“Should be brilliant, but it isn't.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Recently stayed at this holiday camp. Had an extra wide caravan in a thankfully peaceful area of the park. It was clean enough, and the kitchen was better than we expected. The front windows of the caravan weren't designed to be opened, which given the heat was not welcomed. The shower tray took ages to drain, a pain but we managed. Locking the door was equally a challenge - warped flimsy door!
The beds were awful!! So uncomfy. New mattresses needed please! If you go, take extra bedding to lie on! (It did look clean though, so that's a bonus!)
The EllenGlaze bar and restaurant is a rip off. We complained so much we got our money back, but fear that won't happen to everyone who does this.
The pool is lovely, but sadly the slide is only open for a few minutes every hour, so a huge queue soon forms, meaning you can only ride the slide once, before a long break to ride it again.
It would be much welcomed that they introduce some form of land train to collect people (even for an additional charge) from around the site and take it to the pub car park (St Pirans Inn) for the beach. It was very tiring for small children to walk quite a long way, and with all the beach 'stuff' we all need to take.
Tent/camping people can do with an additional toilet block at the far end!
A bigger/better playground area for 10-15 year olds would also be a welcomed site.
PS - Wifi didn't work - in fact no phone signal either.

1  Thank AliceStAbb
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your review of Holywell Bay.

Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I arrive 1 1/2 hours after check in, hoping to get on to my pitch , I check in and head over to my pitch only to find a family on it already set up with a caravan and awning, I ask them to check and to their amazement they were on the wrong pitch they said that they were told to go to that pitch and did not look at their paperwork!! I went back to reception to tell them and they said that the other people would have to move, and I would have to wait for them to move pitches which would take them hours!! The receptionist was very rude to me and unhelpful .And then it would take me time to put up my tent!! They came down to reception refusing to move , and said they would move next sat when I leave as it took them all day to get set up! , the pitch I was left with was on a hill and less than half of it with grass! And massive holes made by caravans/ motor homes , Which ended up going under my beds , I had requested a dog friendly pitch and to be close to my other family members in there static home , and was told I would be 30 ft away more like 300ft I brought my 3 children with me who two would be staying in the caravan with nanny and grandad as I did not have the room , I had no idea they would put me that far away from my children who are 3-5 years old! And to top it off the shower block was no wear to be seen ! It was a very long walk to get washed , they should have been put in the middle of the campsite !!! Not at the entrance.
Going to the loo in the night with little children not good . Lots of wet beds !!
The caravan was very dated and we ended up not having hot water one day and the cooker tool over an hour and half to cook a 45min pie!! The swimming pool was dirty you could not see two foot in front of you or the bottom !! I wonder how the life guards can see if any one had drowned !! And they did not rotate either their was no clear standards for them once I took my children to the pool and the life guards were sitting down on the side of the pool next to each other chatting wile chilling their legs off !!
The Ellenglaze restaurant was hot and stuffy !! Could not spend any time in their! We ordered take out on our last night and spent over £45 on 10 burgers and chips and we only had a maximum of 10 chips in the biggest box and they got our order wrong my dad ended up with out any dinner !! When I went back to speak to them to rectify it they gave my some more chips as an apology and some of our money back ! No wear near the basic standards it should be at charging £1.75 for 10 chips I don't think so !!
If your going to go to Holywell bay , purely so you can be close to the beach plan your own meals . Don't eat their food or order take out!! Or their is a much nicer campsite just out side right on the beach but that one does not have the pool or entertainment !!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rouge2_2

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to read of your disappointment on your visit to Holywell Bay, we'd like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your comments.

Please send us your details to Tripadvisorservice@parkdean.com and one of the team will be in touch to discuss.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

when we arrived, and walked into our caravan, I was absolutely disgusted at the smell of it. everything was yellowy nicotine stained and smelt awful. we had 4 children, 2 of which were under 2 staying with us .
there was no way I was staying there. my parents who arrived 1 hour before us and had been sitting on the sofas, their clothes smelt awful like ashtrays.
I went to the reception to tell them what was wrong with the caravan, and I was surprised at how lovely they were.
I ended up speaking to the 2nd in command, who without question switched our caravan.
we ended up with a lovely new caravan and a sincere apology from the staff.
but please Park Dean, get caravan 111 by the clubhouse sorted out.
it is not appropriate given health and safety legislation to put families in this caravan especially with babies and toddlers.

The rest of the park was lovely, the parks and swimming area was great with lots of life guards on hand, everywhere was clean and litter free. and the club house was great for childrens entertainment, in the evenings.

I would definitely stay again, but NOT in this caravan. it truly was horrendous and not appropriate for anyone let alone small children who would've ended up smelling like ash trays.

please pass my thanks on to the 2nd in command lady at reception who saved our holiday and made it a pleasant stay in the end.

Room Tip: terrible phone signal , but there is free wifi in the clubhouse.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your honest review of Holywell Bay.

We're sorry to hear of your experience and are pleased that the team quickly resolved this with you, to allow you to enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Your feedback is very important to us and once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just returned from a fantastic week at Holywell, the location of the park is excellent and the weather was amazing.

We have stayed at Holywell twice before and also at Crantock, which was excellent. The caravan we stayed in for this visit was disappointing. We were in a Trevose caravan which was right outside the clubhouse. My heart sank when we were handed the key as I knew right from the start we weren't in for a quiet time with the location of the caravan.

Initial thoughts of the caravan were pretty good, it was clean and tidy and well equipped for our stay but at a closer inspection the upholstery in the lounge and dining area was not good. The seating area was heavily stained and threadbare, it also smelt. I had taken cleaning products with me so I cleaned the seats before we unpacked and sat down! This still didn't remove the smell so we had to invest in a popular brand of fabric freshener to keep spraying on it. We did mention this to reception and they said they would send someone out from housekeeping to have a look, not sure if anyone did come and have a look as we were out for the day, nothing was done. The upholstery and the carpets in the bedroom need updating.

We went to use the oven on our 1st night and the shelf collapsed as it was broken. We also went to use the grill in the morning but it didn't light with the ignition. We didn't have a lighter as we are non smokers so couldn't light it. We did go to reception and someone was sent out, he didn't fix the grill and just rammed the shelf back in the oven so it looked fixed. Went to use it and it broke again so had to go to reception again. This time a gas engineer was sent to fix the grill and oven shelf fixed, should of done this the 1st time.

The bathroom stank of urine as well, no matter how many times I bleached the toilet, the walls and the floor the smell remained.

It was very noisy at night because of the location of the caravan, the doors to the club remained open until closing time, which varied from night to night but was usually around midnight. The weather was glorious and hot but being respectful to the residents close by the doors need to be closed and maybe have some air-conditioning if its too hot to have the doors closed.

We did have a good week and the children made lots of friends during our stay but the caravan did let it down. It wasn't one of the most expensive vans but if you go to it during the month of August you'll have to part with £900 to stay in one.

1  Thank teacher1202
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for your review of Holywell Bay.

We are sorry to learn that we didn't quite get your experience just right but are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We have shared your comments with the management teat at Holywell Bay to be aware of.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent 4 nights camping at Holywell Bay. On arrival the reception staff were very helpful in getting us on our pitch ASAP.
The pich was spacious and tidy. Facilites were close by which was good. The toilets and showers were generally clean but in need of updating along with the washing up facilities.
What was great about the park was that we felt safe with the kids, they were able to play close by and the site is wardened day and night.
The beach was only 5/10 mins walk away along a safe road/path and the beach itself is lovely with the sand dunes and the small river/pool that flows to the sea which is perfect for the smaller kids to play and paddle in.
The club house is quite small but is smart and modern and the food is nice and also reasonable. The kids clubs were also a highlight.
We had a safe, worry free, happy holiday with the kids - what more could you ask for. We will definatly be returning :-)

Thanks for your review.

Great to hear you'll be returning and that you and your family had a great stay :)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at this site at the begnning of July with our dog. Caravan was spotless when we arrived and was cleaned by a lady called Sue (who we left some money for so I hope you got it Sue). Caravan had everything we needed. It is near the beach which is a nice flat walk and the beach there is beautiful. Did not use the clubhouse so we cannot comment. We were placed at the kiddies playground (which we did think was odd as some children do not like dogs even though ours is very little and tied on a long lead) which was not a problem some of the kids come to see our dog Sox every day and play ball with him.

There is a pub about 5 minutes walk away (or you can cut through a little alley which is one the way to the beach) called The Treguth Inn which I would highly recommend.

The site is in a good location. You have a Morrisons about 3 miles away if you need a supermarket.

would definitely stay at this site again.

Room Tip: Caravan 73 was very nice and is a dog caravan
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of Holywell Bay.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you're coming back soon :)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I cannot complain about the location of this site. The thing that annoys me about Parkdean, Haven & Park Resorts is that they ask you to give feedback after you have stayed (has anyone actually won a free break for doing this?) and then your comments are totally ignored!

Why does the swimming pool at Holywell Bay (like others around the country) close so early? Why can't they stay open till 7, 8 or even 9pm?

Whilst on the subject of the swimming pool, be careful at Holywell Bay, because the life guards are more interested in larking about than looking after anyone's safety. Signs say no diving, but each time I went swimming people were jumping, diving or being thrown in the pool without any action from the life guards.

I would not stay at Holywell Bay again as I have not gone back to a site I have stayed at before but would stay at another Parkdean site, so come on Parkdean extend the swimming pool hours!

2  Thank Jimbogalaxy
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your honest review of Holywell Bay.

We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your comments, If you could please send your details to tripadvisorservice@parkdean.com with a suitable time for us to contact you.

Chevon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Perran Sands Holiday Park - Haven
Newquay View Resort
Newquay View Resort
#4 of 78 in Newquay

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!