“Good but not good enough for the money.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Watergate Bay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Good but not good enough for the money.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

A friend and I treated ouselves to one of the "best rooms" (£210 a night) after a 24hr charity driving event where we had driven overnight from Scotland. When we arrived about midday we asked about checking in early as we were exhausted. The girl on reception said she would try but I don't think she tried very hard and it took 2 more attempts before we checked in but fair enough check in is 3pm. The room was very nice but to be honest I expected more, infact I went online to check I was in a "Best Room" as there was no balcony, no sea view, small (but very nice) bathroom or anything else to suggest this was "Best". It was a nice room but not worth £210.

We ate a Jamie's 15 rather than Zacry's as we wanted the sea view and the food was great. Following morning we had breakfast in Zacry's and it was very good.

Overall it's a nice place to stay in a great location so they will have no problems filling it but I didn't feel any desire to go rushing back.

Room Tip: Room 23 is a Best Room but it doesn't have a sea view or balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank csquire4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Have stayed here 5-6 times over the last few years and am always impressed. It manages a good balance of high quality and informality. Great rooms, usual comforts, amazing views (especially from the bar and terrace), top breakfast. Room privacy is better on the higher floors inevitably. Scarlet along the coast is probably higher end but Watergate Bay feels more relaxed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Chew Magna, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Over several visits we have stayed in different parts of the hotel but now I will only book if I can stay in one of the magnificent rooms that overlook the beach, especially the ones in the old hotel with the baths in the window. Wonderful and decadent to bathe looking at the fabulous view. Our latest visit was much anticipated looking forward to seeing the changes made in the refurbishment. We really enjoyed the large adults only lounge, where teenagers and well behaved children are tolerated. This reteat is much needed as the wonderful Living Space can descend into a bit of a bun fight when lots of small children are resident (been there and done that thank you!) Our October trip saw us playing lots of board games and warming up after body boarding with well earned and very delicious hot chocolate in the lounge. We also indulged in some treatments and think the new spa is a huge improvement. Of course the hotel can't take credit for the fabulous natural features outside of the door, and without these we wouldn't be there at all. It is splendid to go away for a few days and not have to venture out in the car at all.

Room Tip: Plan ahead and spend the extra on a well located beach front room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bristol, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have always wanted to stay at this hotel. Recently I found myself in the area and tired from driving so decided to stay on a whim. I was on my own but was so well looked after, I had a great stay. The receptionist made sure I had a great deal, I got a sea front room (why wouldn't you when such a great view is on offer?!) and I checked in with no fuss. My room was lovely and clean, bright and had a great balcony with sea views. It was a beautiful day so I spent a few hours looking at the sea. The bed was incredibly comfortable - I don't usually sleep well on the first night but I slept soundly.

I went to Jamie's restaurant for dinner but baulked at paying £19 for a vegetarian dish. I don't mind paying for quality but £19 for a plate of pasta seems ridiculous. So instead I went to the hotel's bar and ordered food. I had a fabulous salad of haloumi and hazelnuts (goes incredibly well) plus two glasses of wine for about the same as just the food alone In 15.

I am definitely going back - next time for longer.

Room Tip: Get a sea front room - worth it for the view. If you think 15 is too expensive (like I did), eat at...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank carebear56
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

fabulous location & facilities & food. Even if you don't fancy surfing in the frigid North Atlantic in May, walking the cliffs & beaches, swimming in the beautiful 25m indoor pool with a view of the ocean (and ample lane-swimming time), or working out in the well-equipped gym room makes for a wonderful break.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Came down over half term for 4 nights. There are so many great things about this hotel and yet some small details that for the money you'd expect to be perfect are not and let it down. Location is fantastic right on the edge of the beautiful bay and a minutes walk from the surf school and beach. Food is very good with a selection of eateries and no bad meal. Service responsive from very friendly and casual staff, all of whom make you so welcome. Pool and outside decking areas are lovely and on a sunny day don't think there can be a lot of better places in the UK.

There are then some little things that let it down and I'd expect to work well for the money - as it's not cheap ! Table tennis for the kids is advertised but it is located in the kids club and every time my children wanted to play there was a private kids club event . So far after 3 days not played a single game, and net broken ! They then went to play pool, only one cue, no white ball, and they could not therefore have a game. Cost to remedy is very little but no one seems to have done anything to sort it out. Came back to room yesterday at 3 30pm and not cleaned etc. Returned having told reception and dirty wine glasses left in room and some rubbish still on floor - shabby.

Overall very relaxing but for the money some of the minor details should have been much better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Chris B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Family holiday to perfection. Watergate Bay Hotel knows how to cater for parents and children alike. Whilst the kids think it's a holiday for them it's actually a holiday for the parents! Luxury and quality in all areas of this beautiful establishment with stunning views and a fab sun terrace. Kids Club is great. And the CCTV kids monitoring service in the hotel room is revolutionary, giving parents total peace of mind whilst enabling them to relax and enjoy drinks and dinner together. We will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Sazza08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,102 reviews
The Atlantic Hotel
The Atlantic Hotel
#7 of 38 in Newquay

Been to Watergate Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!