“Loved it, will be back next year”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Loved it, will be back next year”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

As a group of 6 friends we needed somewhere with a lot to offer and Holywell Bay park had this. Good food, great distance to the beach and decent accommodation. Our caravan was clean, a few broken things but was expected as they aren't new. We had enough room for us all to be comfortable. We always had something to do and we had the advantage of being able to drive so this meant trips to Newquay were only 10 minutes down the road. Even on days we stayed at the beach and caravan park the day was filled with trips to the pool, walks and food from the on site restaurant. Really like that there were two local pubs right on our doorstep to visit at night. Being young we had a budget, we feel we got much more than we could have wished for due to the price of the holiday and everything at the park and surrounding areas was well priced. Staff were all friendly and really helpful, especially when an issue with our oven occurred someone from the team came out within the next half an hour to fix it. Another issue was no signal and wifi was rubbish but had a really good time and will be back next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1Cara1

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
yorkshire
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This was a 'sun' holiday for my daughter and her young children, although it wasn't my cup of tea the kids had a fantastic time, public areas were really clean, excellent location. Few bits and bobs in caravan could have been better but everything there that you needed - for the price it was great value

• Stayed June 2014
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

caravan was poor condition kitchen worktop lifting on joints no pat testing on fridge /frezzer telly microwave no emission test health and safety cooker dirty mouldy bed seetee and curtains
teenagers nothing for them trying entertaining them ? beech close by was good bar was poor every night had to wait for food and drinks over 20 min need more staff entertainment was poor only 2 girls had to work socks off mobile phone signal none on park wifi none existent park needs to be upgraded before 2015 leaking gutters on main building would never go back to park only for beech and surfing

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nick M
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear about your experience and we hope the team were able to discuss this with you during your stay.

We'd like to reassure you that all equipment is regularly inspected and maintained by professional's in all of our holiday homes and we appreciate you making us aware of your concerns.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Been going to Holywell bay now for about 18 years we go now in the May bank holiday 24th for 7 nights and it's just as enjoyable now as it's always been. I think parkdean taking over has added a bit more to the site service and entertainment I would say if you like haven sites you may not like Holywell we like them both and visit both in the year but this site has all that we need a clean well kept site with a shop and entertainment for all the food in the elenglaze bar is very nice and then a short walk though the site brings you to the fantastic st pirians pub and then the beech and this is second to none all I would say is I took my girls there when they were kids and now take my grandkids and they love it and we've booked for next year and they've let us book for 9nights
Maria and Barry Manchester

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank maria g
East Grinstead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Holywell Bay - the beach - is our goto beach in the UK, an amazing piece of land and just beautiful when the sun shines. That said, why not stay on the park closest to the beach itself - Parkdeans Holywell Bay Holiday Park?

We stayed in a Portreath Caravan which Parkdean themselves describe as "a moden caravan" and "a high spec van". Our experience would seem to offer a different opinion:

> Mould on the wall of one of the twin rooms which had spread onto one of the mattresses.
> Main bed collapsed and on close inspection, the frame was badly bent
> A heavily corroded cooker with a broken grill door
> A glass door that wouldnt open or close without a hefty kick (I couldnt get the second door to open at all, even after housekeeping showed me how to do it)
> Black "gunk" along the bottom of the fridge door.
> Rusted kitchen window blind and corroded radiators.
> And a bathroom light pull which I ended up bleaching.

The plot our van was on backed into heavy trees which hadnt been cut back which put the rear half of the van in permanent darkness. The tree evidentally had a wasp nest in it somewhere which meant we had to keep our daughters window closed.

And finally, we were almost opposite five wheelie bins which were empited but once in the week we were there. In the heat the smell was pretty "high", and of course, Seagulls

Personally found the zero wifi, zero phone signal very annoying, but I guess I cant hold that against Parkdean - if they cant afford to make sure the beds dont collapse, I can hardly expect a few free wifi hot spots about the place (there is one but its so slow it may as well not count)

We booked three holidays in Devon/Cornwall this year all costing around £1100 for a week for us and the three kids - the other two were Mullacott Cross and the very excellent Hendra which is just around the corner - this one was the most expensive of the three and the poorest overall.

I've tried to post a complaint to Parkdean themselves, but their complaints page of their website doesnt work. I'm not sure I'm surprised. We wont be going back.

Room Tip: Dont book a van that's more than 2 years old
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve E
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Holywell Bay.

We appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to look into your concerns for you.

Manchester
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My family and myself (wife and 4 kids) have just returned from a weeks stay at Holywell Bay and I can honestly say I found very little to fault. We stayed in an Ellenglaze 3 bed caravan, new for 2014. This was very clean upon arrival with beds made. Had everything you would want in a caravan including dvd player which was a godsend for our 2 year old when preparing to go out for the day. Peppa Pig overload! We stayed in number 135 which is located at the far end of the park opposite the camping site. Very quiet at night.

The site itself is small but this is what we wanted. In the past we have been to other sites with large arcades and easily find ourselves giving the kida £10 per night to go and play on them. At this resort the arcade is very small and it didn't really interest our older two girls. This was an added bonus for us as per reasons above. Saved a fortune :)

The food in the restaurant was average. We were advised of wait times for food which is fine by me. The longest we had to wait was 45 minutes. The bar staff were friendly and if it wasn't too busy at the bar, would find time to have a chat with you.

The evening entertainment was slightly disappointing. Same two girls on every night. They work their socks off I'll give them that but the facilities don't give them much to work with. The stage is very small. The same two girls however also run the kids clubs in the mornings which are great. My 2 year old and 5 year old daughters loved it :)

The location to the beach is great. Just a 10 minute walk down a path brings you to the wonderful Holywell Bay Beach. It really does have something for everyone. Sand dunes, stream, rock pools, caves, lovely sand and obviously the sea itself. Absolutely stunning!

The only negatives for me are petty really. The doors in the caravan are really squeaky which was a problem when trying to get a two year old to sleep. Told you it was petty. The other point is the wifi. Now I thought this wouldn't bother me but it did become frustrating at times. You can get wifi in the restaurant in the morning when it is fairly empty but in the evening....no chance. Again no big issue as you get a signal at the top of the hill and you can on certain areas of the beach (top of sand dunes).

Overall I would return here again. I came here 26 years ago as a kid and wanted my girls to share some of my memories and create their own that we can now share. We certainly did that ao thank you Holywell Bay. We had a blast :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We went to Holywell Bay in June on a Sun Holiday but would not go back. We upgraded to a better caravan where the beds were made up for you on arrival however, when we got there, the caravan was very nice and clean but there wasn't even any bed linen let alone made up beds! We went to the reception to complain and were told that someone would come and sort it straight away. An hour later, a man came with bundles of linen in bags and dumped them outside the door then drove away leaving us to make the 3 beds ourselves so we weren't impressed. The entertainment was awful and is in the same place as the restaurant so you can't have a peaceful meal if you want one, the arcade is very small with hardly any working machines, One thing that is lovely is the beach that is about 10 minutes walk away. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at Holywell Bay.

We are sorry to learn about how the team handled your missing bed linen, we have shared your comments with our management team.

Chevon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Perran Sands Holiday Park - Haven
Newquay View Resort
Newquay View Resort
#5 of 75 in Newquay
Pentire Haven Holiday Park

Been to Parkdean - Holywell Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!