“Much more than we could have ever expected!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Well where do I start!

We booked our holiday through the Sun newspaper. From reading some of the reviews we were exspecting a dump, this place was far form that.

Upon arrival we were greated with smiles at the front desk and advised how to get to our accomadation, which was lovely after our long 8 hour drive. The mobile home was clean and HUGE, there was only four of us so it was a surprize when we were given an 8 birth home. It was clean and tidy (the oven looked like it had never been used!) With a full size fridge (great as we brought all our food with us) and standard size shower.

After taking in our bags and beers in the fridge we decided to take a wonder down to the beach. It was absoulty beautiful. I have never seen such a nice beach in England!

The club house severed cheep drinks and the staff were nice, the entertainment was more for the kids but we still enjoyed it.

All in all we wished we had booked the whole week, definitely worth the long drive!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank kylie_wilkinson

Reviewed 3 May 2011

The holiday was a late booking for an Easter Break at Holywell Bay. We booked into an average caravan, we didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised with the caravan and the facilities on the site.
The site is quite small and quiet compared to many, with the caravans nicely spaced throughout the site. Good areas of grass and two recently constructed childrens play areas.On-site shop sells all required items, although Morrisons a few miles down the road in Newquay was our choice every time.
Facilities include shop,laundrette,amusements,entertainment room,bar and pool with water slide.Beach is a small walk away, down a path and across the sand dunes.
New entertainment room is very well furnished to a high standard with a good quality show for young children, with free WiFi available.
Overall an enjoyable holiday.

1  Thank James_Sam
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have stayed at various sites in and around Newquay both in tourers and in statics for 30 years and have stayed at Holywell Bay several times before. The location is superb if you are a beach lover and last week was hot and sunny so we were glad to have booked it again. I think however the good weather caught the management out as they did not seem up to speed with some basic things around the site. The wheelie bins were overflowing most days and the seagulls went to town and made the place a disgusting mess most mornings. The bar was busy and didn't seem to have enough staff, grass was not mowed etc etc.
Our biggest gripe however was that we paid top price for the new 2011 caravan which was fine but in the next 2 caravans there were 18 young people in the 2 vans plus a motorhome parked and occupied in the car parking space. My understanding is that motorhomes should pay for and be sited on the touring area not in amongst the statics. Our first night was hell with rowdy behaviour until 2 am. There was no site security we could see and although it did quieten down after we complained a little for the rest of the holiday (I guess they must have had a quite word) it was far from perfect with noise well after midnight from various other vans on the site. I am sure a security guard wandering around would have solved the issue. This will be the last time I stay at Holywell Bay as it has left me feeling sad that such a good site allows large group to spoil the holidays for families such as mine. The swimming pool was also closed which given the weather would have been ideal

Reviewed 2 May 2011

I took my family away to holywell bay this weekend 29apr-2nd may!

Firstly I would ignore what the last review says. The carvan is set in a beautiful area. Rolling hills all around and lots of great views. We manged to check in 45 mins early which was good. The caravan was ok. I chose a newlyn caravan, the only problem was it was a bit small, but that was down to myself as u didn't look at the specs properly!!! DOH!! The facilities at the park are great. A nice big pool with slide! Even I would use heated pool loosely! Brrr!! There are plently of machines foe the kids and adults alike, pool and air hockey tables!! The clubhouse us very nice! The food was great. About what you would expect to pay in a holiday park. Drinks from £3.20 for a pint of carling. The entertainment was well done. My 2 kids and niece loved it. It's bit butlins or haven by all means but really enjoyable. The parkdean troopers were really good.

The beach is beautiful. You don't have to walk over the sand dunes! You can go around them. If the weather was a but warmer the trunks would of gone on! Lol!

U can use this park as a perfect base to venture around cornwall.

My family and I would love to return to this park, though with a bigger caravan!!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at Parkdean, Holywell Bay.
The park is situated in the Elenglaze valley and is very remote if you don't have a car, as the nearest supermarket is Morrison’s in Newquay which is a 15 min car journey. Even though I drive I did not see a bus pass the park in all the time I was there, so if you don't have a car you will have to stay on the park if you can call it that.

If you are like me and are used to the bigger parks of Haven and other Parkdean sites then you will be disappointed at the services on offer.
They say they have Amusements, I don't think 5 slot machines and 2 arcade games can constitute as an Amusements especially as I found out after one of the machines broke and refused to pay out the prize my niece had won that the park DOESN'T even own there machines and we would have to wait for the technician who would arrive after my stay had ended meaning it wasn't an option or they could refund me the 30p play even though I had put in over £3 to win the prize.

There is no longer a takeaway as some other posters have said as this has been replaced by the Elenglaze Bar & Grill, which is overpriced as you can get a medium plate of fish and chips for £7.95! although I will say the food is of a good standard.

The entertainment is of a poor standard as they do not stick to time tables which resulted in my niece missing her favourite Sid and Lizzie characters on all but 1 of the nights we stayed.

If you like to be active on holiday then you will not be spending much time on the park as there is nothing for people over 5 to during the day, I ended up driving to the near by Haven at Perran Sands which has everything from Burger King to Poppa Johns Pizza and an indoor swimming pool.

Now onto the beach, it is a beautiful beach, its a shame that it is not 10 mins away as they say but more like 15-20 mins walk. The only way you colud get there in 10 mins would be to run. A word of warning to anyone with a disabled relative, you will NOT be able to get to the beach, I was very annoyed that they do not advertise anywhere that the beach is unsuitable for people with disabilities as the only way to get to the beach is down a massive slope across grass lands and a stream and then over a 20ft sand dune, the reason for the disappointment was the fact that this is the only holiday my disabled mother will go on this year and always wants to see the sea but could not as it was to inaccessible to her.

The accommodation is of a good standard and clean but nothing to shout home about, I stayed in a porthreath and found it clean and sufficient but the cooker did not work and when the reception was told, they told us they could fix it once we had left, which is of no use to me and mad me wonder if it is a scam to get you buy food in the overpriced Ellenglaze Bar & Grill as I spoke to a few people staying at the park and they all seemed to have broken cookers which the park refused to fix.

I will NOT be going back to Holywell Bay anytime soon, I think I will stick to the much better and more well run Parkdean at Croyde Bay, Devon called Ruda as the surf is just as good if not better and there is more to see and do on the park.

I will end on saying that the staff behind the bar are great, efficient and friendly its a shame they are let down by the arrogant staff in reception.

Reviewed 5 January 2011

Ive just read some of the recent reviews put on here and thought compelled to write. We had a absolutely fantastic time staying at holywell bay. We paid the extra and stayed in the trewan caravan, a lovely caravan load of space around it and it backed onto the ellenglaze. Waking up every morning and looking out of our bedroom window to the nature reserve was lovely and so relaxing.
The kids loved the outside adventure play area and the pool. Also it was helped that we had fantastic weather. My daughter loved the stunning beach as she is a total beach babe!
The only reason we are not going back this year is the fact we have to take a holiday earlier in the year and there is no indoor pool - this is the only improvement i would make, that and build new toilets in the showbar as they werent nice.
Fantastic time had by all

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2010

After reading some negative reviews I thought we had been to a different holiday park. We booked very late and so only had a cheaper caravan which was located alongside the camping field. However, despite it's old design (galley type) kitchen, we were completed satisfied with our accomodation. The park was in a lovely setting with a stream running through it. It is in a valley which is the reason for no mobile phone reception - not the parks fault. The staff in reception were very friendly and helpful, and we managed to get our keys a couple of hours early, despite the park being fully booked. We knew beforehand that there was no restaurant on site but Morrisons is only about a ten minute drive away so food shopping was no problem. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and for a small park the club was well used. We did only go in the club once, but as we hadn't got our grandchildren with us, that was enough for us. The little children in the club were having a great time and it was easy for the parents to look after them as it wasn't too big. The outside pool was open and well used. The beach is amazing, however you have to negotiate sand dunes at high tide and so probably not good for wheelchair users, although the park is on the flat. Saying that Perranporth is not far away where access is easy. The only negative statement is that the small shop is overpriced...but all holiday park shops are...and the take-away was again slightly pricey and not much of a range...but if you don't mind doing your own catering this park is really lovely.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShropshireAnn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Newquay View Resort
#4 of 79 in Newquay
St. Christopher's Inn Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!