame (but obviously a sign they don’t need to, or care to). I was interested in booking my wedding here given how much I love it, but was extremely disappointed with the hotel’s response. It was very much a response of take it or leave it. This may be true of most hotels (!?) but is a real shame, as I would love to get married here!

All in all though, fantastic hotel so…..Enjoy!

Room Tip: The Ocean wing rooms have a lovely view. Upstairs have balconies, with a slightly better view than i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay! Amazing place that looks a little odd from the outside as it's a mishmash of old building with new bits stuck on but inside its seaside cool with a modern twist and friendly vibe. Nothing pretentious at all just all good fun. Great food (we did the taste of the bay package), fab pool especially with the music, delightful massages, welcoming staff, lovely views (recommend getting a room with a view)
One thing to point out though, they charge you for the morning newspapers delivered to your room. Which is fine if they actually told you at reception at check in which they don't - rather asking which papers you would like in a matter of fact way which implied to me that it was complimentary. no big shakes but irritating nonetheless to see it on your bill at check out.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A fantastic place to stay. Great facilities in a fantastic location. The Ocean room in particular is very hard to pull yourself away from. If you want to surf the logistics are perfect - board storage and drying room with showers. It is possible to leave the water, lock your board away and then step into a hot shower to pull your wetsuit off before locking it in a cage to dry. Perfect.

Room Tip: You don't really need to spend much time in your room as the rest of the hotel is so good.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This was a stay for my birthday weekend as a present.

Good points: room lovely, comfy bed, spa treatments were fabulous, ocean room for relaxing in was great, food excellent.

Bad points:
Staff not particularly friendly, room miles away from reception, on arrival I was asked to sign the bill so that I saw how much it cost when it was a birthday treat (and the hotel knew), my boyfriend had to pay 4 times during our stay (once on arrival, then for dinner, then for lunch, and for treatments), I was asked how I was paying as I sat up from my massage!!, spa is not a spa, it's a swimming pool (no sauna/steam room, jacuzzi is tiny and outside!!), children literally everywhere (I love children but we wanted a romantic break so not ideal especially as so many of them running around - our fault for not realising it's a family hotel). Told hotel our complaints and they did apologise and stated they are changing their payment procedures.

It basically lacked that special touch. If you want a fabulous romantic break go to St Moritz nr Wadebridge...

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emmi08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#6 of 37 in Newquay
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Watergate Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!