“lovely location not so lovely staff”
Review of Glendorgal Hotel

Glendorgal Hotel
Ranked #83 of 106 Newquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding which was lovely but.....we had an elderly man in a wheelchair with us. The ushers had to carry him around in his chair as it was the only way to get him around for photos. They had no disabled toilet or ramps anywhere. We were hotching him up and down steps all day. The hotel itself is overpriced my advice wold be to shop around Newquay is full of hotels with fabulous views for a lot less money and a lot better service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sar695

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I regularly use the Glendorgal Hotels conference facilities for my company, to hold show rooms for our products. The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble. The views are amazing and the bedrooms are extremely comfortable.
I enjoy it here so much I try to come back for long weekends away too.
Brock makes organising the showrooms so easy that I wouldn't consider using anywhere else in this location.
Thanks to all the staff, you are great.

Room Tip: Worth the extra to pay for a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Glendorgal self-catering cottages are in a wonderful location, but this is where it stops. The units are old and run down, and generally in very shabby condition. The beds were exteremely uncomfortabpe, there were stains and marks all over the walls and floors, the unit was not properly cleaned when we arrived, and when we sent an e-mail to the general manager, we received no response. The crockery and cutlery did not match, and there was even a teaspoon from an airline in amongst things. I would definitely not recommend this resort, amd am going to be taking the issue up with RCI.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank RobMuller
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed at the Glendorgal to celebrate a birthday party. The hotel location is stunning, but I'm afraid the hotel is far from being at a standard one would expect for the inflated prices it charges.
Spa facilities were ok, though the steam room listedin its literature hasn't been a feature 'for a long time'.
Our room was ok, and we had a sea view, but the bathroom lacks a shelf or any coat hooks.
In the evening the bar closed around 11.30pm and guests are asked to let staff know if they plan to return after 11pm - it's like being back in the 70s!
Breakfast was chaotic. There were no plates for the toast, no butter, coffee (which was self service), coffee cups, milk or forks. Continental breakfast was a choice of two cereals, some prunes and yoghurt. No pastries, no cold meats, no sliced fruit (just a couple of whole apples and pears). These may seem petty points but the room price was £146pn and the breakfast £12.
This place could be outstanding - it just needs management and higher standards.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NeilT1
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The view from the hotel is amazing, and thats the reason people book here, it can't be anything else.
We were in room 18, there was a knocking noise all night that drove me crazy, it seemed to come from inside a wall near the bathroom so possibly some pipes. We told reception when we checked out and yet nothing was made of this.
Breakfast was far too expensive, £24 for 2 . we ate at wetherspoons for 1/4 of the price and only a short stroll into town .
The hotel needs updating, and so does the 'spa' area, the pool has no windows to it, and was dark and uninviting, we did try the spa pool which was ok, again it needs modernising. We were sadly dissapointed with our stay.
All in all, there are much nicer hotels in Newquay, with equally good views.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank soulfixins
Reviewed 6 June 2011

If you read negative reports on this hotel then ignore them. I have just returned from a weekend break and stayed at the Glendorgal. The hotel was more than I expected. The room was large and very clean. I ate in the restaurant and the meal was first class and at a resonable price. The breakfast was good and all you would expect. It was cooked as requested. The staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble, ask a question and you get a answer with a smile. I looked on trip advisor and thought I had made a mistake, this was totally wrong. The hotel is a very nice and welcoming. It is situation in a stunning position with great views. My only negative comment was I would have prefered a better view but as I dont spend hours in a room then it was acceptable

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the sea
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheneyblue
Reviewed 6 May 2011

we choose to stay at the glendorgal as we were considering having are wedding here but wanted to check it out on the quiet first, glendorgal hotel is set in a beautiful position, in my opinion it need s a massive makeover not only are the rooms overpriced for the standard of decor, but a joke when you have an air duct outside that makes the worse noise i have ever heard they should really consider moving it to a less visible and less noisy location, specially when your paying over the odds for a sea view. You can hear neighbours very clearly at night so be warned if you happen to have a snorer next door you wont get any sleep.
the meals are adequate though definitely not to a high standard the choice of drinks are poor and over priced specially when most can be purchased at over half the price they sell them at the local supermarket, breakfast well were to start was the worst i have had in fact we went to a local cafe which was 100% better than we had at the hotel and at half the price.
overall this place is overpriced, food adequate and over priced for the standard, and definitely will not be booking any further accommodation here and definitely not a wedding i feel sorry for any bride to be choosing this place and not road testing it first

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple