“Excellent stay for our honeymoon”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay for our honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We had the most amazing stay for our honeymoon we arrived into the nicest room with lovely decoration! The food for supper was the best we've ever eaten! Three courses every night with something different each time and we stayed for seven days! The maître de was so friendly; all the staff were friendly and smiley and professional! We were even given a bottle of champagne after they found out it was our honeymoon! The views were amazing from the balcony and the large numbers of children had very little impact on us because it was such a well managed hotel! It was particularly hot, but the air conditioning was so good it was a pleasure to come back to our hotel! We both had very good massages and would recommend those to anyone! Oh the breakfast was also very good the range of foods was amazing! To be honest I think if we could afford to we would live there!
Thank you watergate bay for a wonderful stay!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel in May time was lovely and modern!good setting on the beach,went with my partner just for one night,was very impressed would defiantly stay again.great view from our room.had a meal at the beach hut nice food but not overally impressed for he price

• Stayed May 2013
Rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

My partner booked this surprise birthday present even though we only live a mile away! Overall it was a really lovely hotel. Our room with sea view and balcony was spotlessly clean. And to make my day they had feather pillows and a really comfy bed. Every member of staff was friendly and most helpful and breakfast was delicious. The buffet was well stocked with a good choice. We had booked dinner in the main restaurant but we didn't really fancy anything on offer that night (they only have a limited number of dishes and these change daily) so we ate in the bar area. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and chose a lovely bottle of wine. This hotel is dog frienfly and caters for families with small children. It has the longest indoor pool in Cornwall overlooking the beach but if you are a mature couple like us it might be better to book during term time! The pool was packed with youngsters and toddlers. The only thing that lets it down is the high price for drinks but apart from that it must be one of the nicest places to stay on the north Cornish coast

Room Tip: Try and book a sea view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

this is my son and partner`s favourite getaway.we got invited to join them for a weekend and could see why they love it so much.a high quality hotel,friendly staff,great indoor pool the swim club,even the changing rooms provide a personal shower and piped music.overlooking the surfing beach also used for polo matches.on the beach sits jamie olivers 15 restaurant and a great cafe.
10 min drive from padstow or newquay,makes it easy to see the rest of this cornish coast.
a dog friendly hotel with separate coach house accommodation.it also caters very well for the disabled.

Room Tip: a sea view from the main hotel,coachhouse quieter,adjoining via enclosed walkway.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
West Kirby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my girlfriend and I have stayed at the hotel, we loved it the first time...it's got better!

The new swim club is an excellent addition as the lack of a good pool was the only complaint we had from our first stay. However, you now have free use of what feels like a private members spa. The infinity pool is excellent, and in the low season is deserted, like having your own private pool. The staff in there are very friendly and attentive without being over the top. Our favourite addition though has to be the Ocean Room. It's so comfortable and in a family friendly hotel is an adult only haven! We spent a good few hours in front of the open fire with a book and more then one glass of wine!

As I've said, the staff are excellent, they have the ability to be relaxed and friendly but also professional.

The food and drink is excellent and well priced. The chef has obviously put a lot of thought into both the hotel menu and the beach hut menu.

I could list the hundreds of excellent points about this hotel, but I'd run out of space. The rooms are excellent, the location is brilliant and all the communal areas are homely and immaculate. My girlfriend has asked me to put one tiny criticism in this review, and that is the mattress was slightly lumpy and the duvet was a bit thin. These things didn't bother me so I suppose it's personal preference.

We love this hotel so much that we've already pencilled in our return in March!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed at the hotel while on a business trip. The hotel is only about 10 mins from the airport, I arrived just after 2 and was told my room wasn't ready as check in isn't until 3, this wasn't a problem as I was given a card to get into the residents living space, which meant I could sit comfortably with a cup of tea while working on laptop (easy wifi access) with a bay view ....shame it wasn't a bright day but still a great view.
The hotel is well set up in a lovely location, as well as the residents living space there is a lovely looking spa, the beach hut as an alternative eating/drinking location and dining room with good selection on the menu and standard of food. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and not intrusive. The only points a would score down on are that the rooms although lovely have wooden floors, mine was on the ground floor in the coach house which meant that every movement across the floor upstairs is quite noisy - especially if there are what sounded like young children running around! I also didn't have a mobile phone signal in my room which made it difficult for me to connect to VPN on wireless (not forgetting my trip was business not pleasure)
A relaxing place to visit and appears there are some good offers made available which I would be happy to try out for a couples break

Room Tip: If staying with someone with walking difficulties would suggest requesting a room with easy access a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed last weekend, had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Hotel:
Vell appointed rooms, nice touch of tea/coffee making equipment and conditioner in the rooms (helpful for those with long hair and windy beach walks/swims planned!). Plus good wifi and an amazing location!
The pool and hot tub were great, kept very clean and what a view!
There was also an adults only time in the evenings which gave adults a chance to enjoy the pool 'quietly'.
To be picky, considering the price and star rating of the hotel; the mattress could have been better it was a bit lumpy and the balcony door was quite breezy around the seals, although the heating more than compensated, and we were not cold!
Like I say I'm being picky, the hotel was very good. I've stayed in hostels and guest houses which are £10/night or less and feel that I review them fairly based on the value for money and budget-expectation ratio.

Staff were excellent, prepared, friendly and helpful.

Food:
The hotel restaurant served fantastic food! The service was also brilliant. I would recommend eating here, thought it was better than Jamie Oliver's Fifteen.
It would be nice if there was a curfew/separate area for children in the evenings as there were some loud toddlers running around, which was a shame from our couple's weekend away point of view - I guess this would be a plus point for young families wanting to a family break! This might be resolved once the main restaurant renovations have been finished.

Breakfast was very good as well, huge variety on offer, fresh pastries, cooked food, coffees and papers, all with that stunning view.

Over all a very good stay, 4 1/2 stars and we would go back/

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,120 reviews
The Atlantic Hotel
The Atlantic Hotel
#6 of 38 in Newquay

Been to Watergate Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!