We decided to get away for the weekend and because we were late had only the bottom end guest houses or top end hotels available. Found this hotel advertised as a hotel with reasonable prices for b&b. Booking was easy via a web-based agency but contacting the hotel for directions etc wasn't. We found out that reception is staffed only for afew minutes each day.
We arrived late and incurred the wrath of th receptionist for not having told her our time of arrival. (we had in an e-mail). Her revenge was not proviiding the sea view we had booked. This led to a shrug of shoulders French-style.
The room was small and basic but adequate for our needs. With a car we were able to get out and about and use the room only to sleep in. I think over the three days we spent less than six hours awake in the room.
Breakfast is at 8.15am and the hotel was full so it was a scrum at the counter. Good choice and being self-service meant you could eat as much or as little as you wanted. Being early my partner and I chose a table in the conservatory part of the dining room. This overlooked the beach and an off-putting swimming pool which appeared to have all sorts of flotsam in it. Then a couple arrived and said we were at their table. Apparently you have to sit at the table corresponding to your room number. We were tucked away at the back of the room - a bit like our bedroom.
Dinner is at 6.15pm! The choice was steak or sea bass at reasonable prices but we ate out
The hotel is right on the beach and probably gets very busy in summer. Newquay is four miles away by either narrow road or coastal path. We had a great early morning walk to Porth and caught a bus back to the hotel for breakfast. Padstow is 11 miles away.
Leaving the hotel we had a run-in with reception again. Plans to leave straight after breakfast was dashed because reception opened at thier convenience.
Hotels had better get the hang of the idea that customers are their reason for being and not an inconvenience. We love Cornwall and are already planning a return visit before the end of summer but although the Tregurrian has a lot going for it until they sort out their attitude we won't be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tregurrian Villas are 3 superbly appointed self-catering holiday villas just 100 yards from the sandy beach at Watergate Bay. Accommodation includes two ground floor bedrooms including one double and one twin room with an upstairs kitchen/diner and lounge with a sofa bed. There's a deluxe bathroom plus a separate toilet. The fully equipped kitchen includes a cooker, microwave, dishwasher, fridge and separate freezer compartment, washing machine, tumble dryer, iron and board plus a wide range of kitchen utensils, crockery and cutlery. There's a TV and DVD player in one of the bedrooms plus a widescreen TV and DVD player in the lounge. There's free WiFi throughout. The villas are fully centrally heated with double glazing and a smoke alarm system. There's also a safe. Bed linen, towels and tea towels are all provided with beds being fully made up for your arrival. Dogs are welcome in two of the villas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Tregurrian Villas at Watergate Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tregurrian Hotel Cornwall
- Tregurrian Hotel Apartments
- Tregurrian Villas At Watergate Bay Newquay, Cornwall